Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Ground issues?

Tags
4g64
2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Widgmaster 
#1 ·
I've replaced the alternator 3 times and it still won't hold a charge. Won't run without jumper cables or only on a fully charged battery. I've started checking the grounds but after chasing the terminal I only found two! The one on the tranny and the one to the starter. I might just be ignorant but I'm still learning simple things. I was wondering if anyone's got any tips? -Dom

#5 ·
My quick check on an alternator is to put a meter on the battery posts and take a voltage reading with the engine off. Then start the engine and take a second reading. Normally there should be a rise in voltage indicating the alternator is working. You can also use a meter to check for proper grounds and loose terminals. If the fuse is blown, that should be apparent when you get no sign of voltage rise at the battery posts when you start the engine. Diagnosing problems by throwing parts at it gets expensive fast. ...J.D.

#6 ·
@Dominic-Ezra

Easiest thing is to bring your battery to get tested first to ensure this is not the cause. Then I would do the following if the battery is good;

I would suggest disconnecting the battery and checking for continuity with a multimeter from your alternator output to your positive battery cable, you should have continuity. If you don't have continuity performing the above test, you should check your fuseable link or for any melted / shorted or broken wires. As someone else mentioned above, you should have around 12 volts DC from your battery with car off, and 14 + volts DC when the engine is running.

Another way to test the same circuit is with the engine running, if you have 14V right at the alternator, and only 12V at your battery, then you know you have a wiring or fusable link issue between the battery and alternator.

Best of luck! let us know your findiings.

#8 ·
If you are not willing or able to dig in to this with meter in hand, you probably should take it to a competent mechanic. But replacing 3 alternators in the same car is a waste of time and money. If you do not have a multi-meter or know how use one, this is the time to learn. ;)...J.D.

#11 ·
If you are not willing or able to dig in to this with meter in hand, you probably should take it to a competent mechanic. But replacing 3 alternators in the same car is a waste of time and money. If you do not have a multi-meter or know how use one, this is the time to learn. ;)...J.D.
I've replaced the alternator 3 times and it still won't hold a charge. Won't run without jumper cables or only on a fully charged battery. I've started checking the grounds but after chasing the terminal I only found two! The one on the tranny and the one to the starter. I might just be ignorant but I'm still learning simple things. I was wondering if anyone's got any tips? -Dom
Thank you guys for all of your help! Took whitespider’s advice and invested in a multimeter. It did end up being the fuse shown by blkacc1997. Again thank you all, I am fairly new to this and love how much this car has taught me. I learned a lot from this fuse!
-Dom

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
There's a few things besides a bad alternator that could cause this problem. A few of them being:
1. Your 180 alternator fuse on the battery positive is blown. Change the positive battery terminal.
2. Your battery indicator light on your gauge cluster is blown out. Turn the key to the on position and make sure the battery light comes on. If not replace the light and the alternator should charge again.
3. Faulty wiring.

Your grounds are probably fine so I would look elsewhere. Try these suggestions and get back to me.

#18 ·
I see by this comment you do not understand how a forum works. If you are going to be a little hot head that can not get along with others then you don't belong here. I will ask you one last time to show respect or I have no choice but to ban you from the site. Last wrning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.