Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my PC is no slouch, but not burning fast anymore either. i can run CNC3, CNC Generals, and other games without big slowdowns, but Emperor Battle for Dune just runs like dogshit! :rant::dunno:

whenever theres alot of units on screen (or structures or even terrain) it just crawls. if i scroll over to where theres nothing going on it speeds back up! now i mention CNC generals and CNC3 because they run modified versions of the same game engine that Emperor uses, the W3D engine which is now known as SAGE (after EA consumed westwood). now, cnc3 and generals are much more demanding games but run a hell of alot smoother than emperor does, what the fuck is going on here? anyone know or can find some solution? i like the game, but its just running soo slow!

P4 Prescott 3.4 @ 3.9 (920mhz FSB)
3GB PC3200 @ 460mhz
6800 Ultra (435/2300)
and the game is being loaded from a raid 0 array, loadtimes are WAY high compared to every other game running from that array.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Have you checked to see if there is a patch or SP for that game? Thats the only thing that would make sense to me. The patch may be provided by the game maker or maybe even nvidia. If you don't come across any kind of patch or bug fix then I would try uninstalling your current video driver, rebooting, and installing the latest video driver. If you already have the latest driver then I'd reinstall the game itself.

If none of that works you may want to think of reducing the speed of your RAM back to 400MHz to see if its related to RAM errors or the like.

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah, not a ram problem...im thinking that its a driver issue. i turned all the game settings down to way low and it finally ran decent. no way in hell this game is that demanding when the same game engine is running cnc3 with higher settings without a problem, ya know? so it seems to me that my current nvidia drivers just dont jive with it well, i'd probably have to go way backwards for drivers that run well with it. this game, i think, was released before the 6 series cards were even out!

ya, nv40 came in 2004, the game was out in 2001. atleast i finally got it to run playably but it sucks i have to do so on such low detail settings since its a pretty looking game.

the other issue i have is the damned video that plays off the cdrom stutters like hell, and the cd is always spinning up and down while playing it. its like its caching and then running out of cache, caching and running out again, and stopping and stuttering each damned time. i tried to moint an image of the cd but the game wont take that and wants the cd in the drive, i tried alcohol 120, should i try daemon tools? or would something else work? i think the game is protected by secure rom or some other copy protection, i even tried a 'patched' no cd version of the game to get it to run off the mounted images but no luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts