Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last desktop I build was a 486 when I was in High School. I still remember most of the basics, but I have let my tech knowledge slip a bit. I have a 5 year old Gateway POS at home and I have managed to keep it running OK. It has a decent CD burner in it that I will likely re-use, but that's about it.

I am piecing together a good, solid desktop that I want to last another 5-6 years (if that's even possible anymore). I don't really do any gaming, but I do want to have a system that can handle audio/video stuff and whatever may be up and coming as far as PC/TV interaction.

My plan is to find a few options for each component and grab them up when I find a good deal over the next couple months. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge or anything, but a reasonable assurance of not being outdated and obsolete in 3 years would be great.

So far I have the following:

Super cheap case:
Ultra X-Blaster Beige ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports and 350-Watt V-Series Power Supply ULT33176 at TigerDirect.com

super awesome-looking 500W P/S:
Ultra X-Connect 500-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan Titanium-Color UV Clear Sides Modular Power Supply at TigerDirect.com

DVD Burner:
Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SuperAllwrite Retail Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x24x CD-RRW, Black, SATA at TigerDirect.com

What I need now is the rest of the setup: mobo, RAM, video card, possible audio card?

My goal is to spend under $1000 all said and done and I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. If we can get under $700, that would make the wife REALLY happy.

I prefer Intel to AMD, but I am open to suggestions if there's a great deal to be had.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
From what you say you want, and what you want to spend, I would suggest you skip building it yourself and go to Dell, or similar, and get a decent low-priced computer without a monitor.

Super-cheap parts are just that, super-cheap. I also don't see a $30 power supply making it three years, unless you only use the computer a couple times a month.

Just my two cents.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My home PC use is typically about 4-5 hours a week. I have a real light laptop I usually bring home and use over my wireless, but I want something to replace the Gateway that will serve me well and that I can enjoy building myself.

If I need to spend a few extra bucks, let me know where I need to spend them to build a reliable system.

Any better PS suggestions?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
TigerDirect = :ugh: I have a friend that bought a Geforce 8800GT when they showed it in stock, but it never shipped and he had to call them. Turned out the website was incorrect, and three weeks later, he's still waiting for it. I need to compile a list of reliable online retailers for you guys.

Anyways, $700 for just a fairly powerful tower is pretty easy to do nowadays.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
Newegg.com - VisionTek 900203 Radeon HD 3850 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - AuzenTech XPlosion 7.1 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - Retail

I can't find that case on Newegg, but so far all that's $734 with shipping, and the RAM has a $25 MIR. The video card is a bit overkill, but can be downgraded to a 2600XT for $70 less.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. So you're thinking the Intel Q6600 a 4GB RAM is overkill for what I am going for or are we going over $1000 on that road? My biggest mental roadblock in building this and finding the components I want is to buy what I need versus the latest and greatest

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Cool. So you're thinking the Intel Q6600 a 4GB RAM is overkill for what I am going for or are we going over $1000 on that road? My biggest mental roadblock in building this and finding the components I want is to buy what I need versus the latest and greatest
A quad core and 4GB of RAM is definitely overkill for your needs. If you're after media playback and some studio work, the setup I proposed is more than adequate. A Q6600 and 4GB of RAM will cost about an extra $100, but again, not necessary unless you do some heavy 3D gaming.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the OS side, Vista Home Premium, Ultimate or XP Media Center?

I run XP Pro on one laptop and Vista Ultimate on another. I have no issues with either, but I like Vista a bit more. I would think Ultimate is just more than I need, yes?

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
On the OS side, Vista Home Premium, Ultimate or XP Media Center?

I run XP Pro on one laptop and Vista Ultimate on another. I have no issues with either, but I like Vista a bit more. I would think Ultimate is just more than I need, yes?
Unless you need something that is only available on Ultimate, Home Premium is quite a bit cheaper and works as good.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
looks hard to install, the piping would bend, wouldn't it? :dunno:
Nah, I've handled a couple of those and they're not as heavyset as they look. It may have problems fitting in one of those really small cube-like cases, but it's not dramatic as it looks.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This came in today (the RAM, not the laptop) :yesway:

I'll be picking up the rest of the components over the next 2 months and getting this puppy built up, but the MIR on this RAM was ending, so I had to pick it up now.

·
Wut Wut In Da Butt
36,305 Posts
:cool: Nice!

I'm still holding off on the Video Card and RAM upgrades Inferno recommended to me over a month ago :lol:

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
This came in today (the RAM, not the laptop) :yesway:

I'll be picking up the rest of the components over the next 2 months and getting this puppy built up, but the MIR on this RAM was ending, so I had to pick it up now.
Cool, but try to find an unwilling victim *Ahem*...machine to test the RAM on. You don't want to wait two months later, install them and find out one of the sticks are bad. That might make it difficult to request a return merchandise authorization with Newegg.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking that might be an issue if I had a bad stick a couple months from now. Newegg was good about the only issue I ever had in the past, so if I can't find a "test machine" soon, I am not too concerned about them denying a return. If one stick is bad, i'm out net $20 after MIR, so no big deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts