Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently 18 years old and about 5'11" 150lbs. I have worked out regularly before, but I never really took anything other than Muscle Milk. I gained 10-15 pounds when I worked out daily, but I haven't been to the gym in about a year since then.

I have read Cam's thread "Clean Bulking" and gathered a good bit of info from it.
Within the next week, I will be ordering...
Bodybuilding.com - Optimum 100% Whey Protein - With Faster-Acting HYDROWHEY! On sale now!
Bodybuilding.com - Higher Power Micronized Glutamine 500 - Pure Glutamine! On sale now!

I plan on getting the creatine locally. I see that is it recommended to have a post workout shake that consists of creatine, glutamine, and dextrose. Along with your protein. What do you guys recommend for dextrose powder? Cam's thread said Gatorade powder? How much of that would I need for one shake?

Also, I don't really plan on counting calories, but I do plan on eating as much as possible. Is that stupid of me? I mean I still live with my parents and they cook nearly every night, so I would be eating what they cook regardless of whether I am counting everything or not.

Is there anything I should add to the list of to buy? I read on another website about fish oils, but I doubt I will be buying any of that.

Maybe I should just get this...
Bodybuilding.com - ASN Humagro - Homeopathic Growth Hormone! On sale now! :rofl:

But seriously, any advice is appreciated.

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
I picked up my first weight set on my 19th b-day and I gained over 30 pounds (mostly muscle) over the next two years between regularly working out and my body naturally changing.

First off, don't get caught up on weight as a number.
Second, I'm going to say something that I'm absolutely sure people will disagree with, but don't take anything but protein. Your body is going through enough changes at this point in your life that you don't need to mess with it beyond strength training.

On that note, stick with it and you will be happy with the results. I think the only thing creatine did for me at your age was leave me with stretch marks in my arm pits. I take glutamine now (at 25) but not because I'm doing full body workouts multiple times a week, I do 2 muscle groups and take a day off.. the glutamine is so I can walk most of the week. :lol:

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
First off, don't get caught up on weight as a number.
the glutamine is so I can walk most of the week. :lol:
Thast a biggy that most people dont understand. All I recc'md is protein shake and glutamine, at your age you dont need creatine or none or that stuff.

·
Call it Karma
2,782 Posts
If you don't drink enough water then don't bother taking creatine. Stick with protein and glutamine to help repair muscle breakdown. To get extra protein, eat some hard boiled eggs with one or two yolks. Boiled eggs with low sodium salsa makes a great snack.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I was able to gain 10lbs over the summer by eating every 2-3 hours. I tried to make it so that I was never hungry. The only suplements I took was American stamina before the gym and muscle milk afterwards. Also make sure to eat the right foods...not junk like fast food.

·
Registered
384 Posts
protein protein protein blah blah blah don't forget about carbs man those are really important as well 60% of your calories should come from carbs

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Its simple, just eat a lot and have a good workout routine. Take a protein shake once or twice a day(take at least one after your workout). Try some cottage cheese at night before bed. Hit those weights hard.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Thanks for all the input.
I know how important it is to drink water when you take creatine. I have used it a few times before.
I found a source for the dextrose...
Bodybuilding.com - NOW Dextrose - Corn Sugar! On sale now!
I like how you skipped the whole idea of you NOT taking creatine. At age 18 the male body is still GROWING. Your hormone levels are measured by your body so may you grow bone, muscle, and other essential things that YOU DON'T WANT TO FUNK WITH (like your penor)! You don't want to take steroids, you don't want to take other chemicals that will mess with you. Yes it is safe, yes it is a great supplement but I wouldn't take it, until after 20 at least! my .02.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I like how you skipped the whole idea of you NOT taking creatine. At age 18 the male body is still GROWING. Your hormone levels are measured by your body so may you grow bone, muscle, and other essential things that YOU DON'T WANT TO FUNK WITH (like your penor)! You don't want to take steroids, you don't want to take other chemicals that will mess with you. Yes it is safe, yes it is a great supplement but I wouldn't take it, until after 20 at least! my .02.
Creatine isnt going to effect his hormones. If he eats nothing but beef all day he will get his creatine amount from that. its natural occuring and wont hurt him at all at that age. That is why creatine is such a great thing for you athletes looking for an edge.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Look...you are prime time for development. Your test levels are on the rise and its perfect time to develop your muscles. First off you need to train your ass off and second you need the diet to follow. Protein protein proetien and more protein. Eat as much and as often as you can. Make sure your carbs are in there too. Low glycemic is best. carbs will keep your energy level up. And healtjhy fats too. Thats what fish oils are. They lubracate your joints. I wouls say to just get salmon in your diet like twice a week and you will be good.

Creatine i used American Stamina pre workout, Protein i use Muscle Milk....and in your case i used a weight gainer which was Muscle Juice or Weight Gainer 1850 from GNC. I mixed 1 scoop of MM to 2 scoops of weight gainer.

·
King Shango
3,077 Posts
I am currently 18 years old and about 5'11" 150lbs. I have worked out regularly before, but I never really took anything other than Muscle Milk. I gained 10-15 pounds when I worked out daily, but I haven't been to the gym in about a year since then.

I have read Cam's thread "Clean Bulking" and gathered a good bit of info from it.
Within the next week, I will be ordering...

I plan on getting the creatine locally. I see that is it recommended to have a post workout shake that consists of creatine, glutamine, and dextrose. Along with your protein. What do you guys recommend for dextrose powder? Cam's thread said Gatorade powder? How much of that would I need for one shake?

Also, I don't really plan on counting calories, but I do plan on eating as much as possible. Is that stupid of me? I mean I still live with my parents and they cook nearly every night, so I would be eating what they cook regardless of whether I am counting everything or not.

Is there anything I should add to the list of to buy? I read on another website about fish oils, but I doubt I will be buying any of that.
But seriously, any advice is appreciated.
For your Age i wouldnt reccomend taking the creatine for muscle gain. it will only give u temporary muscle gain. While your working out regularly and taking creatine, you will definitely feel stronger, however once you fall off of the routing of working out you will loose the strenght just as quickly as you gained it. with creatine you have to be on top of it regularly to maintain the physique.

As for counting calories- I would plan on counbting those calories. To gain maximum effeciency for your workouts you should monitor your calorie intake if some days you take in more or less calories than another you will be doing your body no justice. And its great that they cook every night make sure they cook healthy foods... hey you may even get your family involved in your workout regime which will be great youlll be surrounding yourself in a healthy lifestyle.

Fish Oils- Fish oils are excellent in maintaing a healthy body Basic Nutrition: Cod Liver Oil--The Number One Superfood it has tremendous amount of Vitamin A & D. But to each their own
Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
For your Age i wouldnt reccomend taking the creatine for muscle gain. it will only give u temporary muscle gain. While your working out regularly and taking creatine, you will definitely feel stronger, however once you fall off of the routing of working out you will loose the strenght just as quickly as you gained it. with creatine you have to be on top of it regularly to maintain the physique.
Wrong...creatine is not a temporary gain. It increases muscle endurance and strength which allows you to work out harder and for longer. Usually adding 10-15lbs on everything for 3-5 more reps. Which means MORE muscle growth and development. Just because you stop using creatine doesnt mean that muscle dissapears. Whether or not you lose what you gain depends on diet. But yes after dropping off creatine you will lose some of the water weight you put on while on it. But dont mistake the water drop off with muscle loss. There is no such thing as temporary muscle gain....here today and gone tomorrow. Eat right and you will retain all the muscle you add.

As for counting calories- I would plan on counbting those calories. To gain maximum effeciency for your workouts you should monitor your calorie intake if some days you take in more or less calories than another you will be doing your body no justice. And its great that they cook every night make sure they cook healthy foods... hey you may even get your family involved in your workout regime which will be great youlll be surrounding yourself in a healthy lifestyle.
FUCK counting calories. Its a damn waste if youre looking to gain. Like i said eat your little heart out with tons of protein. At no point during the day should you ever feel hungry. Eat every 2-3 hours. Dont waste a second counting up all the calories cause you would just be wasting your time. Just make sure the foods you are eating are clean. Nothing processed, eat low glycemic carbs, eat a variety of proteins (chicken, fish, beef, turkey, etc...).

Fish Oils- Fish oils are excellent in maintaing a healthy body Basic Nutrition: Cod Liver Oil--The Number One Superfood it has tremendous amount of Vitamin A & D. But to each their own
Good Luck and keep us posted
Fish oils are awesome. But instead of dropping $$$ on a supplement for it why not just eat it. Salmon is the shit...tuna as well. Eat up. great protein and EFA source. Its just like vitamins....people ask why i dont take vitamins.....well i already eat properly so i am getting the nutrients out of my food. Vitamins are for the people who dont eat properly and who are starving themselves for nutrients. I would be megadosing my body if i took vitamins which isnt a good thing.

·
King Shango
3,077 Posts
FUCK counting calories. Its a damn waste if youre looking to gain. Like i said eat your little heart out with tons of protein. At no point during the day should you ever feel hungry. Eat every 2-3 hours. Dont waste a second counting up all the calories cause you would just be wasting your time. Just make sure the foods you are eating are clean. Nothing processed, eat low glycemic carbs, eat a variety of proteins (chicken, fish, beef, turkey, etc...).

QUOTE]

Fuck Counting Calories!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally Absurd. i agree yes eat every 2-3 hours but if he does that hell end up FAT. When i mean count calories he should count the calories he intakes and up it each week. And eating every 2-3 hours means the set amount of calories intake should be divided. If he has a goal calorie intake of lets say just an example (2500) if he eats 2500 calories every 2-3 hours by the end of the day hell put in so much calories its ridiculous. If you do not monitor your calories to what your putting in yur body he wont have an idea of what to burn off therefore gaining Fat instead of muscle.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts

QUOTE]

Fuck Counting Calories!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally Absurd. i agree yes eat every 2-3 hours but if he does that hell end up FAT. When i mean count calories he should count the calories he intakes and up it each week. And eating every 2-3 hours means the set amount of calories intake should be divided. If he has a goal calorie intake of lets say just an example (2500) if he eats 2500 calories every 2-3 hours by the end of the day hell put in so much calories its ridiculous. If you do not monitor your calories to what your putting in yur body he wont have an idea of what to burn off therefore gaining Fat instead of muscle.

He should be able to moniter his food intake enough to see if he is getting fat. But truth be told based off what he has said he is having a hard time gaining muscle. I HIGHLY doubt he is eating near enough of the proper foods he should be. Calorie counting is a DAMN waste of time. If he is eating clean foods and not crap....and working out weight lifting and light cardio he isnt going to have any issues with fat gain. He needs to fuel his muscle by eating. Not starving himself when he hits his 2500 calorie limit for the day. If you are looking to gain muscle you dont count calories. You eat and eat and eat lots of protein. It isnt going to store as fat. its going to be used by the muscle. Plain and simple. And if by some fluke he notices himself getting pudgy he can cut back.

Notice how he already read through my "Clean Bulking" thread....he knows the basics on how to gain w/o getting fat.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Look...you are prime time for development. Your test levels are on the rise and its perfect time to develop your muscles. First off you need to train your ass off and second you need the diet to follow. Protein protein proetien and more protein. Eat as much and as often as you can. Make sure your carbs are in there too. Low glycemic is best. carbs will keep your energy level up. And healtjhy fats too. Thats what fish oils are. They lubracate your joints. I wouls say to just get salmon in your diet like twice a week and you will be good.

Creatine i used American Stamina pre workout, Protein i use Muscle Milk....and in your case i used a weight gainer which was Muscle Juice or Weight Gainer 1850 from GNC. I mixed 1 scoop of MM to 2 scoops of weight gainer.
I just looked at "Muscle Juice 2544", and it says it contains 10.9 grams of glutamine, so would I no longer need to have a source just for glutamine post workout?
Also, at Wal-Mart they have 100% Whey Protein that is $15 for 30 scoops. I think it had around 22 grams of protein per scoop, but it is much cheaper than the other protein I planned on buying. The other had around 50 servings, but was $45 and it had around 25g protein per scoop. Would you suggest against the WalMart protein?

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I'd be curious to know what kind of whey protein the Wal Mart kind was. Whey is stupid cheap. It's milk waste (Little miss Muffet probably had huge guns). Someone just found a way to sell it, and raise the price through the roof. They've made advances though, and there are a few different kinds, with different procedures that put it in that jug. Find out what kind it is. It's probably a whey protein concentrate. Whats the nutritional info on it? Fat?

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is the product...
Body Fortress - Products

It calls for two scoops, but I planned on taking one at a time. Pre-workout, post-workout, and maybe before bed just depending on how much protein I got throughout the day. It has 30 scoops in it.
I don't have a GNC local, and the Optimum 100% Whey Protein is $22+ shipping on the net for the 2lb container. I am not against paying that much, but if their isn't a problem with the WalMart stuff, then there is no need to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts