Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this car up in July of 2016, and have been very slowly fixing it up. Bought it for $1k knowing it needed a head gasket(among several other ones), a timing belt, and now struts. Haven't taken any pictures until yesterday, so it's already apart. Just need to remove a few more things and get to measuring the surfaces. I'll be using a complete head gasket set from Fel-Pro, new cylinder head bolts from Fel-Pro, and new NGK Laser Iridium Plugs since I'm already down there. The spark plug wires look good, so I'll be skipping those.

Car lifted up in my tiny apartment garage:

Closer shot of the engine bay, once I get some more stuff pulled out, I'll probably add pictures of all the sludge that was everywhere:

Front Bank Close-up:

Rear Bank Close-up:

Spark Plugs I yanked out, glad to see NGK in there. If anyone has any foresight, or hindsight, based on these plugs, please let me know. They were covered in oil, and the engine hasn't been on since July:

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
I would stay away from felpro. They've produced defective head gaskets for the V6 and their valve cover gaskets do not fit. The rest of their gaskets suck also. Victor Reinz makes a great rebuild gasket set for cheap from rock auto.

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would stay away from felpro. They've produced defective head gaskets for the V6 and their valve cover gaskets do not fit. The rest of their gaskets suck also. Victor Reinz makes a great rebuild gasket set for cheap from rock auto.
Damn, I wish I would have looked into that sooner. I bought the set back in July and already opened the box. Do you think it would last 30k miles or so? Looking at that Victor Reinz kit, looks like it has a few more parts included too. :(

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Well if the gaskets are defective there won't be any lasting at all. I had a set of felpro's head gaskets and weren't cut appropriately and went in with a wrinkle. Of course it was close enough that it was not noticeable until the engine put 3 quarts of coolant in the oil and blew it blew out the intake pipe through the PCV system. Which happened the first time the motor was out.

The valve cover gaskets you simply won't get into place. They don't fit in the slot in the valve cover, even if you think you get it you will find that it squirts out somewhere. Those you won't have any choice in replacing with something else.

Victor makes a lot of quality products. Most of their gaskets are supplied by OEM suppliers and those that are not are perfect replacements.

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update on this disaster of a project. Going to be moving to LA soon, so I'll have it all put together in a couple of days. I notice a small amount of oil is leaking on the front head gasket, but I'll just have to do the job again or hope it lasts until I can get a different motor. I could blame Felpro, but considering how nice the cylinder heads surface was, compared to the bottom end, I have my doubts about the block. All I really have left is some pulleys by timing belt, and cleaning up the bottom of car so I can actually see leaks in the future. I'll give an update on how it runs and how much oil it does leak when I get it going.

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I threw it all back together two days ago, had a nasty sounding vacuum leak from the Fel Pro TB gasket, flipped it around(it looks really weird, thought another corner was the "protrusion"), and everything is nice and tight. It was burning a lot of crap off; coolant, oil, god knows what else, but it all seems to be gone now. The oil that was leaking is no longer finding it's way out after some red permatex gasket maker. Still eludes me where the oil was coming from, especially since it was leaking before the engine was even turned, but oh well. She sounds amazing, runs very well, and only thing left is to get her registered again. I do have some bad squeaks on the front passenger side and rear driver side, but I'll address those later. Car did bottom out a bit until I filled the tires up with more air, but something still seems off about it. I can't take bumps like my Eclipse RS can, not sure if I should throw full strut assemblies at it yet. Can't wait to take it out on the freeway again, and then I'll know what else to prioritize. I'll take some pics tomorrow as I work nights now.

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Replacing my rear head gasket again, hopefully will be done with my coolant issues after this. Car runs great, but that rear corner was completely shot, amazing how much liquid flows out when trying to fill radiator. Going to see if I can do this without removing the motor mount and alternator, since it's only the rear.

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All gaskets were done already, only thing I was missing was water pump and the o ring for distributor. Unfortunately the water pump was leaking too, so I replaced that this morning, car is running like a champ. Had to swap my struts from my RS to this GT, but at least it's not bottoming out anymore. Plugs and wires were changed a while before I got the car actually, and what do you mean do the injectors? You think those need to be replaced?

·
2000 RS
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car has been running great still, wheel bearings went out on front end, and oh boy, can't wait to swap them and take pics. I got down to them and found that the tie rod is rusted on the knuckle pretty bad. Anymore force than I used would surely destroy that old thing, might be the 2nd one placed on the car, if not the first... Once I buy those, I'll knock out the whole job, and then save up for a front bushing set, all of them are screwed. Noisy throw out bearing, will probably replace flywheel, clutch kit, fluids, and drive axles at a later time, hopefully altogether.

Oh, A/C makes the car run hot when in traffic, so that's something I have to tackle at a later date. I only use it for my girlfriend, so it's not a big rush for me, but it does have me a bit confused. Only thing I haven't changed cooling wise is the thermostat. I'll be knocking that out with another coolant flush just to cover all my bases. If that doesn't do it, guess I'll be looking at that compressor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts