Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum, I am new around here. I got my eclipse January this year, hopefully soon I will complete my profile with some pictures. I used to put the cheap gas and I was hitting barely 15mpg, now I am using premium gas and I make around 18 mpg. I can hardly get 300 miles in a 16.5 gallon tank. I was just wondering why I am wasting so much gas even in a I4, I do mostly city driving but I do highway as well. I always try to keep my rpms between 2000 and 3000 and generally 1500 when cruising. I work as a pizza delivery so mpg really matters for me. I only have a Short Ram Intake. Also, I have all maintenance up to date, and I used only synthetic oil. My eclipse has 145xxx miles and is stil going strong. Any suggestions why am I wasting so much gas?. Thank you ^^

·
Registered
446 Posts
are you running the tank bone dry because if you are able to get 300 miles to 16gal the thats 18mpg. I wouldnt ever let the gas hand get below a quarter tankbecause its hard telling how much trash will get sucked up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you recommend me to just run it leaving about a quarter tank? I never thought about all the trashed getting sucked. Any other recommendations? My friend's dad is mechanic so he can basically checked me anything that I need.

·
Registered
446 Posts
are you sure you are doing your math right cause you should be around the 28mpg range. fill up your tank set the trip around half a tank fill back up and if youre only able to add 6.3 gallons and went 170 miles divide 170/6.3 which will equal mpg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried that once, but the thing is that I get like 250 miles in half tank but the the other half goes so damn quickly. I will try to do that, I will fill up mi tank tomorrow and go 170 miles and see how much gas I used filling up again, I usually make 100 miles a day so in 2 days I will know. I usually fill 15 gallons making 300 miles, so that is around 20 but no more than that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I mean is that the gas hand is half way when it is around 250 miles, so it is not accurate. When I fill up my car, the gas hand starts going down after 70+ miles

·
Registered
446 Posts
i was just using 170 miles as an example. the lower half of the tank holds less fuel thats why that gas hand drops faster after the half way point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well so I will go to work tomorrow and do all the math again and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I read that spark plugs and all that can affect mpg, but I got them checked recently and they seemed fine.

·
Registered
986 Posts
So everytime you fill up your car, the gas station shows 16 gallon?

Whenever my gas light lights up, its only 13 gallon.
I was just going to say this.

To find out exactly what your MPG is, do this. Completely fill up your tank, drive around as much as you want. The next time you go back to the gas station, fill it back up completely. Then use the number of gallons you filled the tank up with, and the miles traveled.

Oh, you may be getting poor MPG because of your driving. If you're a very aggressive driver (taking off fast, stopping real fast) that could very easily and drastically change your MPG.

·
Banana suit what?!
1,243 Posts
Also you need to not put premium in your tank since you have an I4. Too high of an octane rating for the low compression we have in the I4. It's not going to hurt anything but it's just a waste of money.

Surprised no one said anything about that yet

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
my brother does this-- every time you get gas, write down your mileage, and the amount of gallons that you put in. the trip meter is the easiest to use here. just zero it out, fill up, run the car, and next time, take note of the amount it takes to fill the tank, and what the trip meter is miles divided by gallons gets you your mpg... reset the trip, and repeat...

imo, 2-3k is a little high when running a car for mpg efficiency...

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you have an iPhone there is an app for that. Its very specific and you select what kind of car your driving and engine type. There is also one on the internet. I'll get you a link once Im home at my
Personal computer. I have a 03 gs and drive the shut out of it in the city some highway. And gettin 23.8 mpg. I tried driving slow and I'll get 26.5 mPg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I did all the math again, and it coming as 21 - 23 mpg. I will fill up with the regular gas to see if there is any difference. Thank you everybody for your help. This is a pic of my eclipse ^^

·
Registered
463 Posts
my GT gets 400 miles to a tank. Im right at 385 and i just hit the gas light. that's 90% highway/10% city cause i filled up before i came home from a road trip. (mostly 70 cruise too)

I also have QUITE the lead foot, as in i usually gun it getting on the highway, and i gun it getting around in traffic, stuff like that. so i bet if i had someone who could drive economically for a tank i could get 450 or so outta my car.

Check the fuel filter and the injectors to see if they're dirty, if either one is dirty that could easily be your mpg. Plus run it by an auto zone to see if it's throwing any codes (light might be burnt out)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my GT gets 400 miles to a tank. Im right at 385 and i just hit the gas light. that's 90% highway/10% city cause i filled up before i came home from a road trip. (mostly 70 cruise too)

I also have QUITE the lead foot, as in i usually gun it getting on the highway, and i gun it getting around in traffic, stuff like that. so i bet if i had someone who could drive economically for a tank i could get 450 or so outta my car.

Check the fuel filter and the injectors to see if they're dirty, if either one is dirty that could easily be your mpg. Plus run it by an auto zone to see if it's throwing any codes (light might be burnt out)
I checked the codes with the computer already, the only thing that showed was the tipical MAF sensor which I already fixed it. I am going to check the injectors and the filter to see what could be happening. How many gallons does ur gt? Is it the same gas tank size? Btw the check engine light is properly working ^_^ (is not on though hahaha)

·
Baby on board
657 Posts
If I remember correctly the I4 does not have a separate filter, it is built into the fuel pump itself. I would go ahead and do a tune-up and run some injector cleaner through. If it is idling high maybe get some MAF cleaner and clean that out along with a new air filter. GL you should be getting at least 28 mpg city with that thing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
uh wait wut? there is no 'typical' code. Fix what it's trying to tell you is wrong and then see how it runs.
I meant that the MAF sensor code showed up... I think the MAF sensor is a typical issue on the 3G. I fixed it like 2 weeks ago and is doing great.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts