Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading and thinking about the suckthrough setup (my current setup); and I have been wondering about the IAT sensor. It is in the MAF right?

Well, if it is, then the Intake temp is going to be vastly different in the MAF (pre-turbo) than the actual intake temp (at the manifold) <+-100 degrees> due to various factors: underhood heat, etc. This gives incorrect info to the ECU, thus distorting fuel/timing calculations.

Can the temp sensor be moved to a location closer to the manifold (after the turbo) for a more accurate reading. This would give the ECU a better way of adjusting for fuel/timing.

Any suggestion? Input? :scratch:

·
02 3.5l GT-T RIP
667 Posts
You can do that if you wanted to. I forget the companies name, but they make just air temp sensors that you wire in. A lot of the GTO guys do that with their cai. They do it to get away from the heat soaking on the MAF. You just need to drill and tap it on the intake piping and wire it up.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Be sure to follow up on this. It'd be all the better for tuning with the stock ECU like the trend is moving towards now.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Ummm...

Bad idea. The ECU uses a calculation based on the barometric pressure sensor and the IAT and assumes they are reading from the same location. It is the reason all factory turbocharged Mitsu's come like this!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hmm, if you are tuning the ECU anyways, does it really matter what the ECU is "calculating"? I was under the impression that creating fuel and timing maps takes away the ECU calculations, and puts that work in the hands of the tuner. Correct me if I'm wrong. :dunno:

·
02 3.5l GT-T RIP
667 Posts
Ummm...

Bad idea. The ECU uses a calculation based on the barometric pressure sensor and the IAT and assumes they are reading from the same location. It is the reason all factory turbocharged Mitsu's come like this!
Then why do a lot of other cars have this mod readily available? I can order the kit for my GTO right now.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Hmm, if you are tuning the ECU anyways, does it really matter what the ECU is "calculating"? I was under the impression that creating fuel and timing maps takes away the ECU calculations, and puts that work in the hands of the tuner. Correct me if I'm wrong. :dunno:
When you tune a car you are simply changing the maps. The values used in the calculations. You are not touching the code that contains the actual calculations and forumulas.

Then why do a lot of other cars have this mod readily available? I can order the kit for my GTO right now.
1: The GTO is not boosted from the factory.
2: The GTO is not made by Mitsubishi
3: Every car is different, built to it's manufacturers specifications.
4: Do you see guys with EVOs or DSMs doing this mod? NO? SO DON'T DO IT EITHER.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts