Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have owned my 3g for about a year and have been very unsuccessful at finding alot of good power adders. But the main thing I am looking for is stand alone ecu or flash. Much help would be appreciated I used to own a lego car a 99 civic now I moved on but miss the accessibility of aftermarket parts. My goal is to attempt to keep up with most sporty cars. I am building a sleeper I have the 3.0 v6 thanks again

·
UMADBREH?
3,460 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First off, the 3G platform has hardly any decent aftermarket parts. Intakes and exhausts are easy to find but don't do much for power. There are no turbo kits being produced for the platform anymore, and the I4 kits you find are crappy knock-offs that utilize cheap China materials. In short, all useful power adders need to be self-fabricated by hand, and it's not cheap.

Most people around here have had more luck with motor swaps. The 6G74 and non-Mivec 6G75 motors are relatively simple swaps that can be completed by people who take the time and effort to plan ahead. Most people have done the swaps under $2000, which is considerably cheaper than piecing together a decent turbo setup.

This car sucks in regards to making it fast. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money, keep the car simple with bolt-ons and modify the suspension a bit, wheels and tires, etc.

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

First off, the 3G platform has hardly any decent aftermarket parts. Intakes and exhausts are easy to find but don't do much for power. There are no turbo kits being produced for the platform anymore, and the I4 kits you find are crappy knock-offs that utilize cheap China materials. In short, all useful power adders need to be self-fabricated by hand, and it's not cheap.

Most people around here have had more luck with motor swaps. The 6G74 and non-Mivec 6G75 motors are relatively simple swaps that can be completed by people who take the time and effort to plan ahead. Most people have done the swaps under $2000, which is considerably cheaper than piecing together a decent turbo setup.

This car sucks in regards to making it fast. Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money, keep the car simple with bolt-ons and modify the suspension a bit, wheels and tires, etc.
This. So much this.

·
03 Spyder GTS 230 HP
478 Posts
That's not entirely true only if you want to stay with the 6g72 and not do a motor swap, only way you can go to Supercar territory is to do the following, be ready to spend up to $20,000 or more.

First off, it has been done before, GTS Peru I belive is his name.:

http://www.club3g.com/forum/members-rides/140481-03-eclipse-gts-t.html

Depending on how deep your pockets are, you could make up to 500 - 650+ Horsepower on this platform but a transmission upgrade is required and the only place that I know that can do that is in New Jersey. You'll have to talk to Pat and for $3,500-$3700 dollars he will bullet-proof your transmission. Expect to wait in New Jersey for 5-6 days until he is done. Options for getting your tranny there are to remove it from the car and ship it or drive there and stay in jersey till he is done.

Mitsubishi Performance Parts & Upgrades | Mitsubishi Transmission, Torque Converter, Valve Body

The problem is that the stock transmission breaks around 400 Horsepower and if you want to go higher, the transmission will have to hold up. That's only if you are serious about spending cash and planning on fabricating your own turbo kit to put about 20 - 25 pounds of boost to reach that kind of power. You'll also need either two transmission coolers or just one big transmission cooler. Pat won't build you a level 10 bullet proof tranny without one.

You'll also have to build up the internals. I'd recommend Brian Crower.

BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Mitsubishi // 6G72

You could place an order for Stage 3 Camshafts, Titanium Valve Retainers, Billet Keepers, Manganese Valve Guides, Brian Crower 625HP+ Connecting Rods, ARP 625HP+ Fasteners, Connecting Rod Bushings, JE Forged Pistons, Billet Crankshaft with some ARP Head Studs, clevite bearings, and a Cometic Gasket and some Royal Purple Racing Oil with an Oil Cooler to keep the turbo cool, 3SX high volume fuel rails with 3SX Fuel Loop.

You could also opt to get the stroker kit. Again, most members will tell you to just get the engine swap done for cheaper which economically makes more sense.

While you are at it, go ahead and custom order some Titanium Valves from Ferrea. Best way to do it is to buy a stock valve for the 6g72 and send it in so they can get the correct sized Titanium Valves sent back to you.

Titanium Valves | Ferrea.com

I would also recommend you port your intake manifold, port and polish your heads and get a 6g74 bored throttle body.

For the ECU, you have to go with a Haltech, probably the Platinum Sport 2000 ECU. Be ready to spend another $2,000 on this alone and have a million wires to connect.

Platinum Sport 2000 | Haltech - Engine Management Systems

Wiring is a nightmare, one of our members switch over to this on an old Haltech and another member in South America is also running one.

As for the Ignition System, you will have to completely switch over all to MSD. Pretty much MSD everything. Make sure you get a MSD unit that handles 8000 RPM.

As for fuel, probably a 1/2 Inch fuel line, 500-600 CC Injectors, 400 LPH or greater Fuel Pump, Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator.

For the Turbo Kit, it will most likely have to be a Garrett 650-750 HP Turbo with Wastegates, Blow-Off Valves, Intercooler, Custom Piping, Some gauges, like a Boost Gauge, Wideband O2 Gauge (AEM UEGO), Turbo Timer Gauge etc.

Be prepared to spend hundreds on dyno runs for tuning.

Now for all the people that prefer to spend only $2,000 on an engine swap and be happy, great. I have no problem with that. But if you have an open checkbook/deep pockets and spending $20,000 to $30,000 on engine upgrades is peanuts to you because you may have over hundreds of thousands of dollars and you just don't care, more power to you.

I am in no way forcing anyone to do any of the above, I'm just trying to be as informative as possible by letting the OP know what is possible if money is not an issue the above is really possible.

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
If money wasn't an issue, I think he wouldn't have a 3G eclipse. :lol:

Heck, nowadays, kids think $100 for a bolt on part is ubber expensive. But yes, with deep pockets, anything is possible.

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
Yeah, if I'm putting 20k into a car, it's not gonna be a 3G. I'd get a used Evo 8/9, build up the driveline, and drop the rest on an EF setup.
+1.

the eclipse is a great cruising car.. driving halfway across the country is great in one(drove straight through from IL to GA without any issues).. i miss mine for exactly that reason. however i don't miss the tank-like handling, and the front wheel drive..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agreed I had $30,000 I would grab a 2jz supra, g35 with rb26 awd swap or evo fq-400. I think about $15,000 is the Max to spend on a 3g. The gentlemen above with the $30k comment reminds me of a friend of mine who dumped $38,000 into an 03 zx3 ford focus.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nope for a stage 2 turbo for 300 Hp, a auto transmission that can take up to 500 horse, body kit ,rims hood, lambo doors, sound system, paint job. Its basically a shit box show car in my opinion, I really think he is nucken Futz dumping that much into a ford focus and its not that fast honestly. Horrible tune i guess don't know. He sold his 2nd gen gst eclipse because he "couldn't make it fast if he tried" direct quote. To each there own I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts