Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 GT, Manual, 190k miles on the dash but idk about mileage for anything thats been replaced.

So whenever I drive some fluid that looks and feels like clutch fluid leaks from the maintenance hole(plug is missing) on my bell housing.
The thing is that there's more fluid coming out comparted to how much the clutch fluid reservoir is going down, and the car shifts completely fine and there are no lights on the dash.
I took it to a auto place to get a transmission leak inspection and they told me "the bottom is too dirty with oil to tell"
I just got the car not too long ago so idk everything thats been done to it but the only thing related is the previous owner said the clutch was replaced about a year ago.
I changed the oil and the oil pan gasket not even 100 miles ago so alot of the oil on the bottom of the engine bay is from that and not this current leak.

Im just not completely sure what else i can do besides attempting to drop the transmission in my driveway and take it apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your transmission is leaking from the bell housing most likely because the torque converter seal has failed. Almost every time the transmission or engine will require removal from the vehicle in order to replace the seal and resolve the fluid leak.

If a leak develops in your transmission system causing you to lose transmission fluid and you continue driving with low fluid levels you can permanently damage your car's transmission leading to costly repairs, rebuilds, or replacements depending on the amount of damage. It will be best to have it check by an auto mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Your transmission is leaking from the bell housing most likely because the torque converter seal has failed. Almost every time the transmission or engine will require removal from the vehicle in order to replace the seal and resolve the fluid leak.

If a leak develops in your transmission system causing you to lose transmission fluid and you continue driving with low fluid levels you can permanently damage your car's transmission leading to costly repairs, rebuilds, or replacements depending on the amount of damage. It will be best to have it check by an auto mechanic.
This is incorrect. He said he has a manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
2001 GT, Manual, 190k miles on the dash but idk about mileage for anything thats been replaced.

So whenever I drive some fluid that looks and feels like clutch fluid leaks from the maintenance hole(plug is missing) on my bell housing.
The thing is that there's more fluid coming out comparted to how much the clutch fluid reservoir is going down, and the car shifts completely fine and there are no lights on the dash.
I took it to a auto place to get a transmission leak inspection and they told me "the bottom is too dirty with oil to tell"
I just got the car not too long ago so idk everything thats been done to it but the only thing related is the previous owner said the clutch was replaced about a year ago.
I changed the oil and the oil pan gasket not even 100 miles ago so alot of the oil on the bottom of the engine bay is from that and not this current leak.

Im just not completely sure what else i can do besides attempting to drop the transmission in my driveway and take it apart.
I suggest you clean the underside of your engine and transmission and verify the oil is coming from the place you think it is and verify whether it is engine oil from the engine, transmission oil from the transmission, or brake fluid from the clutch hydraulic circuit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts