Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine bought an item from ebay which turned out to be a knock-off. Now we can't get the guy to reply to email and his phone number is a fake. Also, his physical address is a PO box.

Anyone know how to get personal info from a gmail email address? I did a general search and came up with nothing. Is there a site that will provide more information perhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My friend payed through some 3rd party for some reason. So Paypal complaint is out of the question. I don't really use ebay, but he seems to be pretty lucky with it most of the time. I don't recall him ever saying he got scammed before. I usually go to him to help me with bids when I'm looking for something.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
You NEVER EVER pay through a third party, especially western union or something similar. That's ALWAYS a scam.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
3rd party on ebay?? Thats just plain stupid. Your friend got burned and let it be a lesson. Theres nothing he can do.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. We know we got scammed, friend now realizes 3rd party paying is bad, now we want to make the seller feel some pain.

Thanks for the replies though. I'm not complaining, but we knew he got screwed as soon as the product arrived and we realized the guy's website was BS. So the question was, is there some way we can get some information on this guy via a gmail address.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Put a negative feedback on his profile. Contact eBay and see what they can do to help. Probably no help there, but there's nothing to lose. Also you mentioned that the sat system is not accepting STB files. Does that mean that the Free stuff is actually working and only the encrypted stuff is not?

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
It's likely you will find the person involved is in Eastern Europe.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Okay. We know we got scammed, friend now realizes 3rd party paying is bad, now we want to make the seller feel some pain.
Unfortunately.. theres nothing you can do and no pain you can provoke onto the seller. Chalk this up as a loss, lesson learned, and move on.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Put a negative feedback on his profile. Contact eBay and see what they can do to help. Probably no help there, but there's nothing to lose. Also you mentioned that the sat system is not accepting STB files. Does that mean that the Free stuff is actually working and only the encrypted stuff is not?
The receiver is good for Free To Air satellites.

Unfortunately.. theres nothing you can do and no pain you can provoke onto the seller. Chalk this up as a loss, lesson learned, and move on.
This was definitely a lesson learned. As I mentioned, this guy uses ebay quite frequently and this was his first time using a 3rd party payment method. This was also the first time he's ever been ripped off on ebay. So like you and others stated, we learned a valuable lesson here.

·
Future M.D.
854 Posts
Soooo, your friend feels like he got burned because he can't do something illegal with the receivers, but they do exactly what they were designed for (FTA)?

·
Donate 4 Life
3,767 Posts
Soooo, your friend feels like he got burned because he can't do something illegal with the receivers, but they do exactly what they were designed for (FTA)?

That's what I was thinking.. they got pissed because they got cheated when trying to cheat the satelite company..:whistling: :lol:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
My friend payed through some 3rd party for some reason. So Paypal complaint is out of the question. I don't really use ebay, but he seems to be pretty lucky with it most of the time. I don't recall him ever saying he got scammed before. I usually go to him to help me with bids when I'm looking for something.
:lmfao:

That sucks, but I'ma agree with superGT... Lol

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking.. they got pissed because they got cheated when trying to cheat the satelite company..:whistling: :lol:
He got screwed because the items purchased were not as described in the ebay listing. Whether or not he can do less than appropriate things with these receivers is really beside the point. What this guy does with his personal property is his business. Buying something from an ebay seller that is a scam or fake item is the point of the thread.

·
is on a fitness kick
11,748 Posts
my thoughts exactly :lol:

·
Future M.D.
854 Posts
You guys are correct. Buddy got burned because he payed for receivers which are supposed to accept files to pick up reception from "other" providers and don't. He got screwed because the items purchased were not as described in the ebay listing. Whether or not he can do less than appropriate things with these receivers is really beside the point. What this guy does with his personal property is his business. Buying something from an ebay seller that is a scam or fake item is the point of the thread.
Well, I suppose he will think twice about trying to steal next time won't he? I would actually like to give the seller a pat on the back :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts