Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, finally there is a fix for 3g owners with cracked dashes and those who use their cars as daily drivers. Not many people know about this, but there is a company that I found .org and they are making this custom dash overlay. Its made of ABS plastic and it comes with LIFETIME warranty. They have made their products for other cars, just now getting in 3g market. it retails at $155 shipped and it will be the perfect fix for people who has their 3g's as daily drivers and don't want to keep messing with the stock dash screwing up. Plus for those that don't like taking their whole dash out. It comes ready for paint, no prepping needed. Here is a prototype picture of it and then a link to one they made for a 240sx. They pre-paint them any color you want at no additional charge. I told them to come post on club3g, just waiting on them to do so. These have just been finished and I am the first to receive one.

here is a link to their site:
Coverlay Manufacturing - Replacement Door Panels and Dash Covers

link to example of one on a 240.
S13 cracked Dash owners***Review & PICS How to***: 240SX Forum / 180SX Forum / Silvia Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub

I personally plan on buying this, mine is shattered in 4 places.

Update:
I received my Coverlay dash today. It shipped from Texas yesterday to Southern VA today at 5 pm. A solid day and it was here. I opened it and first impressions...I am IMPRESSED. It fit like a GLOVE. The way its made, is its a little thicker at the top near the windshield, and as it contours over the dash towards the front, it gets thinner, almost paper thin, to the point that you can hardly tell there is a cover there. The material is very durable ABS plastic, but it has almost like a rubbery feel so it is flexable and you never have to worry about it cracking. It is same black as the stock dash and has close to, if not the same texture. I am putting it on hopefully this weekend if all goes well. depends on temperature. But i am VERY impressed. I will have full detailed pictures of all the steps I take when installing. This is going to be such a nice upgrade for people with cracked dashes. Its going to fit so snug. I can already tell I need to take the clockpod out because it has a small little beveled edge to it where the clock pod locks it in place so you don't have to worry about it coming undone and sticking up in places. This is some QUALITY STUFF!!! It includes a tube of these adhesive stuff that you install around the edges of the dash peice and then lay it over the dash, press it down and let is sit for 6-8 hours so it can adhere really good. Install before and after pics coming soon.

-Arachno

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just trying to help fellow 3g'ers out. They are using me to promote it, so before and after pics are required. Hopefully they will be using my pics on their site. I HIGHLY recommend this. I never would buy one of them ugly dash mats and when I saw this, it grabbed my interest. The way it contours to the dash makes it look near stock, to the point you can hardly tell the piece is separate.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have pics very soon. I am VERY picky, matter of fact I get made fun of for how picky I am with stuff and i am very very impressed with this. I will probably go ahead and install this saturday so everyone has pics. Just the quality of the material. I can't explain it. Its like ABS plastic, but like it has a rubbery substance built in that makes it flexible so it won't break or crack. You could almost bend it and fold it in half without it breaking.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and as far as going for sale...I think he is waiting until I make sure the fitment is dead on before selling them. But he said if you call he can work up an order for you, number should be on the site and the guy's name is Chris.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I mentioned I didn't like this "dashcover" before and I'll say it again, I just think in the long run - it will be a bad idea. Common sense should tell you that the manufacturing material is different than that of the OEM dash meaning - it will expand and contract at different rates in heat/cold. If you glue this thing down, I would assume that as it tries to naturally expand in the heat (at a different rate of the OEM dash) it will bend itself up in stress point areas and "buckle" slightly.

All the dash replacements the make for other vehicles are FULL replacements. So, if there is any difference in contracting in temperatures, it doesn't matter, as the entire piece does it naturally just as the OEM dash would've done. But, this is a partial dash.

Time will tell. No one will know for sure until the summer is over.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So this will just fit on top of the dash?

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well your wrong Hijacker. You only put the adhesive on the edges of the dash piece, you don't put it in the midle of it because that will cause it to warp. It only goes on the edges. The piece pretty much locks itself in place after you put it on and put the clockpod on and stuff, so the adhesive works only on the edges and keeps it in place. This is the best thing we have for this community, you can argue and say just buy a new dash...which is not an option for people that drive their cars everyday. You don't have problems with yours because it stays in a garage. These dashs crack, all of them will eventually, so this is a great fix for people with daily driven 3g's. Its made very sturdy, but has some flex in it so when you hit bumps with stiff suspension it won't crack and won't come un done from all the pressure.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I am very interested as well, this is a great find! However, I still think there needs to be a formal recall of these stupid dashes :(

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK guys, I just got in from installing the dash. I emailed pics from my phone to Mojo, and I am waiting on him to upload them for me. It took me right at an hour, I cleaned the entire dash with alcohol to remove any cleaning liquids, and then i took the adhesive and put it in a cup of hot water and let it get ready to be used. Then I took clock pod, speed bezel, and radio bezel out. I test fitted the dash, everything fit great, then i took it out. I took the adhesive, put it on all the edges of it, especially around the vents and cut out for the vin number. Then I took the piece, layed it on the dash, carefully manuvered it into place, wiped off adhesive that got on the dash, then I took t-shirts and balled them up and pressed them inbetween the windshield and the dash board so it would put pressure on it, making it adhere better. Then I took tape and used it on the frontal pieces to hold them down. I ran a long piece for each side from the top vent down underneath the bar underneath the seat and back up, kinda like a pulley type thing to put more pressure pushing down on the edges. So far, everything has went well. Now I just wait and let it dry. I have the windows cracked and the sun is beading down right on it. I am very impressed with the craftmanship of this piece, its spot on. No fitment problems at all. Can't wait to see how the finish product looks. I will clean interior and clean the dash real good.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
You only put the adhesive on the edges of the dash piece, you don't put it in the midle of it because that will cause it to warp. It only goes on the edges.
I never said you put adhesive on the middle. It doesn't matter WHERE you put the adhesive, the material itself needs to contract and expand naturally. If it's glued down on the edges and fitted to an object below it, what do you think will happen when BOTH objects naturally start to expand/contract in various temperatures or summer and winter? If the material is different and its "locked" in place, any excess expansion has to go somewhere...

But - I'm not saying this WILL happen, I'm saying its a possibility which is dependent upon the material this is made of. As you state below, it's "sturdy but has some flex to it" would mean its a different compound of material than the OEM dash as there is NO flex in that.

You don't have problems with yours because it stays in a garage. These dashs crack, all of them will eventually, so this is a great fix for people with daily driven 3g's. Its made very sturdy, but has some flex in it so when you hit bumps with stiff suspension it won't crack and won't come un done from all the pressure.
No shit I don't have an issue with it when the car sits in the garage - but that's irrelevant. I'm COMPLETELY aware of cracking dashes in this car and over a dozen others. I mean after all, I'm sure I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, right?

I don't understand why you're so defensive on a product so new that you haven't even had time to see results or test yourself.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well you always shoot down everything that is not your own it seems. Never have anything positive to say unless its your own. This company has been doing these for a while, I think if it was going to have flexing and cracking problems and such, they wouldn't keep on making them because no one would buy them. They have liftetime warranties as well. I can't really explain the material of the object. I see it very hard to break this substance and the way it contours, I don't see warping problems.

Pictures will be up tomorrow of the finished product. Hold tight everyone.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts