Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats best to use to clean the 'human grime' that builds up on shifters, parking brake levers, steering wheels, radio buttons, etc but wont leave the surface feeling sticky to the touch of slimy? it seems like regular household cleaners leave the vinyl feeling sticky but on the other hand i dont want a slippery steering wheel!

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use Dupont teflon wipes and they are great, I have had no issues with it making any interior part that I touch with my hands slippery. It is also available in a spray on form which leaves pretty much the same result, but its sometimes easier to apply on bigger areas such as the dash.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
I like this stuff:

Oftentimes, I supplement it with the towels they sell in the can under the same name. Go back over it with a dry microfiber towel for a nice clean (but not shiny/slick) look & feel.

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
Anyone use armor all?
Creates just the sort of sticky/slimy results he doesn't want.

Most used car dealerships use Armor All. Ever run your hand across the dash of one of those slimy things? *ick*

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well this isnt for a 3G. my steering wheel, arm rests, shift knob, and parking brake lever are all of that rubber/vinyl material thats not hard like the 3G parts are, its got some squish to it. not sure how leather cleaner would work out on rubber/vinyl. my shift knob gets some of that grime on it after a while, especially between where my fingers sit, and the steering wheel gets some on it as well. the arm rests and brake lever just get dirty, but not built up like the shift knob and steering wheel.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
well this isnt for a 3G. my steering wheel, arm rests, shift knob, and parking brake lever are all of that rubber/vinyl material thats not hard like the 3G parts are, its got some squish to it. not sure how leather cleaner would work out on rubber/vinyl. my shift knob gets some of that grime on it after a while, especially between where my fingers sit, and the steering wheel gets some on it as well. the arm rests and brake lever just get dirty, but not built up like the shift knob and steering wheel.
It will work, I'm not giving the advice based on a 3G - I'm giving it based on my experience with cleaning/showing vehicles for over 10 years now. :)

·
MINI by proxy
4,408 Posts
The "Quik Interior" detailer above is not for leather and works pretty well at cleaning my stock shift knob, which I imagine is of similar material to your April foolish COTM. :p

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, i'll give some of these products a whirl and see how they do.

the grime on the shift knob is pretty bad in a couple spots however, will the wipes or sprays you're suggesting work well and take it all off with ease? previously ive been using a vinegar based glass/surface cleaner on the interior since it seems pretty mild but busts through the grime very well....and i still have to clean things 2-3 times to get them all the way clean.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
thanks guys, i'll give some of these products a whirl and see how they do.

the grime on the shift knob is pretty bad in a couple spots however, will the wipes or sprays you're suggesting work well and take it all off with ease? previously ive been using a vinegar based glass/surface cleaner on the interior since it seems pretty mild but busts through the grime very well....and i still have to clean things 2-3 times to get them all the way clean.
Well - the products above won't work miracles. The objective is to NOT let it get that bad to begin with. Once you get it clean to your satisfaction, stay on top of it and clean more frequently. :)

·
54,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well - the products above won't work miracles. The objective is to NOT let it get that bad to begin with. Once you get it clean to your satisfaction, stay on top of it and clean more frequently. :)
yea, its been cold and i've lapsed. if i clean with the harsher cleanser and then go over with the stuff you recommend, think the good stuff would kill the sticky feeling? :dunno: part of the problem with the shift knob is the surface has been worn smooth by the decade and a half of use, so its not the glossy rubber anymore, but the slightly more porous rubber under that...which actually feels better to my hand than the smooth new stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts