Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been using regular conventional Castrol motor oil on my 97 eclipse and i am now thinking of going synthetic tomorrow and have heard a lot of different things, for example that i have to use synthetic blend at least three times before i can go full synthetic

97 eclipse has 89,xxx miles just wondering what are the exact steps to go synthetic and if its a good idea with a 89,xxx mile car and since its summer and here in New York the weather reaches 90 degrees and better which oil should i use if i dont go synthetic 10w 30? or 10w 40? ive been using 10w 30 and car runs beautifully sometimes so beautiful it scares me

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, you can switch to synthetic anytime. You can also switch back to conventional at anytime, or whatever you please.

The only time you don't want to use synthetic oil is on cars with rotary engines, or cars older than 1980 and haven't had an engine rebuild.

So you, you'll be fine.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
All of those synthetic myths are just that, a myth. It is just like conventional oil, but has slightly better and more consistent properties. It's nothing that will ruin your engine. That being said, with the newer standards and technologies implemented for the new GF-5/SN certified oil, using synthetic will give you no gains except maybe an extended oil drain interval. Other than that, don't waste your time, especially if it just burns it off anyways.

·
Farts In The Tub
2,245 Posts
I run synthetic in all my vehicles. Best thing ever IMO.
Unless you live in an area where it's so cold you have to plug your vehicle in just to get it to start, or you run a custom turbo application that generates tons of heat...you won't realistically see a bit of difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts