Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have been thinking about installing a new clutch, kinda just because but some people are telling me to install the lightweight flywheel, but some others say that i will lose out on the low end torgue? W.T.F???? anyone wanna clear this up. BTW it would be a stage one clutch and no f.i. all natural thanks

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
a search will do you well but basically what a lightweight fly does is lower the rotational force it requires to turn the motor therefor allowing it to spin more freely in order to rev faster and "gain" more power through lowering your parasitic loss

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try searching around but I found no posts dealing with loss of low end torque, I am by no means trying to take the easy way out and just post a question I thank you for your help though my main concern is losing said low end torque, and some flywheels say that they average a 10 - 30 hp gain does this sound rediculous to anyone?
Again thank you for any possible information

·
CAD jockey
677 Posts
I don't have any dyno graphs to prove it but I feel a loss of low end tq after I put on my Fidanza. 2k-4k definitely feels weaker to me. My .02

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats the main worry for me i dont want to give that up for high end since i rarely get over 5 i dont need to in the city and I am not racing all the time

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to have it done in the next month I dont want to wait to long I have over 100 on the stock clutch now and it is starting to feel a little weak why do you ask

·
CAD jockey
677 Posts
If you're going to have the trans out anyways for the clutch then the flywheel is a good mod. To pull the trans out exclusively to put the flywheel in is not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I hear what your saying I was debating on doing the flywheel to but I think I might just have this one resurfaced

·
Registered
61 Posts
But no real proof that it help in power gains. People say that there rpms shoot up fast but dont really notice a diffence in power why spend the money. Just buy something better for the car or you.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
But no real proof that it help in power gains. People say that there rpms shoot up fast but dont really notice a diffence in power why spend the money. Just buy something better for the car or you.
I'd say there is no increase in "power" but there feels like there an increase in acceleration. Don't waste your time/$ by having the tranny dropped just for the flywheel. Only do it if you already have the tranny dropped due to a clutch install or if you have more $ than sense. $300 for flywheel + $400-600 just for labor is not worth it, IMO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
also a lightweight flywheel can help extend the motors life as it will cut down rotational mass! probly the reason people speak of losing low end is because when u reduce the flywheels mass the engine can slow down WAY faster and when u lose inertia that quickly it feels to u as if its not as torquey. good way to picture this is if u took 2 of the same eclipses, one with a light flywheel and one with a stock one (btw this is a perfect world) the car with the stock flywheel should beat the lightened one up the hill because the engine is flinging that extra weight helping it actually. actually harder then i thought to explain...but then again im hella tired so hope this kinda helps

·
e-thug hating.
1,070 Posts
this thread will give me a lot of good infos.. i'm on the same boat, waiting to order my clutch kit until i finally decide if i want a light fly upgrade[?] or not..

labor-money-wise is a given decision.. "might as well"
question is: Is $300+ light fly a worth investment for the gain -if any?
[btw, a lightened flywheel [lightened stocky] is also available [still, i think] from RRE. it weighs 14 for $100+. quality? no idea:dunno:

I'd go with the lightweight flywheel
not to be rude or anything, but post like this does not really help. please read and understand the question/topic and respond accordingly.

don't get me wrong tho, a few guys have answered the question. its just not right to the 'money'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts