Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 eclipse gt, and everytime im driving at a speed higher then 30 and i turn the wheel to the right a little bit it sounds like the driverside front is making a grinding noise and it's just getting worse. but it only makes the grinding noise when i turn to the right. It's not the brakes because when i put the brakes on it doesnt stop and its not the motor because when i put it in neutral and coast it still grinds. does anyone know what it could be.. please help!!! Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like when your break pads have no pad left and you put on your breaks. i can feel it in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Are you sure the brakes are fine? Usually, if the brakes are to the point that they're actually grinding the sound won't go away when you brake...a lot of times it even gets worse...that would be my first choice. Lift up the front end, give everything a good shake, check the brakes, look at the CV boots...something should be noticable...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but its only when i turn the car to the right, its perfect when i turn to the left and hit the breaks, and its fine when i hit the breaks when im going straight.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
but its only when i turn the car to the right, its perfect when i turn to the left and hit the breaks, and its fine when i hit the breaks when im going straight.
Which is why you need to do a visual inspection of the front end instead of just trying to think about what part(s) could be bad...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
A grinding sound can be many things. Do a very thorough visual check of the front end, especially the driver's side (e.g., CV boot/joint, tie rods and tie rod ends, wheel bearing, etc.).

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
A grinding sound can be many things. Do a very thorough visual check of the front end, especially the driver's side (e.g., CV boot/joint, tie rods and tie rod ends, wheel bearing, etc.).
:agreed:
My 1st guesses re the CV joint or wheel bearing/hub. As stated jack her up and shake things a bit. See if you can find or recreate the noise while on jack stands.

·
I now has Mitsu AWD.
701 Posts
I have a similar problem, except I believe it could be the shield behind the brakes. The sound doesn't happen when at speed, its mainly when the car is at a stop or very slowly, like 3 mph, and I turn to the right. I've never really looked at the brake shields, how close or how far should they be from the whole brake assembly?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Also check to see if the metal sheild behind the rotors are bent.
If the grinding were caused by a bent brake shield then the noise should be constant (low speed, high speed, turning, straight line, etc) as the shield and the rotor are attached (they both turn the same amount at the same time), correct?

I would highly doubt that it is coming from the brake shield if you only hear the noise when turning to the right.... but you may as well check while the wheel is already off. Or you could swing by a shop that does alignments and I bet they could source the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem. I took a video of it too, I'm going to try to post it. It sounds like the brakes are rubbing against each other and making that squeaky sound. Any who if you can let me know, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The clip of the sound.

Hi,
Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same problem. I took a video of it too, I'm going to try to post it. It sounds like the brakes are rubbing against each other and making that squeaky sound. Any who if you can let me know, that would be great. Thanks.
Here is my uploaded video of the sound. Any help would be great.

Thanks

04 Mitsubishi Eclipse making noises when turning - YouTube

1 - 16 of 16 Posts