Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Eclipse, 00', 03' 4g64, 01' 5 speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've replaced the alternator 3 times and it still won't hold a charge. Won't run without jumper cables or only on a fully charged battery. I've started checking the grounds but after chasing the terminal I only found two! The one on the tranny and the one to the starter. I might just be ignorant but I'm still learning simple things. I was wondering if anyone's got any tips? -Dom

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
My quick check on an alternator is to put a meter on the battery posts and take a voltage reading with the engine off. Then start the engine and take a second reading. Normally there should be a rise in voltage indicating the alternator is working. You can also use a meter to check for proper grounds and loose terminals. If the fuse is blown, that should be apparent when you get no sign of voltage rise at the battery posts when you start the engine. Diagnosing problems by throwing parts at it gets expensive fast. ...J.D.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Dominic-Ezra

Easiest thing is to bring your battery to get tested first to ensure this is not the cause. Then I would do the following if the battery is good;

I would suggest disconnecting the battery and checking for continuity with a multimeter from your alternator output to your positive battery cable, you should have continuity. If you don't have continuity performing the above test, you should check your fuseable link or for any melted / shorted or broken wires. As someone else mentioned above, you should have around 12 volts DC from your battery with car off, and 14 + volts DC when the engine is running.

Another way to test the same circuit is with the engine running, if you have 14V right at the alternator, and only 12V at your battery, then you know you have a wiring or fusable link issue between the battery and alternator.

Best of luck! let us know your findiings.

·
Registered
2000 Silver GS manual
15 Posts
My son had a similar issue and it ended up being what I'll call a fusible link at the positive battery terminal. His is a GTS (pictured 100A) and mine is a GS (120A) and different, but both have it. Sorry the photo is entirely to large!
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Gas Film camera

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
If you are not willing or able to dig in to this with meter in hand, you probably should take it to a competent mechanic. But replacing 3 alternators in the same car is a waste of time and money. If you do not have a multi-meter or know how use one, this is the time to learn. ;)...J.D.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've replaced the alternator 3 times and it still won't hold a charge. Won't run without jumper cables or only on a fully charged battery. I've started checking the grounds but after chasing the terminal I only found two! The one on the tranny and the one to the starter. I might just be ignorant but I'm still learning simple things. I was wondering if anyone's got any tips? -Dom
Check your battery and run another ground to the frame and engine to fix the issue. How clean are your negitive and positive cables?

·
Registered
2003 Mitsubishi eclipse Gs
13 Posts
There's a few things besides a bad alternator that could cause this problem. A few of them being:
1. Your 180 alternator fuse on the battery positive is blown. Change the positive battery terminal.
2. Your battery indicator light on your gauge cluster is blown out. Turn the key to the on position and make sure the battery light comes on. If not replace the light and the alternator should charge again.
3. Faulty wiring.

Your grounds are probably fine so I would look elsewhere. Try these suggestions and get back to me.

·
Registered
Eclipse, 00', 03' 4g64, 01' 5 speed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are not willing or able to dig in to this with meter in hand, you probably should take it to a competent mechanic. But replacing 3 alternators in the same car is a waste of time and money. If you do not have a multi-meter or know how use one, this is the time to learn. ;)...J.D.
Thank you guys for all of your help! Took whitespider’s advice and invested in a multimeter. It did end up being the fuse shown by blkacc1997. Again thank you all, I am fairly new to this and love how much this car has taught me. I learned a lot from this fuse!
-Dom

·
Registered
71 Posts
All right! My car belt snapped couple months ago but I didnt check, got a new cam sensor, crank sensor, a used ECU, was like huh, oh fine I'll check the belt.
The old ECU should be repaired because it has the key codes stored in it to start the vehicle. There ae three main componets to replace when using a new ECU because the transponder keys are coded to the ECU.

·
Registered
405 Posts
My guess would definitely be a charging fuse 6amps. Check maybe the kick panels and under the hood. Download fsm and trace the wires front to back beginning to end.
Lot of BS flying around. I do not guess on these things. THAT is what the meter is for. Same with the code reader. Modern cars require modern methods. The days are long gone when you can do these things by your "woman's intuition". ...J.D.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
Yeah well you can eat shit and die Ahole. Problem is already solved we don't need your asinine comment. It's not my car I could really give a Phuk! There is such thing as a charging fuse u Dildo a code reader won't say anything for that Phaggot! You can take ur meter and Shove it!
Chill out, man. Though a code reader might not help, a multimeter definitely would help with wiring/fuse issues. No need for name-calling here, nor over-reacting. We all can learn from each other, right?
Besides, I seriously doubt that @WhiteSpyder was questioning your masculinity with his "woman's intuition" remark.

·
Registered
405 Posts
On a lighter note: Finally found some time to take the Spyder out on another outing. Went up the mountain to work at the cabin. I have been installing a computer network up there and adding some electrical in the kitchen. Great weather this weekend, but we all have to get back to work at whatever we do. ...J.D.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,291 Posts
See you all in Hell
I see by this comment you do not understand how a forum works. If you are going to be a little hot head that can not get along with others then you don't belong here. I will ask you one last time to show respect or I have no choice but to ban you from the site. Last wrning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts