Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 GTS Spyder
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 3G when it first came out in 2000. Wow did I love that car. I forget the precise color, might have been Ruby Red Pearl, if that was a thing. In any case, I had the car for less than a year when we expecting our first child, and my wife made me get rid of it because it wasn't baby seat-friendly. I bitched about that for 20 years and finally decided to find another one. My wife said that was fine if that meant she was finally off the hook and I'd stop crying about it. ;-) I found one up in Wisconsin about 2 months ago and bought it on the spot (this time it was a 2003 GTS Spyder, so.. upgrade!). It was in decent shape but needed a new blower (there was a mouse nest it it) and new AC compressor. So far, the only mods are cold air intake and a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Needs some paint touch-up but the bra hides the worst of it. Next spring, maybe suspension and new 18" tires. Any other suggestions?

·
Low and Slow.
1,853 Posts
That thing was definitely garage kept and hasnt seen many (if any winters). Looks to be in great shape. It seems the bras did more bad than good; with enough miles put on the car with one they always seem to rub the paint away in certain areas.

Only thing i would suggest other than suspension is upgrading that stereo to a double din screen to bring it to this decade.

·
Premium Member
2003 GTS Spyder
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the stereo is on the list, although right now I have the luxury of knowing that no one is going to try to steal the OE one! :LOL: I don't disagree about the bras - if the paint wasn't already bad in the front I probably would not use it, and if I ever get it repainted, then the bra goes in the trash. I think part of the issue is being sure to take it off every week or 10 days and making sure any built-up grime or dirt is washed off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice pick up, IMO if you’re going to just be driving it around as a daily I wouldn’t do anything with the engine, besides the things you have already. Suspension, wheels and tires will make it look a lot more aggressive and not like a 4 x 4. I hate the way the car looks with stock suspension lol.

·
Premium Member
2003 GTS Spyder
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice! Hey is that an old castle wall in front of your house? Pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
517 Posts
No bro... and I don`t live there any more ... The guy built that himself to look like an old crumbling castle to block in his patio...I just thought it made a nice background for my ride..
If you do decide to trash that bra I will buy it off you Larry... I don`t want it for myself but I could use it as a pattern to make them for people . I am a retired upholsterer... Check out my interior ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good for you Gaius! Had to haha. In addition to a new headunit, speakers and an amp (power rating doesn't need to be crazy) really help fill out the sound. Also some projector headlights. The stock ones leave quite a bit on the table and if your vision is anything like mine you need all the help you can get.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
36 Posts
Nice pick up, IMO if you’re going to just be driving it around as a daily I wouldn’t do anything with the engine, besides the things you have already. Suspension, wheels and tires will make it look a lot more aggressive and not like a 4 x 4. I hate the way the car looks with stock suspension lol.
I agree these cars look better a little lower, but this is not always practical. I did not lower mine because of the roads and driveways in my area. Dragging the front is a problem. ...J.D.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree these cars look better a little lower, but this is not always practical. I did not lower mine because of the roads and driveways in my area. Dragging the front is a problem. ...J.D.
I think you could easily go 2" lower without dragging...just stay away from speed bumps and parking lot curbs/dividers.
I just picked up some Tein lowering springs after not being happy with the look of my 05 Gt with new stock Monroe struts. Since I'm not putting much mileage on her these days, I figure the struts should last a few years without blowing, even with lowering springs.
The Tein S. Tech springs are "progressive" and thus made for stock length struts, at least that is their claim. Buy hey, if the struts blow too quickly, then I'll just replace them with KYB AGX and be an even happier camper.

·
Premium Member
2001 Spyder GT
517 Posts
My ride is on KYB-AGX with Tein lowering springs and I can go over most of the speed bumps I come across .. I ran into trouble at one of the local shopping malls but if I leave the parking lot on an angle it`s okay...

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. HD sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
36 Posts
Just depends on what the conditions are in the area where you live. We all seem to have the basic same idea with these cars. I opted for stock springs with Koni adjustable "Yellows" and a stiffer rear sway bar. I use 225-45X17" on a 8 1/2" wide rim. It all tucks under the fenders and nothing rubs. We have some intersections here that have "canyons" for water drainage. I don't want to have to be easy on it. It GOES and I like to drive it that way. My son and I set up the suspension for performance. He is an SCCA autocrosser and I am an old mechanic and retired engineer. It has amazing grip ! I am almost unable to slide it on the street. There is just not enough room to push it that hard. ...J.D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the 3G when it first came out in 2000. Wow did I love that car. I forget the precise color, might have been Ruby Red Pearl, if that was a thing. In any case, I had the car for less than a year when we expecting our first child, and my wife made me get rid of it because it wasn't baby seat-friendly. I bitched about that for 20 years and finally decided to find another one. My wife said that was fine if that meant she was finally off the hook and I'd stop crying about it. ;-) I found one up in Wisconsin about 2 months ago and bought it on the spot (this time it was a 2003 GTS Spyder, so.. upgrade!). It was in decent shape but needed a new blower (there was a mouse nest it it) and new AC compressor. So far, the only mods are cold air intake and a Magnaflow cat back exhaust. Needs some paint touch-up but the bra hides the worst of it. Next spring, maybe suspension and new 18" tires. Any other suggestions?

very nice looking gts.
does it have any up north rust on it??

·
Premium Member
2003 GTS Spyder
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, my original was a GT, which was the best model in 2001. It was a hatchback too, so I guess I moved up since I now have a Spyder. :)

·
Premium Member
2003 GTS Spyder
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No rust! There was a mouse nest in the vents that we had to clean out when we installed a new A/C compressor, though! 😆

·
Registered
424 Posts
I’m on BC Racing BR coilovers an when set to full soft it actually rides really nice would say kinda like stock, but I’m pretty low with 235/45/17 RT660s and just made a 2 1/2 hour driver to BIR with a full trunk of stuff, I’ve blown out sets of KYB-AGXs on H&R springs. I won’t spend money on a set up like than anymore when I can get coilovers for 3-400 bucks more. An before everyone says I’m just a kid I’m 36 and care about comfy driving since I drive my car to all events. But I get it, coilovers aren’t for everyone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts