Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i did a search and didnt find anything answering my questions so here goes.

Ok say i was to upgrade the fuel rails and put in larger injectors, what would be the best size to put in if say ive only done CAI, and exhaust, possibly headers and intake plenum later.

Also would the larger injectors even help any with gaining hp?, and could it possibly damage the engine without upgrading the internals at all?

Thanks for any info in advance, and sorry if any of it sounds like a dmb question

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Stock.
No

and No.

Until youre FI or N/A built motor theres no need for bigger injectors. Youll just increase fuel consumption. I did it for practice before i was gonna put my turbo stuff on. It never really ran too well until i took em back off. That extra fuel is just not gonna get used. With only those mods youll only wanna worry about gettin a good tune somewhere. Its not going to exceed the capacity of the stock ones for a while.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, thanks...i remember someone saying that our cars run lean in the higher rpms and they said larger injectors would help that, but thx for the info. ill leave them be

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
our cars run lean in the higher rpms
Id agree with that only because before i started flashing my car its was a bit lean stock. So i flashed it to richen it up overall especially at the higher RPMs where the knock was the worse. But i highly doubt bigger injectors would solve or even help that at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got a question.. I need new injectors on my GT.. I have Intake, diamante plenum, and exhaust.. What is a good injector to get?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
I got a question.. I need new injectors on my GT.. I have Intake, diamante plenum, and exhaust.. What is a good injector to get?
LMFAO. Re-read post #2.

It says STOCK INJECTORS. You will never need larger than OEM/stock injectors unless you are turbo'd or supercharged. There is NO other reason to get larger injectors. What makes you think you need larger injectors anyways? I have the same basic mods as you + full length headers & the Diamante throttle body. My OEM injectors are fine. Hell, I'm probably still running rich.

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
But for all practical purposes, going to much larger than stock injectors is completely unnecessary N/A. I only run a max of 45% duty cycle with my setup and 450's. I used them because I didn't like the way the stock injectors fit in the fuel rail and was afraid of fuel leaks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
LMFAO. Re-read post #2.

It says STOCK INJECTORS. You will never need larger than OEM/stock injectors unless you are turbo'd or supercharged. There is NO other reason to get larger injectors. What makes you think you need larger injectors anyways? I have the same basic mods as you + full length headers & the Diamante throttle body. My OEM injectors are fine. Hell, I'm probably still running rich.
Did I say bigger?? No.. What is a good BRAND of injector to get..

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
My apologies. I was thinking of Fatelost's #1 post about larger sizes. For you I'd suggest the ones that the Mitsu dealer stocks.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You didn't say BRAND either...usually, a lack of information when posting on these boards will give you a different answer than you are looking for (especially since the initial topic of this thread was about getting larger injectors...one naturally assumes that's what you meant)...but yeah, Mitsu injectors should be just fine for you...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would it be necessary to run bigger injectors with Nitrous. I am currently running stock injectors cai, exhaust, and 50 shot. I am going to go to 75 shot soon and was just curious it a 50 shot seems to run good with stock injectors. I have a set of blue top 440cc injectors off a wrx non sti. (Got them for when I go turbo after the new year).

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Would it be necessary to run bigger injectors with Nitrous. I am currently running stock injectors cai, exhaust, and 50 shot. I am going to go to 75 shot soon and was just curious it a 50 shot seems to run good with stock injectors.
I would say no but I'm not 100%. I just recall that the Zex dry kit doesn't say anything about requiring larger injectors or additional fuel and it comes with a 75hp shot. I really doubt new injectors would be needed. Might be good to ask this in the FI section though as the audience there will most likely have more experience with N2O.

·
Registered
146 Posts
NC[Spyder]GT, people(myself included because I havent proven to myself otherwise) believe that they need larger injectors because of the upgrades, which increase power. They believe because of the math. There is a calculator both on the RC site and injector.com to calculate injector size and duty cycles. Here is one of the calculators that has been used and verified by the mods. Using the STOCK horsepower figures (210) the 210cc injectors will be running at 88% duty cycle-not good. Adding the basic IHE setup will add-lets be semi conservative, and say 30 crank hp...re-doing the math gives a duty cycle of approx 100%!!!!! This is why I, and most people believe that the injectors need to be upgraded. The factory uses the smallest injectors possible because a smaller injector is almost always more accurate which will help with emmissions, and smaller injectors are usually cheaper.
Check out this post for some other info that has been found on the subject.
And please, try to prove that I am wrong-I would like nothing more than to save that money I would spend on the fuel system-or spend it to upgrade something else :).

Reactions: kidney_bean

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If you are so concerned about it go look where they talked about which injectors will fit (by searching of course). You can get some stock WRX injectors (NOT Sti) and they will fit right in place of the stockers. Or you can go with the DSM ones, which require modification. Tune them up and lets see what kind of gains you get from them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First, OBX, you dont need to be fresh-Im just trying to figure this out and explain why some people are concerned. Of course Ive searched theres just a lot more about injectors for the gs/rs than for gt/gts.

Second-If WRX injectors fit the v6, I would have to buy 2 sets of injectors which would come from 2 different cars. 2 different cars means different milages, different ages, different care, different quality of fuel. All of these factors would contribute to a mismatch in flowrate between the 6 injectors I chose. If the flow rate difference is large enough I could have atleast one, but probably 2 or 4 (depending on which set flowed better and if I chose that set) lean cylinders which in time can cause some pretty expensive damage.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NC[Spyder]GT, people(myself included because I havent proven to myself otherwise) believe that they need larger injectors because of the upgrades, which increase power. They believe because of the math. There is a calculator both on the RC site and injector.com to calculate injector size and duty cycles. Here is one of the calculators that has been used and verified by the mods. Using the STOCK horsepower figures (210) the 210cc injectors will be running at 88% duty cycle-not good. Adding the basic IHE setup will add-lets be semi conservative, and say 30 crank hp...re-doing the math gives a duty cycle of approx 100%!!!!! This is why I, and most people believe that the injectors need to be upgraded. The factory uses the smallest injectors possible because a smaller injector is almost always more accurate which will help with emmissions, and smaller injectors are usually cheaper.
Check out this post for some other info that has been found on the subject.
And please, try to prove that I am wrong-I would like nothing more than to save that money I would spend on the fuel system-or spend it to upgrade something else :).
Good info! b But, you have to remember to put it into perspective for the original question that was asked by AceEye88...he has the 4G64 with 240cc injectors, making about a conservative 150hp stock...with his upgrades, let's say he's pushed it up to 160hp. Using R/C's calculator, he'd be running 88% duty cycle with the stock injectors (without nitrous), and 77% duty cycle if he used the 275cc injectors from a 00...310cc injectors would be putting him around 68%, and 440cc's would put him at a mere 48% (overkill at this stage).

Based on this theoretical computation, 275cc's would probably suit him just fine, and 310cc's would give him some wiggle room. I understand R/C has done their homework here, but without physically applying it to this application I'd personally consider it to be like using Desktop Dyno...a good estimation.

From what most members on here have said, the basic I/H/E mods don't warrant new injectors for the 4G64...with the addition of nitrous, I'd want someone who has tried it on that platform to comment based on their experience as anything else would really just be an assumption...:ugh2:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
you won't need new injectors with a wet kit, that's why they give you the fuel solenoid, to supply the extra gas that is needed.
Which brings up the question...is he running a wet or dry kit...:ugh2:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you kidney bean.
But,(there's always a but sometimes a butt as well haha anyway...) I was replying to question in the first post where it was asked (for the 6g72) "what would be the best size to put in if say ive only done CAI, and exhaust, possibly headers and intake plenum later."
Also, I agree with you that only so much can be done on a desktop-real testing needs to be done in order to really know whats going on.

Stig-I also completely agree with your statement...but then as kidney bean has pointed out...wet? or dry?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Thank you kidney bean.
But,(there's always a but sometimes a butt as well haha anyway...) I was replying to question in the first post where it was asked (for the 6g72) "what would be the best size to put in if say ive only done CAI, and exhaust, possibly headers and intake plenum later."
Also, I agree with you that only so much can be done on a desktop-real testing needs to be done in order to really know whats going on.

Stig-I also completely agree with your statement...but then as kidney bean has pointed out...wet? or dry?
Sounds good...for future reference, using the QUOTE button to the right helps others know which post you're referring to...:bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts