Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my car for about 4 months now and about 3 weeks ago I starting to notice a grinding noise coming from the driver side. It only happens in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear and occasionally in 4th only when I let off the gas and do not push the cluth in. As soon as I push the cluth in or hit the gas again it instantly goes away. It will make the grinding noise in all rpm ranges getting quiter as the rpms drop until it almost goes away at around 1500 to 1000 rpms.

The weird thing is, is that it doesn't do it every day. Some days it won't do it at all, others it may do it in the morning but later in the afternoon and vice-versa and sometimes it will do it all day.

If any one has any ideas please let me know. I would like to fix this now before it turns into something major.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pilot bearing. Mine did that for a while... couldn't figure it out for a month then a mechanic buddy said the clutch was going. Sure enough, it started slipping within a few days.
Go get the clutch replaced and the fly wheel re-surfaced and you're good for another 70k miles or so.

edit:
Just a little more explanation; when you push the clutch in, it takes pressure off, hence the noise stops. Also, the grinding is heat dependent, so USUALLY only it does it more when the engine and trans are cold.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I am having the same issue right now. I was told that it was my throw-out bearing. Pretty much, I am in need of a new clutch and flywheel more than likely, but at the moment, I do not have the money period to fix anything. I have been experiencing the grinding for a while now, and the clutch has not been slipping, so hopefully it can wait until next semester when I have the money. You've got to love a college kid's budget.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in the same boat as you crpearce except I am still in High School paying for this car and all so I really don't have any money. My cluth hasn't started to slip or anything but I guess if it does I'll have to find some way to get the money to replace it.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
223 Posts
throw out bearing = pilot bearing
It'll usually make that noise for a while before you need to do the clutch. Mine lasted about 2 or 3 months.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
I figured they were the same thing, but I had never heard of it referred to as a pilot bearing. I guess you learn something everyday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a similar noise, kind of like a spinning grinding noise.... Now it does it mostly in first and second and like you said, goes away when I push the clutch in... It just had an OEM exedy clutch installed in september.. maybe I should be taking it back there?

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
** Sorry for the post. I forgot that I had already replied to this thread. **

·
Registered
358 Posts
It'll usually make that noise for a while before you need to do the clutch. Mine lasted about 2 or 3 months.
Actually, they are entirely different. THe throwout bearing releases the clutch when engaged. the pilot bearing, which not all vehicles have, is mounted directly to the crankshaft and centers the input shaft of the transmission. IIRC, the GT does not have a pilot bearing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Actually, they are entirely different. THe throwout bearing releases the clutch when engaged. the pilot bearing, which not all vehicles have, is mounted directly to the crankshaft and centers the input shaft of the transmission. IIRC, the GT does not have a pilot bearing.
huh... i just figured they were the same because 2 different mechanics used the different terms but quoted me about the same price for the same job.

·
Registered
358 Posts
you would have to remove the transmission to change either of them, so the labor rate would be the same i guess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts