Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and got to the second page and while the post I found has one of the issues it's a little bit old. There was no useful information in it so I decided to post a different thread instead of bringing back a dead one. Both are bad but what can we do?

First Problem: On certain pumps even if I am on empty the pump keeps cutting off like the tank is full. This causes problems trying to fill up correctly due to my second problem but I was just wondering what kind of issue it may be. This also could be caused by my second issue.

Second Problem: My gas needle seems to hit "E" at roughly around 14 Gallons used. This being said at 14.4 Gallons I can see 370 to 400 Miles to those 14 Gallons. Tested it at 4000 RPMs in 4th Gear going out to Texas and back. Reason for 4th being 5th and reverse are currently out on my Manual Tranny and I need a new Shift Fork or Synchro which I am working on.

I have a feeling the problems are caused by the floater in the tank but I could use some opinions since I am not 100% car efficient yet. Thank you for the idea's hopefully someone has had this problem before.

·
54,339 Posts
pumps cut off bases on a pressure sensor in the filler nozzle iirc, theres a vent in the tank that closes when the tank is full, then the pressure blows back up the filler neck and at the nozzle and turns it off.

either they're bad pumps or the valve is stuck. no, 14 to 14.5 gallons on a fill up from E is correct, you never run the tank all the way dry and its a 16 gallon tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pumps cut off bases on a pressure sensor in the filler nozzle iirc, theres a vent in the tank that closes when the tank is full, then the pressure blows back up the filler neck and at the nozzle and turns it off.

either they're bad pumps or the valve is stuck. no, 14 to 14.5 gallons on a fill up from E is correct, you never run the tank all the way dry and its a 16 gallon tank.

So you are saying that all the Eclipse's have a 2 Gallon reserve after E? I've seen vehicles start dying at E, only seen one other which had a reserve after E.

Sorry for the confusion on the from E to F, not much of a buff for Fuel Tanks lol. I'll check to see if I can find a diagram of the Valve but for a majority of all pumps it does cut off with a few places actually going all the way to "F"

Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
BUMP:happysad:

im bumping this thread because I am having the same problem in relation to the gas tank . Bitter makes a good point.

car:
2003 Eclipse RS

codes
P0441 Faulty purge Solenoid
P0300 Random Misfire
P0403 Faulty EGR

actions taken.
-replaced spark plugs and wires
-replaced EGR valve (new) it was clogged
-replaced Purge Solenoid

my car is no longer a dayli, it is parked 2 hours away and I only drive it on weekends. because of this the car started acting up and started throwing codes. I try to keep up with Maintenance and do repairs every time I can.

as stated above I took these actions and it seems that i got rid of most codes, however I struggle when filling the tank. the pressure always kick back and keeps turning off the pump I need help in trying to correct this.

can someone help ?

·
54,339 Posts
Probably a bad vent solenoid or blocked vent, I don't know off the top of my head where those are located but the evap vent is usually near the fuel tank area as is the solenoid.

·
Registered
364 Posts
BUMP :(

so I checked my vent solenoid and vents.its all good nothing is clogged, solenoid checks out. I also replaced the gas cap but the issue persist :scratch:

taking suggestions..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Something in the filler tube itself? You did check the vent solenoid by the tank area right? Not the solenoid under the hood.
yeah thats what I was thinking. I noticed that our cars do not have that valve in the filler like other cars ( that small lid that opens when you put gas). if this valve is further down in the filler tube then the problem should be there.

one question how the hell do i check this tube? do I have to drop the gas tank in order to detach the filler tube ?

to respond your question. yes, I checked the solenoid right by the fuel tank. and just to make sure I went back to the solenoid under the hood as well and both check out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just now I filled up my tank on my 01 gs, and I just spent about 10 minutes trying to start the damn thing. this issue only occurs when I put gas in it, and depending the amount I put it, determines how long I need to fight it to start it. earlier today I put in $5 in gas (1.4 gallons) and only need to start the car about 3 times before it started. about 20 mins ago I filled it $40 (10.2 gallons) and spent 10 minutes trying to start it. Turned the key about 50+ times. It will only start when my gas gauge reaches the amount I have in my tank, now I know this isn't a intentional design so what is the issue here? its kinda embarrassing trying to start my car when theres a line at the pump :/ and ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have this issue on my 2000 GT. I have to pump gas very slowly, just trickle it in or it will shut off and try to overflow. How do you check the valves and solenoid? Has anyone else fixed this problem?

·
881 Posts
I have this issue on my 2000 GT. I have to pump gas very slowly, just trickle it in or it will shut off and try to overflow. How do you check the valves and solenoid? Has anyone else fixed this problem?
Make sure your vapor hoses are not clogged. There are usually separate hoses that allow air to escape the tank while it's being filled. Sounds like air is trying to move past the fuel you're putting in causing the fuel to back up to the fueling nozzle. Looks like there are two vapor hoses, both connected to the top of the tank. One in the center and one towards the driver's side. Reference page 13C-7 of the factory service manual for a diagram.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts