Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't think of a better section for this. My Eclipse is far from totaled but I just found some damage from about 6 months ago.....

Awhile back I had taken my car by Midas to have a Flowmaster Hush II Series resonator welded in in-place of my Invidia resonator. This was to reduce the volume of my Ripp headers. Well, while I was there I figured I would have the guy cut out my wideband's O2 bung and weld in a new one as the original bung's thread were slightly stripped.

They put the car on the lift and called me into the bay to show the welder what I needed. I explained eveything and told him if he had ANY questions to just let me know. An hour later they lower the car and tell me they are finished. I paid, dove off, and started enjoying my new exhaust tone. A week later I go to do some wideband datalogging and notice that my wideband readings (ZT2) are way off. Its not registering any AFR and the TPS and EGT readings don't seem to work reliably. I get aggravated and give up on the logging/tuning for awhile.

Last night I was under the car replacing an exhaust gasket and found that the son of a bitch welder @ Midas had welded the wideband sensor into the O2 bung thus permanently attaching it. Ok, its permanently attached..... not a HUGE deal except for the fact that I imagine such a delicate sensor should not be welded on directly. That HAD to have killed the sensor. Now I am starting to think that it had sent voltage up the sensor wires and fried the ZT-2 brain module as well....
:uh:

:bat: Its been 6 months since the work and I have a feeling me bitching about my damaged electronics or sensor would get me no where with the manager @ Meineke. GGGGgggrrrrrrr!

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
damn man that blows!! what a dumbass! hope you can get it fixed soon. BTW, did that hush II make a difference??

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Im guessing by your post, that you found a exhaust gasket that would fit? Where did you end up going?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn man that blows!! what a dumbass! hope you can get it fixed soon. BTW, did that hush II make a difference??
The Hush II mellowed out the tone. It did NOT reduce the volume as much as I had hoped. With the tone it seemed to smooth it out a little and lower it a tad (lower as in deeper, not less volume). I agree with Hijacker that it did not lower the volume much although it did help a little (10dB is probably spot on). I ended up slapping the silencer into the Invidia tip. Now the sound @ WOT is more like OEM but a tad more aggressive. I'm thinking about trying to find a small inline muffler to add to the system as opposed to replacing something already installed. Probably gonna have trouble finding enough room down there to install it though :(

Arachno: I'm still having a P0139 but the car runs and sounds normal before that code activates. I will clear the code right before taking some vids and sound clips for you this w/e. As long as the weather is decent I will definately be getting updated pics/vids posted.

Im guessing by your post, that you found a exhaust gasket that would fit? Where did you end up going?
I ended up running by AdvancedAutoParts like 10 minutes ago. The guy couldn't tell me what sizes they had in stock. When I told him it was for an aftermarket exhaust with wider than normal piping he took me to the back and just let me rummage through their stockpile of gasket bins. The largest they seemed to carry was 2.5" (WTF?!) so I grabbed a couple. They are not as thick as I would like but they should work (I was hoping for something like a 1/8"-1/4" thick soft aluminum gasket but I can't even find these online in 2-bolt pattern.... can only find them in 3-bolt patterns).

Gasket Info:
Exhaust Flange
Chry Prod V8 1958-74
SKU REF: 60025
Manufacturer?: "Engine Seal Gaskets"
(white/clear plastic bag).
*Made in the USA :woot:

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I ended up running by AdvancedAutoParts like 10 minutes ago. The guy couldn't tell me what sizes they had in stock. When I told him it was for an aftermarket exhaust with wider than normal piping he took me to the back and just let me rummage through their stockpile of gasket bins. The largest they seemed to carry was 2.5" (WTF?!) so I grabbed a couple. They are not as thick as I would like but they should work (I was hoping for something like a 1/8"-1/4" thick soft aluminum gasket but I can't even find these online in 2-bolt pattern.... can only find them in 3-bolt patterns).
Did you glance at RRE's DIY parts to see if they had the gasket you were looking for?
RRE Flanges and Gaskets

I saw a couple 3" 2-bolt gaskets that looked like they'd cut the cake. :)

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
man that sux to hear, without a doubt your zt-2 is fried with that kind of current being subjected to it. what's worse is the amount of time it took you to figure this out because now it's almost pointless to report it to them.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you glance at RRE's DIY parts to see if they had the gasket you were looking for?
RRE Flanges and Gaskets
:agreed: That was the 1st place I checked when I started looking online. They carry one type of flimsy 2.5" gasket and also the 3" version. No 2.75" gasket which seemed odd. They carry steel flanges in 2.75" but no gaskets... :dunno: A 3" gasket would be way too big for me, and the bolt holes wouldn't line up with my current flanges. But, I was looking for something quick/local anyways. Many thx though!

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
man that sux to hear, without a doubt your zt-2 is fried with that kind of current being subjected to it. what's worse is the amount of time it took you to figure this out because now it's almost pointless to report it to them.
All I can do is explain the situation and hope that they remove the bung/sensor and replace the bung for free (least they could do seeing they killed a $200 sensor and gave me a 6mo long headache). We will see.... hoping to make it by there this w/e.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dude fuck that NEVER bring your car to these "wanabe" mechanics jiffylube fucked my car up big time...i had to fight with them to and I never got SH!T out of it..hey man if you feel like showing up with some bats or somthing u kno who to call:bat: lol good luck with all that and hope for the best

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured out it was Midas not Meineke that fucked up my headers/wideband... would appreciate it if a mod could chage the title to reflect that!

Pics taken...

*In this last pic you can see a white spec in the exhaust hole. That is an AIR LEAK! There are 3 of them right there around the wideband O2 bung :ugh2:

Something tells me that leak could be the source of the P0139 I gave been getting. The leak is located bewteen my B1B1 and B1B2 sensor....
:uh:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't find a place able to do it today and it looks like every place is closed tomorrow. I'll be dropping it off at a Meineke on Monday to see if they can repair it. How much should I expect to pay to have them replace that bing and maybe clean it up a little (remove excess bead - a term I use loosely)? I'm guessing $75 tops? :dunno:

Once this is repaired I may be on my way to being SES free again thus being able to finish up the SDS install!
:woot:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Holy shit! I did way better my first time ever mig welding...

I wouldn't pay 75 to weld in a bung...maybe 40 to 50 since they are going to have to grind all the excess shit out of there...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Colony Tires just quoted me around $160! Would included:
30mins each to weld/cut out 2 O2 bungs. Then 30mins each to weld in 2 new bungs. That means 2 hours of labor :ugh2: The only good news is that I should have it back this afternoon and be able to move forward with troubleshooting my O2 code/s.

update:
Ended up costing me $200 :angryazn: They charged me $25 for ONE O2 bung :barf:
(old bung + sensor welded out, new bung welded in, and rear O2 bung tapped.)

I got everything reinstalled this evening and will be driving it to work in the AM. :scared: Never been so anxious to go to work before...

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was amazed at how much better my exhaust sounded this am. It seems much more tight and controlled without those damn pinhole leaks! No SES yet but I've only driven 2-3miles.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
wow you got raped on the 02 bung, could have just bought a few nuts for a couple bucks if you really wanted to, and that welding job :yum: *used very very loosely*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts