Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its a simple question but... can you get 2 12's in a Spyder Trunk? or maybe 3 12's? Has anyone done the three 12s? OH and forget the spare tire...

·
That's What She Said
1,265 Posts
I know 2 will go in. I dunno about 3. Why do you really need THAT much base? Our cars are tiny, my enclosed 10 thumps like crazy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont want it for Extreme Bass. I want three because i want to try something different from the usual "2 10's" or "2 12's". :)Basically im going to do 600 watts, either 2 300watt subs or 3 200watt subs. so the bass will be the same but it will look different! :wiggle:makes sense?

BTW I used to live in miami! rep 305!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put 3 10's in then. But it all depends on where the box is gonna be put and how it is set up. You could put 2 subs on the sides/corners of the trunk and 2 in the center under the "slope" part. Then you can have 4 subs.
i had considered that but the 10's dont look big enough for my taste... do you think 3 12's would work though?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
take out the backseats and fiberglass a custom box for as many subs as you want. that would look awesome.
It's a spyder! Thats why im concerned with fitment. Every time I go to a car audio they wont give me exact answers unless i commit myself to them....:(

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Yes, 3 12" WILL FIT. Keep in mind your sub models/picks should be deterined by how many cubic feet each sub box can have. That will be up to you and your installers but I can assure you that each of those 3 subs CAN have 1-1.5cuft. I had 2 late model JL Audio 12s in the corners of my Spyder trunk and they knocked. If you remove the false floor and spare tire then you could fit a 3rd, easily. If you have the shop remove the crossbeam that holds the spare tire then you may even be able to get FOUR 12s in that trunk (all with adequate air space).

Sound deadener will be a must for you.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Every time I go to a car audio they wont give me exact answers unless i commit myself to them....:(
Then take your $ elsewhere. If they cant tell you what they can do or fit then they shouldn't even be in business.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
I had 2 12's in a proper box in mine. If the box is built right, you can fit 3 12's. You will have absolutely zero trunk space left, but it can be done. Incidentally, I then switched to 2 JL audio 8's, and it sounded just as good as my 2 12's.

In the spyder case, go with EXCELLENT quality 8's rather than 3 average 12's. If you go for excellent quality 12's, you might not have the airspace needed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then take your $ elsewhere. If they cant tell you what they can do or fit then they shouldn't even be in business.
What sucks is that I go to the best audio businesses here in orlando and they act like i have to tell them that i will do the install with them before they will even consider looking at the car and giving me any sort of info!!:devil:
Oh and NCSpyder, you seem like you know what youre talking about so... how about 2 15's?? a little too much?:scratch:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
2 15s?? Hmmm... I haven't measured but I doubt they would sound good if they would even fit. I mean you could make them fit by building a fiberglass box (molded to the shape of the trunk and spare tire well) but it would likely sound like absolute ass because it would be made of fiberglass and would therefore flex while booming. I'd suggest 2 12s, 3 10s, or 3-4 8s. Keep in mind that smaller woofers are usually more punchy where as larger woofers are usually more boomy/deeper. The type of enclosure/box will play a HUGE role on the sound as well. So will the amount of air space (inside and outside) the sub box. Completely filling the trunk with a giant sub box will most likely sound like crap because subs move air and if there is no air/space to move in the trunk then the ound will most likely come across as muddy or compressed (IMO).

I'd also say that if that shop wants a contract or agreemnt before looking @ what you want to do then they are a bunch of morons. Try this:
1) go to shop and tell them you need a system.
2) explain what type of music and bass you want.
3) explain the situationn with limited trunk space.
4) ask if they have anything in stock that would fit your needs.
5) ask what they would charge to install it, length of install, approx pricing, etc

If they stop acting interested or if they clam up before you get to #5 then leave and go find a REAL shop. Its not rocket science and they should be doing installs on a daily basis so not be ableto answer any of your questions if a HUGE red flag. I don't care if they stock the best components in the world or if they win dB contests. If they can't answer your questions then you'd be better off ging to someone who can.

Oh, I'd suggest going with more watts to each sub as opposed to more subs with fewer watts. I guess that could depend on the model sub/s you get though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS! I wasted all this time driving around town when i could have gotten all my questions answered on the forum!! Thanks everyone for their input.:wavey: CLUB3G!! :metal:

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
I dont want it for Extreme Bass. I want three because i want to try something different from the usual "2 10's" or "2 12's". :)Basically im going to do 600 watts, either 2 300watt subs or 3 200watt subs. so the bass will be the same but it will look different! :wiggle:makes sense?

I'm jumping in here a little late, and NC[Spyder]GT has gotten you all the right answers :wub:, but I just wanted to comment on this post. 600 watts RMS, will sound IMMENSELY different depending on the quality and quantity of subs you are running it through.

Also take into consideration the ohm loads presented by running 3 subs. To correctly get to a 2 ohm load (at which most class D subwoofer amplifiers put out the most power) you will need three 6 ohm woofers wired in parallel, or three 1 ohm woofers wired in series. The 6 ohm woofers will be pretty hard to find, however. :idea: You could go with three dual 2-ohm VC subs, wire all the VC's in parallel to get 1 ohm per sub, and then wire them in series.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm jumping in here a little late, and NC[Spyder]GT has gotten you all the right answers :wub:, but I just wanted to comment on this post. 600 watts RMS, will sound IMMENSELY different depending on the quality and quantity of subs you are running it through.

Also take into consideration the ohm loads presented by running 3 subs. To correctly get to a 2 ohm load (at which most class D subwoofer amplifiers put out the most power) you will need three 6 ohm woofers wired in parallel, or three 1 ohm woofers wired in series. The 6 ohm woofers will be pretty hard to find, however. :idea: You could go with three dual 2-ohm VC subs, wire all the VC's in parallel to get 1 ohm per sub, and then wire them in series.
You didnt specify what the difference will be....:dunno:

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Depending on the sub, box, and amp, there could be huge differences in sound quality, output, life of the subs/amp, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is the main reason why you dont see to many sub layouts with a odd number of subs it makes it really dificult and limits your options as far as amps go.

Now one thing if your going with 3 12's at 200watts rms each your gonna have to get a really really low quality sub.

Now one thing do you want Straight SQ or SQL for some boom as well.
Are you going sealed or ported. sealed would be way easier wouldent take as much space and would sound really clean.

Move up and get 2 subs and 1000 watts together I think you'll be more happy with the system. This will open up your options for subs as well as amps.

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts

This is a contradictory statement if I ever heard one. You don't want extreme bass, but you want 3- 12" subs? 600 watts of RMS bass from a set of 10's is not the same coming from 600 watt 12's. The bass in 12's are much deeper and fluttery and reach levels 10's cannot. 10's punch you solidly in the back and rarely distort unless you abuse them. I run 2 10's at 600 watts RMS. They are ungodly loud. If I ran 2 12's, that would be just insane for me. Plus it doesn't sound good IMO. I put my brothers 12" Rockfords to shame with my 10's.

If you don't want extreme bass then I would settle for some JL 8's or JL 10-W0's. They don't make the 10W-0's anymore and are discontinued from the manufacturer but you can buy them online. I have a custom JL box with 3 10w-0's in them but will not fit a spyder.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts