Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue with some flooding on the passenger side only- inside my car. I have checked the ceiling (sunroof) and it felt fine. I opened up the back hatch and that all felt dry- no wetness is coming from the top or sides of the car- as far as I could feel. I even checked the side of the floor next to the door and the backseat just below the seat that is carpeted and dips to the actual floor- dry! The wetness is coming from the floor…somehow. The only thing I can think of is that their was wiring done for an amp from the previous owner, and that the water is somehow coming in from the engine compartment (perhaps some where in the area of my windshield and the firewall area behind the glove compartment)…has anyone ever experienced anything like this, or have the knowledge to make a good guess on where the water could be coming from? It sucks, we had a good rain pour last night and I can see the water accumulated on the floor-it got that wet- so luckily I have a wet vac, but then there is always worries of mold……

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I believe this could be related to a part of the AC system being clogged. I'm sure someone will post up where you need to check. In the meantime I would roll up the windows and takea hose to the exterior, just to make sure its not coming from a hole in the weather stripping or something similar. Did you use the AC or heater just before the flooding started?

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did use the heater (the floor and window defog combo on the heater setting)....it sat all day and night outside while it rained, it was fine when I turned off the car and parked it for the day, but this am I got in and saw it had flooded.....

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the leaking of water has happened to me before, this is actually a problem I encountered when I first got the car and it rained really hard the first time. It's happened to me like 3 or 4 times total but not as much as the serious rain we encountered yesterday (just a moistness at times, but this time some a good amount)- hence the larger acumulation of water I have today.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Very common problem. AC condenser drain is clogged. You might not be turning on the AC these days, but it comes on every time the defroster is engaged. In the humid WA weather, it is certainly making lots of condensation.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Actually, everyone calls it the condenser, but to be honest, it's the evaporator.

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With that being clogged, would it make sence though that this happens only when it rains hard? For most of the rainy season I don't have this moistness on the passenger side floor, but when it rains HARD it gets really wet on the floor?....

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
It could be that water is entering the evaporator unit during heavy rain through the vents that bring in outside air. It is unable to drain.

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok...that makes sense....I am at work, so on my lunch break I am going to open up the engine and see if thier is anythign I can actually see....and also do a bit more feeling around, I assume this is something that can be fixed by myself? Have any guesses on what would be involved? Thanks for your ideas and suggestions :)

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
What you really need is to find someone with the same car but not the same problem. You need to have them crank their AC up high (but not recirculated) and watch for where the drips originate. That's the drain you need to snake out.

·
Nicole
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I looked uip the problem when I was able to get home and get some good light onto the car and found that the jackass who wired the amp behind the heater core casing way up into the dash (by the previous owner) ran the wire through a hole where a seal was supposed to be (a vacumm pressured device- like a bladder) and moved it aside to put the wire for the amp- instead of doing it the right way of drilling a hole amd using a grommet. Well, I have no amp in my car (the pervious owner took out the amp when the car was sold to me), the wire was not hooked to anything, so I clipped the wire and removed it. I put back the seals that were pushed aside and it's fixed. I used a wet vac to clean up the water the best I could (it took about 2 hours-a good gallon or 2 of water accumulated into my car- we had some serious rain and flooding going on here), so now my feet are always on fire because I am running the floor setting on the heater at full blast to help the drying- process...Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
So the water WAS coming in from the evaporator -- just not how I expected. Glad to hear you got it fixed. It's a good thing you don't have the amp down there, because it would be drowned by now. Make sure your fan control works properly for all settings. The part that controls that is near where the water was coming in.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Actually, everyone calls it the condenser, but to be honest, it's the evaporator.
It's good to hear someone else understands how HVAC systems work...:D

So I looked uip the problem when I was able to get home and get some good light onto the car and found that the jackass who wired the amp behind the heater core casing way up into the dash (by the previous owner) ran the wire through a hole where a seal was supposed to be (a vacumm pressured device- like a bladder) and moved it aside to put the wire for the amp- instead of doing it the right way of drilling a hole amd using a grommet. Well, I have no amp in my car (the pervious owner took out the amp when the car was sold to me), the wire was not hooked to anything, so I clipped the wire and removed it. I put back the seals that were pushed aside and it's fixed. I used a wet vac to clean up the water the best I could (it took about 2 hours-a good gallon or 2 of water accumulated into my car- we had some serious rain and flooding going on here), so now my feet are always on fire because I am running the floor setting on the heater at full blast to help the drying- process...Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys
Glad to hear you got it fixed...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts