Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Figure this one out...

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Tearstone 
#1 · (Edited)
Figure this one out...**update....problem solved**

**UPDATE**

Well, sort of solved.... MY SDS DRIVESHAFT JUST FAILED! (on my way home from work)
Apparently theres a presspin in the drive shaft that came loose and has gouged a major groove on the inside of the shaft housing.

And of course it's a mere one month past the warranty :squint:

**END UPDATE**

So I finally got all the exhaust leaks in the RIPP headers plugged up as well as a better flowing cat back installed (3" NON-mandrel w/a 2.5 flowmaster). It definately made a difference.

The car now idles WAY high on cold start-up (close to 2000 briefly, then settles down to about 1500 for a couple of minutes). Now, I understand about cold weather start-ups having a faster than normal idle, but this seems a touch excessive, and it wasn't doing this before the exhaust work.

Additionally, the now-sealed exhaust did NOT solve my primary problem: Code 300 (random multi-cylinder misfire, which up till now was the only code I was throwing), and a decided lack of smooth operation or power (changing spark plugs tomorrow). This thing chugs, sputters and spews brown smoke like no tomorrow.

The funny thing is, that every once in a while it smoothes out and seems to be running fine...but only when I get a new set of codes: 137 and 157 (bank 1 & 2 sensor 1's no activity). :twitch:

So.. if the O2 sensors AREN'T throwing a code.. the car runs like crap... but if the upstream sensors go inactive, the car smoothes out dramatically. :bash:

Either way I'm running pig-rich, and my milage still sucks. :bash:

See less See more
#2 ·
For one thing it sounds like you got some fouled out o2 sensor, And my car used to get p300 codes until i stopped clearing them and left it on the the light when off and has never came back on. I think in my case the computer was a slow learner. Also my friends car did the same thing and he put a gts plenum on and no more problems with his ethier

#3 ·
rtspeed said:
For one thing it sounds like you got some fouled out o2 sensor, And my car used to get p300 codes until i stopped clearing them and left it on the the light when off and has never came back on. I think in my case the computer was a slow learner. Also my friends car did the same thing and he put a gts plenum on and no more problems with his ethier
:agreed:

#4 ·
yeah my car too had a bad o2 and now my cat is bad from running rich so i think that is making it run bad now casue it is not reading that it is burning right in the cat even though i have the 2005 tune which isn't suppose to rely on the o2s as much so right now am lost going to put it away deal with it when it's warmer out

#5 ·
Also if you only get a p300 when you rev it and not it gear or if you hold it at a certian rpm, the cuase of the misfire would then be the compressor surge. If thats the cases it happens to almost ever car that i have installed the kit on. The ecu is not fast enough to react to the surge which gives you the wrong mixture and cuases the misfire.

#6 ·
rippedeclipse said:
yeah my car too had a bad o2 and now my cat is bad from running rich so i think that is making it run bad now casue it is not reading that it is burning right in the cat even though i have the 2005 tune which isn't suppose to rely on the o2s as much so right now am lost going to put it away deal with it when it's warmer out

Well...if thats the case then it looks like I'm going to be replacing both cats and all four o2's... AGAIN.

'Bolt on kit' my ass.:squint:
So far I've had: a bad injector, which resulted in
A fried ECU
An FPR that didn't
A blown fuel pump grommet due to incorrect installation as a direct result of NO INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED
And gaping holes in my headers that I was told directly by Ross would not affect performance of the SDS system.

Now.. joy of joys... I get to deal with an SDS driveshaft failure. (just happened today, or.. at least I just noticed it today...and I was under the hood yesterday and saw nothing amiss.) I'm charging up the batteries for my digital camera so I can post photos.

#8 ·
I have one word to say.... wow.

Just for future reference, for a decent way to install your fuel pump, contact me and I'll guide you through it. I have seen too many failures due to the Rippmods method.

Currently, we have an '03 GTS that we are converting over to a suck through MAS and eliminating the black box from the madness you all are going through. The piping has been created, just waiting on the Greddy E-Manage to come in stock and we are off to the races (so to speak).

#11 ·
rtspeed said:
I have to agree with tearstone the ripp tuning boxes are problems wit halot of systems seen them blow 4 or 5 engines just becuz of the timing and fuel. :bash:
The blackbox itself is quite an amazing piece of equipment, but we simply do not know enough about what the unit is doing or why it requires so many specific things (must have a cat, must have 4 working o2 sensors, etc) to even make it mildly useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.