Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help resizing a gif image to use as an avatar. I've tried 3 different image resizers downloaded from download.com and they all give me the same result. The resized gif file is non-moving...might as well be a jpg but the frame is random so that sucks too.

Can one of you guys tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong, or could one of you perhaps resize the file for me? Here's the gif.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
You need an animation program to resize an animated gif. JASC makes one called animation shop, or you can use GIMP.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need an animation program to resize an animated gif. JASC makes one called animation shop, or you can use GIMP.
Thanks! I just downloaded GIMP and it looks fun. Just need to read through some tutorials to learn how to resize the image.

Or Adobe fireworks. :D

File is too big...1.2MB with a max of 40KB for avatars (I think). And how did you increase the original from 740KB?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that small enough bitwise to be an avatar? I just resized it in GIMP and it came up as 300k.
It has too many frames. 73 I think. That's a fuckton. Could try snipping every other one.
I can snip some frames, but the only way I've found to resize is to do frame by frame. Is there a way to do all frames at once? I tried ctrl+click to select multiple frames but it won't allow it.

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
I got it down to 400K but even with removing half the frames and converting it to 128 colors it still is too big. I want to convert it to even less colors but I can't figure out how. haha

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like I chose an overly-difficult project as my first gif resize. Not all of the frames are the same pixel dimensions, there are too many frames for the intended application, and the file size is huge.

I'll play around with it a bit, but I may end up using something else.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
I can snip some frames, but the only way I've found to resize is to do frame by frame. Is there a way to do all frames at once? I tried ctrl+click to select multiple frames but it won't allow it.
You have to link all the layers together, that way you work on them all at once. It's just too long an animation to work as an avatar.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I played with another one and scaled it down to <100x100 pixels and <40KB, but the avatar still doesn't show as an animated image in my avatar. :sad:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No matter what size I make it, it won't show as my avatar. But I can link to a shitty animated gif from some random photobucket account no problem. I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. When I resize a gif, down to the correct size for this forum, and attach it either from my hard drive or a photobucket account, it just looks like a bad television reception...just horizontal or diagonal lines and no picture. But if I find a small gif image on another photobucket account, one that is far below the required size, it appears just fine. I even tried uploading one in IE and viewing in FireFox, loading in FireFox, etc. No luck! :sad:

·
I Wangs
43,483 Posts
I've never used GIMP so I honestly can't help you there. it does look really wierd. I can't even guess as to what is wrong.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts

1 - 20 of 25 Posts