Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finaly, In about 2-3 months im going to get the 5psi AAI turbo from johnny's group buy deal.

IM most likely going to be putting in on myself, plus maybe few friends, b/c i've read up that its a pretty straight foward install.

I guess i would like you guys to give me some pointers, on where i could possibly mess up, and what to watch out for :twitch: .

Is there anything else i should install in addition to what the kit comes with to ensure reliability? I now that ill be taking it to tune on a dyno.

Also, if you guys have sme good online sources on turbo's structure, install, and other things to know about it i would apritiate it.

Gonna have to do some homework on this.

Although, let me know if i shouldn't be messing with this and if i shoudl go look for a shop to do it for me. But the problem with that is that they charge alot, i mean alot. When my friend went looking for one he got a quote for 4k just for the install. Im not paying another turbo and a half to get this one installed :squint:

As always at your mercy :fawk:

THX

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
4k for an install?!? thats outrageous...ive seen other posts saying like 800 for an install...but i would PM tearstone and those guys in Fl that have done all this stuff :p

·
Meow.
7,786 Posts
oh yeah, and i would def. get a shop to do it if you can find a reasonable price. no sense in you fucking your own engine up. at least taht way you could blame someone and get a new turbo/engine.....maybe....

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
You could drive down here to Orlando, get it installed, tuned for waaaaaaaaay less than 4K ;). If you have a garage, fly me up there and I'll install it for you.

But I'm here for you regardless to make your turbo install as smooth as possible. I recommend doing it yourself.

·
RIPPed
547 Posts
Do it yourself! You'll never have a better chance to learn ALL about your engine!!! OOOOHHH, and change your clutch too!! (just kidding about the clutch, I will never install a never clutch again unless someone is threatening the lifes of my loved ones)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Tearstone said:
You could drive down here to Orlando, get it installed, tuned for waaaaaaaaay less than 4K ;). If you have a garage, fly me up there and I'll install it for you.

But I'm here for you regardless to make your turbo install as smooth as possible. I recommend doing it yourself.
Thx tear, if u only lived closer ;)

I'm gonna have to find more info on the install of this kit. If i can find a procedure from a to z it would help to decide if i need a shop or not.

I would definetely want to do it myself. But idk if i can.

Gotta pm johnny...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Russ and I installed my kit at his place. And have to say the hardest part was taking stuff off and finding aplace to put it. USE CUPS FOR BOLTs. And mark them. :)

Wasnt hard at all. to my point atleast.

Chris

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JohnnyBgood said that "The only alteration needed will be for the install of the fuel pump. Everything else is a straight bolt on. It is also a very straight forward install."

Looks like im convinced. Getting my stock stuff off wont be a problem, as i've just taken off my headers a month or so ago to put the stocks back on.

Now just waiting for the money to pile up...

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
There are two cups with a single bolt in them that are really long that you can see in the picture. Those are those to infamous bolts that people leave in their upper oil pan when taking it off. I seperated them because they were not the same length.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not making fun Russ. Just helping him out. It is one of the best things you can do. Unless you wanna play guessing games.

Good luck with it bro.

Chris

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
Hey... I AGREE 100%! I always use masking tape and group bolts together and keep all bolts / brackets / loose parts at one place if I'm to keep them off the car for more than a day. That's another suggestion for ya since cups do fall and you do get lost parts easily the smaller they get.

God knows I've been through "lost parts hell" since I've moved my car from shop to shop... with the engine IN PIECES. :noplease: It's been 7 months since. Imagine the hell it took to find just the simplest bolt to fit in place of one that's missing...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Blu_ I'm also considering the kit for the spring. I should be able to help with any afr/afc, maybe e-manage install as I have one on my car that I installed. I was considering doing the install myself as well. to me it seems like the injectors and fuel pump will be things i'd have problems with. but i'm in CT if you need any help

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eclipse2nr said:
Blu_ I'm also considering the kit for the spring. I should be able to help with any afr/afc, maybe e-manage install as I have one on my car that I installed. I was considering doing the install myself as well. to me it seems like the injectors and fuel pump will be things i'd have problems with. but i'm in CT if you need any help
K, ill let u know when ill be doing the install, thx.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although, Ec2k1GT is selling his xtech kit...http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19258 .

Now idk anything about that kit, but i know few of you guys are running this kit around here though.

SO ill just bombard u guys with questions like always :p

Now, his car is an automatic, and i have a manual, would all the piping and stuff still be the same?
Would i have any problems running it/installing it?

I figure its gonna be alot cheaper than the AAI, but idk about the gains:dunno: his auto put down 233hp and 251tq. What should i expect?

Also, idk about the usage, his been running it little over a year, how much more lifespan could i expect from it?

THX for input

·
My luvly manly lump!
2,438 Posts
Now, his car is an automatic, and i have a manual, would all the piping and stuff still be the same?
Yes. A tc/sc kit per se has nothing to do with the transmission.

Would i have any problems running it/installing it?
  • If you're planning to run it as XTech had originally intended (and Ec2k1GT kept it that way), and the owner had it installed, tuned and maintained properly, no.
  • If you install properly and as originally intended, or as with Ec2k1GT did, no.
  • If you don't know what you're doing, yes.

I figure its gonna be alot cheaper than the AAI, but idk about the gains his auto put down 233hp and 251tq. What should i expect?
Expect about the same. Take note that the basic XTech kit does NOT include an intercooler nor the piping for one. Also note that the XTech is set at 5.6psi through springs, and with only an AFC/AFR to tune. However, it DOES work and you have a lot of support from other members on the board. If and when you decide to add more high-end stuff like an EBC/injectors/fuel management, you will be getting about the same numbers, with a little variance because no two engines are the same in the micro.

Also, idk about the usage, his been running it little over a year, how much more lifespan could i expect from it?
No one can answer this question better than Ec2k1GT. Wear and tear on a TC itself is determined by maintenance, i.e. proper clean oil supply and feed, proper filtration, and perhaps some maintenance (i.e internal cleaning). But for one year, it's all relative and with moderate use, the tc should be fine. Electronics and other mechanical devices are a different story. Know that this TC is capable of about 450whp, and the fins on the compressor side are capable of producing high boost. It's more or less a PT/E SC60. It's a workhorse, and a damn good moderately-sized turbo at that. The KIT it was designed for only boosts at 5.6psi (0.4 barometric), which is peanuts. Most boost gauges out there have as much as 2.5 bar. That should give you an idea.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts