Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had to buy another Optima Red Top battery today. The last Red Top I had lasted about 3-1/2 years. Before that, my stock battery was 4-1/2 years old and wasnt bad (yet) before I decided to get an Optima. Just wondering what other batteries are you guys using and which are good. Also, how long have you had your battery so far? I guess I will have to expect the Red Top to last about 3-4 years as a rule of thumb. Are Interstate Batteries and/or Sears Die Hard any better then perhaps the Optima's ?

Also, as some of you know who have the Optima's, the positive cable has to be bent in order for it to mount on the Optima terminal. Not a big deal. Havent had any probs doing that, but wondering how easy (or hard) is it to replace my stock battery cables. Is it just something I can get new cable connector ends, or should I think about buying the whole things - cable and connectors?

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
I actually have a Duralast, came with the car, and its never failed me even in 10 degree weather with the car completely covered in ice. It started right up.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i didn't have to bend mine to fit, had an interstate in my firebird for a few years with no problems till the alternator died.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
I've heard Optima's last longer than 4 years. My father has a RedTop in his F-150, had it for almost 5 years now... still kickin'. I decided to get one a couple of weeks ago for my 3G... great battery. That little V6 starts right up without hesitation even in freezing temperatures. Your battery only lasting that long depends on how much you drive, what all is drawing power with engine on and off, the condition of your alternator... etc.

As far as the RedTops go, mine was just plug and play, I didn't have to adjust the positive clamp at all. Now, from what I understand Optima doesn't make a YellowTop that directly fits with the Eclipse, but it's still possible to use it. Those you do have to modify the terminal clamps.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts