Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start another thread on this highly debated topic. I think it's time I change to GM MAF metering but (like most people) owning this car made me poor and I don't want to buy the translator.

I've read some old posts on evom where people were talking about not needing a MAFT once some key definitions were found in ECUFlash. Are these (below) those definitions? Does anybody think it's possible to use a GM MAF and just correct for its' signals in the ecu?

If the agreed answer to the above is no way Jose then what's the latest word on giving in and going with a GM MAF & MAFT? I've read all the threads I could find on here about this but most are ancient. Please correct me here...it's my understanding that I can snag a used GM MAF from any one of a ton of vehicles, get a MAFT for the Evo's, install and tune it to simply translate (not tune) the signal, and be done.

Also, do we have to use the translator to send some static baro and iat signal or can we still use the stock maf for this?

Thanks! :twothumb:

·
Registered
78 Posts
GM MAF reads in Volts our MAF in Hz
Thats why we need the translator to translate from V to Hz

But if this works that would be great

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did some more research...

This pdf basically says it can't be done. A hot wire maf outputs voltage at different levels while a KV maf outputs 5 volts at different frequencies.

However this wiki says some older hot film maf's output a constant voltage a varying frequencies (maybe like KV?).

The hot film MAF sensor works somewhat similar to the hot wire MAF sensor, but instead it usually outputs a frequency signal. This sensor uses a hot film-grid instead of a hot wire. It is commonly found in late 80’s early 90’s fuel injected vehicles. The output frequency is directly proportional to the amount of air entering the engine. So as air flow increases so does frequency.

I feel like if we can get something to give 5v frequencies then ecuflash can adjust for the different hz (and maybe even for the loss of baro and IAT?).

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,043 Posts
you have a lot of options that i dont have on your ecu flash hmmm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why you don't use your stock MAF ? Any problem with 100% ECUload ?

I tried Bigmaps with stock MAF and GM-MAF and MAF-T

If you need more information let me know...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts