Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys! Looking into putting a cold air intake on my 01 eclipse gt. Ive seen some that take the air filter down under towards the front bumper, however i personally dont like that idea and would rather have the air filter stay up where i could see it if that makes sense. Doesnt have to be the best, and hopefully something thats not too much. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it stays up then it's a ram air intake. You can get a CAI and easily adapt it into a ram air intake. The one on my 2001 is an AEM brand, which has a lifetime warranty. When one of those rubber flange things broke they sent me a new one for free, and they are CARB legal.
ah i didnt even know that. Thank you soo much i really appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
I also have an AEM on my 01 Spyder GT. I bought the short ram at first. I found that it was sucking hot air from under the hood, so I bought a silicon extension from Spectra and dropped it into the wheel well just behind the driver's signal light. Now it's getting cold air from the front of the car.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

Your choice brother.... Here's a link to the AEM Intake for your GT 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 3.0L V6 Gas Performance Parts | AEM

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have an AEM on my 01 Spyder GT. I bought the short ram at first. I found that it was sucking hot air from under the hood, so I bought a silicon extension from Spectra and dropped it into the wheel well just behind the driver's signal light. Now it's getting cold air from the front of the car.
View attachment 44475 View attachment 44476 View attachment 44477

Your choice brother.... Here's a link to the AEM Intake for your GT 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 3.0L V6 Gas Performance Parts | AEM
thanks soo much for the response. Your car looks great i love it, and the pictures really helped. A few questions though. From my understanding, you used to have your filter at the top by the hood (firsts picture), but then you moved it because you found that it was getting hot air in. And second, i saw on aem website they actually sell short ram intake kits, would that work too?

·
Registered
37 Posts
View attachment 44475 View attachment 44476 View attachment 44477

I also have this style of intake with the filter located in front of the drivers side wheel well, personally i feel that this design is much better as it is actually pulling cold air but u definitely get less intake noise than if it was in the engine bay

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
thanks soo much for the response. Your car looks great i love it, and the pictures really helped. A few questions though. From my understanding, you used to have your filter at the top by the hood (firsts picture), but then you moved it because you found that it was getting hot air in. And second, i saw on aem website they actually sell short ram intake kits, would that work too?
That is what I originally started with...a short ram intake... but then decided to put the filter into the wheel well... I agree that you get less intake sound, but It's not about that... I simply moved it because it was sucking hot air defeating its purpose. Get yourself the long ram....then you have the option of going short or long...

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
139 Posts
I have the long type for mine, but it is not installed right now. The one I have is not C.A.R.B. Approved for California. I bought it to use on track days. It was cheap though [$40]. After I get the car smogged, I might put it back on. I agree with what has been said about drawing the air in under the fender. That is much cooler air than air under the hood. ...J.D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts