Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
I do not approve.
11,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warner recently announced that it’s switching HD format camps to Blu-ray. Last weekend, actually. This leaves Toshiba on very shaky ground. There are very few companies supporting HD DVD anymore. New Line Cinema, Disney, Warner Bros, Fox, Sony Pictures are all Blu-ray now, leaving HD DVD with what? Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal? Yeah, there are a couple of big names there, but a lot more names elsewhere.

I’m glad. I’ve long since been a Blu-ray supporter as its always supported the 1080p HD standard, something that HD DVD has had to upgrade to. Now, to just find a cheap, used PS3 somewhere.

Update: The Financial Times, via Engadget, claims that Paramount is preparing to use its “get out” clause and go back to Blu-ray. This would basically kill HD DVD immediately. Interesting.

Paramount following Warner out the HD DVD door? - Engadget

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
So.. Sony stock is currently at $55/share. Maybe I should go grab 100 shares and hold on to them for a year or so? :)

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
While I have "invested" into Bluray I would be fine if HD-DVD won. I just want this format war over with. People can blame Sony and say how the PS3 was a trojan horse for the format and that is fine. I think it was smart business.

Warner making the jump certainly helps the Bluray camps position but it isn't over. In these kinds of fights, content is king, and currently Bluray does have an abundance of that. Not only do they share a majority of movie releases but the amount of hardware companies backing the format is impressive. If Paramount is able to back out of its agreement that would be the killing blow imo. I just want Universal to put Battlestar Galactica out on Bluray. Lord of the Rings is already on its way!!!

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
I just want this format war over with.
Same here. I haven't pulled the trigger on a player for either format yet because I didn't want to end up with our generation's BETAMAX. If HD-DVD goes away and Blu-Ray wins out, I'm sure it will ease people's minds and Blu-Ray player sales will increase which will result in decreasing player prices, which will result in me being happy :)

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
This has to be one of the few things Sony developed that is actually going to work in the long term.

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
I didn't want to end up with our generation's BETAMAX.
I was in the same boat but decided if I went with Blu and it failed, that I would have a compatible, supported player in the PS3 for at least 7-10 years. That was enough for me to take the risk. In 10 years maybe broadband will be to the point (in bandwidth and penetration) to make digital downloads more realistic.

I have to say I still like the idea of owning physical media. I like being able to thumb through my racks of movies and deciding what I feel like watching. Also hard drives bother me. If a movie with extras and lossless audio are 30-50GB each even a 500GB hard drive will fill up quickly. Also if a sector in a drive goes bad you've lost all the movies. I'm sure there is a system to recover purchased items but that is still buying a new external and the time d/l'ing them again. Then again Solid State Hard Drives should be pretty normal by then and those have an estimated 1,000,000 work hour life spans.

:dunno:

Still keeping track of what movies are on what drives could be an issue. Or maybe you don't even keep the copy of the movie on your hard drives. Perhaps you just have unlimited access to streaming them whenever you want...

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
Warner didn't so much "switched camps" as they did "picked a side." Prior to the announcement, they released their movies to both HD DVD and Blu Ray. With the new announcement, they'll stop releasing HD DVDs after the end of May 2008, and be Blu Ray exclusive.

The end result is the same, however. Looks like we're getting close to the end of the format war.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Guess I'll be glad it's over, although I do own an HD-DVD player. I don't feel too screwed though, it was $200 and came with 5 movies and a rebate for 5 more. not too shabby, and of course it upconverts "normal" DVD's and has HDMI, optical sound output, etc. So it was worth it, but I'll be sad that my rental options will be limited.

I am glad to see that Sony is not the only manufacturer of the B-R players, I hate monopolies.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Guess I'll be glad it's over, although I do own an HD-DVD player. I don't feel too screwed though, it was $200 and came with 5 movies and a rebate for 5 more. not too shabby, and of course it upconverts "normal" DVD's and has HDMI, optical sound output, etc. So it was worth it, but I'll be sad that my rental options will be limited.

I am glad to see that Sony is not the only manufacturer of the B-R players, I hate monopolies.
blu-ray has no way of playing normal dvd's, does it? I hope my DVD collection doesnt go to waste or I hope I don't have to get a DVD and a blu-ray player.

·
Um... Yeah!?
32,055 Posts
I have to say I still like the idea of owning physical media. I like being able to thumb through my racks of movies and deciding what I feel like watching. Also hard drives bother me. If a movie with extras and lossless audio are 30-50GB each even a 500GB hard drive will fill up quickly. Also if a sector in a drive goes bad you've lost all the movies. I'm sure there is a system to recover purchased items but that is still buying a new external and the time d/l'ing them again. Then again Solid State Hard Drives should be pretty normal by then and those have an estimated 1,000,000 work hour life spans.
I agree with you on that. I get HD movies through my cable service, and I have set it to record certain movies I had interest in watching. But all of them end up getting deleted from the hard drive sooner or later, because eventually I run out of space.

Sure, there's also the physical space that DVDs take up to consider, but at least for now, that's more easily solved.

Plus I can easily take my DVDs to other locations to watch. I expect the same will be true eventually for Blu Ray (or HD DVD, if it somehow wins the format war).

·
08/05/2008
5,624 Posts
Just a random continuation of thoughts.

Well thinking more about the future... I was thinking about d/l'd content. I am now assuming that ownership actually will go away. I assume the future will be a centralized system that all the movie studios, television providers will agree upon. Through this centralized system you will be able to create an account. Through that account you will purchase titles to "own" that will be flagged for your account. At this point you can select any title that you "own" and stream it whenever you want, from wherever you login from (or if DRM is really restrictive from one or two registered displays to keep excessive account sharing at a minimum). There will be a nice interface in which you can organize your titles however you want (alphabetical, genre, studio, release date, etc).

That solves the need for the customer to take on the risk of maintaining and growing home servers. Then again if your internet connection goes down it even whittles your entertainment options down more than ever (at least I know whenever my internet goes down, my cable usually goes with it, and in this hypothetical situation my movie collection does too). :p

·
21,478 Posts
I purchased a Toshiba HDDVD player in September. Mostly for my favorite movies, the Matrix Trilogy and a few others. I won't own a PS3 or any Blu Ray player for that matter until it's decided for sure.

Or until they release some of my favorites (LOTR, TERMINATORS, INDIANA JONES and STAR WARS SET)

I am perfectly happy with my HD DVD's. Still look beautiful to me :)

·
I do not approve.
11,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This has to be one of the few things Sony developed that is actually going to work in the long term.
Trinitron tubes
Flat tube televisions
DSP surround
Betamax (in a professional setting it only just stopped getting much use)
The Walkman
The CD player
Earbud headphones
Firewire connectivity
Digital tape camcorders

I'm not just being a snarky fuck. Yeah, they got some bad publicity for the Memory Stick and Betamax (consumer), but they're a pretty damn innovative company. :)

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
DailyTech - Wal-Mart to Give HD DVD the Boot, Sides With Blu-ray

Wal-Mart's decision could be the final nail in the coffin for HD DVD

The HD DVD Promotional Group is going to have a hard time recovering from today's announcement from Wal-Mart. The enormous retail giant announced on its Check Out blog that it has chosen Blu-ray as its high-definition platform of choice.

The company says that HD DVD players and movies will continue to be sold at its stores through the spring of 2008. However, the retailer will no longer carry HD DVD merchandise once the month of June rolls around. From June on out, Wal-Mart will only stock Blu-ray players and movie along with traditional DVD players and movies.

"Not sure of the short term pricing plans, but history tells us that as more people move to a new technology prices typically go down," said Susan Chronister, a buyer in the movie category for Wal-Mart. "So... if you bought the HD player like me, I'd retire it to the bedroom, kid’s playroom, or give it to your parents to play their John Wayne standard def movies, and make space for a BD player for your awesome Hi Def experience."

It appears that the writing is on the wall for HD DVD and the HD DVD Promotional Group -- the loss of Wal-Mart is huge blow.

This latest news from Wal-Mart comes just days after Netflix announced that it would abandon HD DVD altogether and Best Buy announced that it would give Blu-ray preferential treatment in its stores. Following the announcements from Netflix and Best Buy, the HD DVD Promotional Group could only muster the following:

We have long held the belief that HD DVD is the best format for consumers based on quality and value, and with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market, it's unfortunate to see Netflix make the decision to only stock Blu-ray titles going forward. While the Best Buy announcement says they will recommend Blu-ray, at least they will continue to carry HD DVD and offer consumers a choice at retail.

Strangely enough, Michael Bay predicted that Wal-Mart would "go blue" following Warner's decision to side with Blu-ray. "Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray, said Bay in early January. "That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins."

More recently, Bay proclaimed "I told you so" with regards to the sharks circling the struggling HD DVD format. "Am I thrilled? It really wasn’t my fight, but remember what I said in the press? I was kind of saying HD [DVD]’s going to lose," Bay remarked. "No one believed me."

The HD DVD versus Blu-ray battle was fun while it lasted, but it looks as though we can all finally sit back and relax as the Blu-ray library expands while the remaining studios switch from "red" to "blue".

1 - 20 of 61 Posts