Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
From the Internet
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yes, it's another dreaded headlight thread, but onto my point.

As I was hanging with some buds of mine the other night, we hung out with a bunch of people from the local street "scene" and there was one terrible thing I noticed on about 80% of all the cars with aftermarket chrome headlights: it's all yellowy and faded and makes the lights look like ass.

My stock headlights are chrome but they haven't faded one bit that I know of. Is there some reason aftermarket headlights do this? And is this one of the reasons everyone buys black headlights instead of chrome?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I bought the black ones just because I like the way they look better...that, and I'm not a big fan of chrome unless its on an old hot rod or a Harley (and even then it's got to be just right)...

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Everyone choose black rather than chrome because it doesn't look like rice.
Chrome is kind of like LEDs, too many people use it and don't know what they're doing so it looks horrible...

If done right it can look nice, otherwise (as already stated) you've just made yourself a ricer...

that, and I'm not a big fan of chrome unless its on an old hot rod or a Harley (and even then it's got to be just right)...
One of the few things with a lot of chrome that I've actually liked is my dad's Harley...

·
Lenny
657 Posts
Everyone choose black rather than chrome because it doesn't look like rice.
I don't really agree with this. Chrome doesn't always look like rice. I have plenty of chrome accents and think I have pulled them off quite tastefully. I think the real factor comes down to the color of the car.

·
From the Internet
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really agree with this. Chrome doesn't always look like rice. I have plenty of chrome accents and think I have pulled them off quite tastefully. I think the real factor comes down to the color of the car.
Exactly. Look at the COTM. It's blue, close to mine, but not quite (mines steel blue pearl, I think). It has chrome headlights, and looks really good.

But is there any way to stop the fading? Other than simply leaving the car in a garage?

·
jDm tYt3, y0!
322 Posts
I dont think you could stop the fading persay... but you could keep it at bay by polishing it every once in a while with a headlight restorer compound or some other polishing compound to keep it looking newish.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Waxing them, or using a plastic restore would help slow down the effects of yellow hazing, but the best solution is to keep them out of direct sun light for lenghts of time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts