Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Superbowl Bound 2015
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm thinking of painting my rex flat black for the summer. To me the paint jobs look like simple spray can jobs whats the opinion on these types of paint jobs or if any one has ever done this themselves before? In case your not sure what i'm talking about heres some examples.

·
Frank
3,940 Posts
I think they look cool. There was a 3G with a temporary flat black paint job and it was gorgeous. However, I'm sure the examples you provided were a little more than "simple spray can jobs."

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
If done right, I think they can look good but you have to like that look ( primered )

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
So by that rationale, you are considering painting your car in a style that you think looks like a rattle-can job? :scratch:

First off, there is a difference between flat black and a matte black. The cars you posted pictures of are not examples of flat black paint jobs; they are black with a matte finish. Huge difference when you see it in person. Matte finishes have an almost coarse texture to them, but they still reflect light and have a slight shine to them (even though it's not glossy). Think of matte finishes when you develop a photograph.

No matter what you have heard, matte finishes (especially in black) are going to show scratches like a bitch and get dirty EXTREMELY fast. I think they look neat at an event or in photos, but I wouldn't want it on anything but a trailored showcar.

And by trailored showcar I don't mean a WRX. The cars you posted are high-dollar rides and pull that off a little easier than a sub-$30,000 Subie. OK, the M5 isn't that out of reach, but it's still a specialty car. Regardless, flat-finishes (matte or otherwise) are going to be the next big ricer rage, you just watch. Any asshole with a can of black spraypaint can replicate the look in the same way as cutting your springs shortcuts a coilover suspension: it's quick and cheap.

Most people will simply think you are sporting primer on an unpainted car. If you are sold on matte finishes, consider doing it in a lighter shade, or even a standard color like red or blue. Better yet, only do particular sections in the matte finish and keep the other sections glossy--either along a body line, or get wild and do a glossy design over the matte base color. Post a picture of your car if you don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Red Beast
1,164 Posts
I think the flat black can look really good. But it can also look bad. You need to make it work. It's all in how the car looks, like the wheels, height, body. All the other little things on the car. Please post pics of your car so we can see. Here is some other cars, since everyone likes pictures.
One of my favorites.

·
Superbowl Bound 2015
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So by that rationale, you are considering painting your car in a style that you think looks like a rattle-can job? :scratch:

First off, there is a difference between flat black and a matte black. The cars you posted pictures of are not examples of flat black paint jobs; they are black with a matte finish. Huge difference when you see it in person. Matte finishes have an almost coarse texture to them, but they still reflect light and have a slight shine to them (even though it's not glossy). Think of matte finishes when you develop a photograph.

No matter what you have heard, matte finishes (especially in black) are going to show scratches like a bitch and get dirty EXTREMELY fast. I think they look neat at an event or in photos, but I wouldn't want it on anything but a trailored showcar.

And by trailored showcar I don't mean a WRX. The cars you posted are high-dollar rides and pull that off a little easier than a sub-$30,000 Subie. OK, the M5 isn't that out of reach, but it's still a specialty car. Regardless, flat-finishes (matte or otherwise) are going to be the next big ricer rage, you just watch. Any asshole with a can of black spraypaint can replicate the look in the same way as cutting your springs shortcuts a coilover suspension: it's quick and cheap.

Most people will simply think you are sporting primer on an unpainted car. If you are sold on matte finishes, consider doing it in a lighter shade, or even a standard color like red or blue. Better yet, only do particular sections in the matte finish and keep the other sections glossy--either along a body line, or get wild and do a glossy design over the matte base color. Post a picture of your car if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Yeah i'm sure some of those are professionally done. I dont know much about doing the flat black look. I'd be a little nervous about doing it myself and I can see how they become the next rice thing to do but they do look pretty nice. As far as the negatives about it my other thing was how does that affect washing the car....a cheap spray can from autozone isnt gonna last too long and your probably gonna have to touch it up every now and then.

·
Registered
264 Posts
hey its flat black, and he's not painting a Mercedes ,Bmw or Porsche. So thats a basic car to get an idea on how it looks on a non exotic car.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
I think they look cool. There was a 3G with a temporary flat black paint job and it was gorgeous. However, I'm sure the examples you provided were a little more than "simple spray can jobs."
I think you're thinking of the twin turbo 3g... with the custom body kit. a lot of people loved the car, but no #'s.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
So i'm thinking of painting my rex flat black for the summer. To me the paint jobs look like simple spray can jobs whats the opinion on these types of paint jobs or if any one has ever done this themselves before? In case your not sure what i'm talking about heres some examples.
Those are not simple spray jobs. Just as much (if not more) prep is needed to do the job right. But if a reputable shop that understands what they're doing does the work - then yes, it will look amazing.

·
My penis is bigger
18,824 Posts
It's not an easy job.

It's much easier to make a glossy/semi-gloss paint job look good than matte/flat. Flat colors will show runs and uneven marks 10x over a gloss job.

I've painted a few cars in my day and my old jeep was flat black for a few weeks before it went camo. I painted it myself, but with sanding, priming, filling and more sanding done and it still took 4 coats in a booth before it started to actually fill over the color underneath.

It's not something you would be able to do cheap and truthfully, I would recommend highly against it for an everyday car. The slightest scratches will show up tenfold compared to the average glossy car and it's not as simple as touch-up paint to fix.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
Regardless, flat-finishes (matte or otherwise) are going to be the next big ricer rage, you just watch.
Going to be? Shit, here in Orlando it already is. Every stooge with a shitty CRX or Civic hatch bought 10 cans of Krylon from the 'Zone and had a field day.

It's a shame too, because, as evident in those pics posted, when done right, cars can look pretty amazing with a black matte finish.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts