Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some tires in storage in my garage. I recently had a house fire. Fortuately, the fire did not spread to the garage. However, I was wondering if my tires have been damaged from the exposure to the extreme heat from the fire. They look ok.
If anyone has any authority on this issue, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Fire damage would be visual i.e. melted rubber. Tires get very hot from just daily use, they are built to withstand it. I think you're fine.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
First just visually check for any physical damage. Then check the tire pressure and then inflate them to spec. See if they lose air over a couple of days. If all seems fine then you should be ok.

·
54,424 Posts
hmm how hot is extreme? tires generally can handle high temps ok for short durations. only thing that would be of concern would be if they baked at high temp for hours on end. that could cause damage to the adhesives in the tire plys.

·
Red Beast
1,164 Posts
If you are really concerned you could maybe take it to a tire shop and have them inspect the tires.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
True, But you'll probably get Larry, Moe, and Curly shrugging their shoulders and telling you they have no idea (or convincing you to drop a few hundred in their shop for new ones).

Who knows who may answer but I doubt you'll find anyone with any real authority here. We have a lot of diverse backgrounds (I could talk for hours about diesel engines or batteries in medical devices) but I don't think anyone here works for a tire manufacturer.

My -guess- agrees that if they look OK, then they'll be OK. Get them on some wheels if they aren't already, inflate them, and see if they hold air (be mindful that temperature changes will affect tire pressure, so try and check them at the same temp each time). If they hold air, I'd drive on them. I think if you did have any issues, you'll notice it as something like a shake in the steering wheel, loss of air pressure, premature wearing out, etc. I would not expect one to suddenly pop on the highway. That's just an opinion though.

Sorry to hear about the house being on fire, that sucks!

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
hmm how hot is extreme? tires generally can handle high temps ok for short durations. only thing that would be of concern would be if they baked at high temp for hours on end. that could cause damage to the adhesives in the tire plys.
I was going to say the same thing. They should be fine, but I would also think you could list them as property damage under your home insurance.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
check for cracks in the rubber.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
The key to how hot they got will be revealed by objects around them like a sheetrock wall or the surface of the floor under them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts