Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new clutch and a aluminum flywheel, everything seems to run good except when the clutch is pushed all the way in(pedal to the floor) it makes a funny squeeling noise, this was really bad the first time i did it after install and seems to have gotten alot quieter or sometimes not at all now. Is this just something that needs time to wear in?

Also and sorry for not searching for any posts regarding this if there were, i figured id just throw it in with my first question. But almost every time i seem to both disconnect my battery and my cai there seems to be like a vacuum problem, where the rpm's drop way to fast and stall the car if you leave the clutch in, and it has problems idling, usually tries to idle at 200-500rpm when this happens.

Normally it fixes after either time, or my tinkering with it constantly.
So im wondering is this normal?, does it have anything to do with the ECU, because everything is tight. that i am sure of, and it was working perfectly before i took it off for the clutch install.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
You did not search. I have posted about this same noise and the solution was found. The centr hub of the aftermarket flywheel is thicker than the center hub on the OEM flywheel. You either have to remove "plate #2" (which has the nipple on it for aligning the clutch tool) or you have to shorten the length of that nipple. It interferes with the input shaft do to the difference in hub thicknesses. Compare the differences in hub thickness and remove that much from the nipple OR ditch the alignment plate (#2). If you look at that plate now you will notice the nipple is "damaged". It is getting ground/shaved down everytime you hear the noise. FastEclipse00 (i think) left his in and let it grind itself down. He said it no longer makes the noise and I don't think he is having any issues with his tranny at all.

Here is one thread about it:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/eclipse-performance/99094-spec-stage-2-clutch.html#post2248030
*If you are using a Fidanza flywheel then I am CERTAIN this thread is what you need to read.

There is another thread titled "Shifter pops out of place" that may have more info as well.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
As for your idle issue. Search on how to reset the ECU properly.
1) disconnect battery for 10mins.
2) reconnect battery
3) start car and let idle for 20mins. Do NOT touch the gas unless you HAVE to in order to keep it from stalling. Eventually (after 20mins) the idle should be squared away and back around 700.

Some say you should turn the AC on max while it relearns the idle. I have done it with and without the AC on. I find without the AC on it seems to find the proper idle faster :dunno:

This is all assuming you do not have any SES codes showing up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
k, thanks for the info, and sorry i did a search and went through a few pages and didnt find that other post, i might of just overlooked it at first.

and no im not throwing any codes, but i have been driving it for awhile since having the battery disconnected... ill let it run for awhile in idle, if that doesnt work ill try disconnecting the battery again and try the idle sitting thing again....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts