Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Gabe's '03 Spyder GTS

32K views 270 replies 39 participants last post by  gabessdsp 
#1 · (Edited)
Gabe's '03 Spyder GTS​

Purchased: February 2014 w/ 62,139 miles for $7,999+tax.

Current Mileage: 77,317

Theme: Black with some Blue

Current Modifications

Performance
  • K&N Typhoon Blue CAI with Blue Dryfilter
  • Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter
  • Aluminum Shifter Cable Bushings
  • ES Shifter Base Bushings
  • Enkei Fujin 18" Wheels wrapped in Continental All-Season Extremecontact DWS FOR SALE
  • Evo 8/9 Cream Soda Blue Brembos with Stoptech pads and centric blanks.
  • Goodridge SS Brake Lines

Exterior
  • Skyline Tail Lights
  • Smoked Depo Turns
  • Shaded 3rd Brake Light
  • Shaded Marker/reverse lights
  • Custom Black and Chrome edged emblems
  • Debadged
  • Alloy Fuel Door
  • 6000k Dual Halo Depo's, by Iconic Designz
  • 6000k Halo Foglights also , by Iconic Designz
  • White LED License Plate Light
  • Wings West Rear Lip
  • Wings West Side Skirts
  • Gorrilla Open Ended Cream Soda blue Lugnuts
  • Cream Soda Blue Gas Cap Screws

Interior
  • Color Matched Door Stripe
  • Black Leather Blue stitched shift boot
  • Blue LED Underdash Lighting
  • Blue Mishimoto Radiator Hoses

Audio System
  • Pioneer AVH-X5600 Double Din Head unit
  • Dual 10" Memphis Subs in the trunk.
  • Audiobahn 1100W amp for subs
  • Center Speaker Delete

Other
  • Rear backup camera
  • Gold Premium Battery
  • White LED Trunk Lighting
  • ScanguageII in place of clockpod.
  • Deyeme Racing Battery Tie Down
  • BPD Aluminum Radiator Mounts

Planned Modifications

Exterior

Performance

Interior and Other

Builds that have inspired me for what I want to do(not in any particular order):
fclass308, kobalt82, tulesto, Thrice0805, jstewart92, rsingh12, stveclrk, soundman98, and grfft3r.

See less See more
#7 ·
my opinion is always less badges is better. also reading through the future plans i dont want to kill dreams but the cf covered dash is expensive and hard to accomplish. 19s usually look too big on our car and they are an extremely harsh ride. I personally would lose the box in the trunk and deck it flat and do a bandpass box slotted forward. you have a good clean start.

as far as a motor swap.. i would advise to not swap. they are expensive to properly do and your car has low miles anyway so there isnt really much sense in doing that. especially if its your daily. Maybe you can look into tuning and bolt ons for the time being because most of the mods you can do from that angle will be reusable down the road if you do engine swap.

and finally, welcome to the club. im newer here and have been warmly welcomed and this is my extension of that.

car is lookin like a great start. plan tastefully and the car will last for a long time.:wavey:

#8 ·
as far as a motor swap.. i would advise to not swap. they are expensive to properly do and your car has low miles anyway so there isnt really much sense in doing that. especially if its your daily.
I agree with this, those miles are so low it would almost be a waste to swap it out for a different engine. I mean, it's all in what you want to do with the car, but I think the cost of swapping isn't really worth it when you look at the car as it is. And definitely if it's your daily, you'd probably benefit from leaving the engine in there. If it was high miles and looked like it was on its way out, I'd agree with a swap, but around 62k is something to appreciate. Nice start, though, very clean and purdy. :)

#9 · (Edited)
I wasn't planning on doing the "if it comes out paint it", that doesn't look good at all....but as you said just very subtle things.

I was going to debadge the car except for the logo's(at least for now) when I cleaned her for the first time over spring break when it's warm out.

In terms of the motor swap, at this point in time my desire is too do it, add turbo, and do a lot of engine stuff. In 5-6 years when I would actually have the time and money to do that I might completely change my mind. I just put that on the list because as of right now it's on my mind for the future.

Thanks for all the input and the welcomes though, it's great to be a part of the club. :)

EDIT: About rim size though, what would you say looks best? 17"? I just think the 15" looks too small and wanted to go bigger. I liked the look on nice sporty cars where the rim and wheel take up the entire wheel area and that's pretty much what I was going for.

#16 ·
Bought the LED's for the trunk and underdash, needed something cheap that I can satisfy my "modding fever" with. Service Engine soon light is on but not throwing codes so I have to figure out what's causing that. :scratch: P.S. I know it's not any of the fluids, they're still all full from when I bought the car.

#19 ·
car look great so far!! i'd definatly take the dealer sticker off, possibly the gts and spyder as well, leave the mitsu because there are 2 holes behind it, unless you want to fill them.

honestly, i didn't read your future mod list but i saw it was long. just throwing this out there, take it how you will. After everything i've done to my car the only things i've found worth while and would do to a car in the future would be headlights, suspension, wheels (for summer/winter tires) nice evo 8 wheels would look great on your car, LSD (if you drive in snow it's a world of difference) prothane motor mounts, and maybe brembo brakes if you drive aggressively often. and the gauge/ radio lights.

good luck!

#23 ·
At the dealer I was also worried about that, manual says 90k but here it's suggested at 60k for non-garage kept. But such a big issue I'd think would throw a code.....but surprise surprise the light just turned off :scratch: this happened before and it just came back in a week, and actually I think it came back 2 days after I filled up the gas tank....both times. The fuel I'm using says 93 octane level and the car needs a minimum of 91 so I don't think that's the issue...but that's weird.

#26 ·
So last night after getting home my car would not start, I turned the key and heard one click and nothing else. I checked the fluids, tried jumping, and checked connections. My dad, our friend, and the tow truck guy believe it's a bad starter. So it's now sitting at the local mechanic's place :( a starter seems like an easy fix but since I'm new to the mechanical end of cars and I couldn't find a good step by step guide I have to pay somebody else to do it.

#30 ·
So when my mechanic got the car this morning ironically he said that "It started right up, and I pulled her in". I told him that was weird because I couldn't get her to start for 24 hours. I told him that before I got the new battery this was happening, and it even happened after the new battery for a little while but didn't happen again until this weekend. He said he's going to look and see if he can find anything, and I might just have him put a new starter in anyway. On a positive note my first gen black TYC's have shipped, and I'm sending my first payment to JStewart for my custom lights :)

#31 · (Edited)
#32 ·
Spending so much money on the car.

~$700 Custom HID Depo's
~$200 1st Gen TYC Tails
$12 for an air vent to replace a broken one

Looking at another for sale thread to get smoked brake lights, reverse lights, and turn signals. Maybe after getting all of this my modding fever will subside for a bit so I can save for more important things...

#38 ·
Menace Jstewart was my first and only contact lol, the price is closer to $730 and they'll be done in a few weeks because he has a lot of projects going on right now.

Update on the starter issue, it cost me $85 for something to not get fixed....but anyway my mechanic undid my battery connections and basically put them back on and it's worked fine ever since. The terminals look horrid and I think they just need to be replaced. I put a brand new one on the negative today, and ordering a 120A in-line fuse so that I can change out the positive one and still correctly protect the system.

Tomorrow or Tuesday it's supposed to be at least 60 degrees out so I'm planning on cleaning her up, and posting some pics :) also the TYC's might come in.... can't wait to see how they look!

#39 ·
Spring Break

So I'm only 5 days into Spring break and I'm already done with everything I had to do :( Not sure what I have to do for the next 5 days now...I'm also at a lack of money :facepalm:

If I didn't say so before IconicDesignz is currently working on my Depo Dual Halo 6000K HID retrofit, and I'm ordering my other lights from somebody on here as well.

I installed my 1st Gen Black TYC tails and they look great.
So much better than the stock ones on the right..

While installing my TYC's I also debadged my car as you can see in the above picture, looks much cleaner now.

After debadging I also taped off my emblems and did my own custom black emblems with chrome trim. I'll have to redo the front though because it bubbled :(

I then cleaned my car and she looks gorgeous, but it made me realize I really need a new paint job due to the amount of scratches and other paint damages. The leather was cleaned and conditioned and looks fantastic. The only thing I didn't clean and seal is the soft-top. I am waiting to do that when I get my good cleaning supplies in from Zaino and 303 over the summer. I just used the cheap cleaning and wax stuff I had from my old car to clean my Eclipse this time. Pictures will be added to the first thread in a few minutes.

Oh! I almost forgot, I also did my blue underdash lights today as well as bypass the parking break for my HU with a relay. The lights don't look as bad in person as they do in the pictures by the way.

#41 · (Edited)
Finally got in the correct key fob and got it to work! :)

Also looking at lips and such now...and I've made my final decision on what I want to do body-wise. After I do the body I'll do the wheels....and after the wheels I plan on getting coilovers and lowering. I want to do the body and wheels first though so I don't have to re-adjust ride height every time I install something. (Might do wheels before body too...undecided...)

Hood
http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/Mi...-Eclipse-2Dr-Xtreme-Gt-Carbon-Fiber-Hood.html

Front Lip
http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/Mi...Eclipse-2Dr-W-Typ-Front-Lip-Polyurethane.html

Rear Lip
http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/Mi...-Eclipse-2Dr-W-Typ-Rear-Lip-Polyurethane.html

Side Skirts
http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/Mi...e-2Dr-W-Typ-Left-Side-Skirt-Polyurethane.html
http://www.wingswest.com/catalog/Mi...-2Dr-W-Typ-Right-Side-Skirt-Polyurethane.html

Might need to get some fenders too depending on the wheels but we'll see. Have to do some more research on that

#42 ·
Jesus christ those headlights look sick in the picture of the eclipse facing front! Do they make lens covers or are they spray painted black? Never seen something that clean before!

Careful on too much body work. You'll slip into the rice side really quick. WW kit is pretty standard. Fenders with vents and b.s like that is too much for our car. The hood is nice, but I've personally never been a fan of c.f. on black cars :dunno: . I've seen some nice montegi's 18" that look gnarly!

What key fob did ya get? That's my next investment. I hate finding myself forgetting something in the car, and the passenger door being closer to me, but no keyhole present, so I gotta walk around to the driver's side!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.