Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hours upon hours of digging through C3g and 2Gstrat for some posts on the AWD I have just a few questions to get us started off. Its time to get some AWD v6's out there. Most of the posts I found were by Greg (Pharmecis) and facts are from mitsubishi so I know its reputable info.

First question: Which drivetrains work for our platform?
Well, the US got the short end of the stick and missed out on the Galant VR4 which would be a perfect bolt up. The Diamante AWD missed us as well. And the 3000gt VR4's engine, of course, sits on the opposite side of the engine bay as ours.

In short, we have no V6 AWD platform we can swap to (lest someone can modify the 3000gt tranny, or possibly get a source from overseas?). So what can we use from the AWD 4cyl? Evo parts are overpriced so I'm looking at DSM's. DSM parts are wonderfully cheap and up here in MN GSX's are rusting through the fenders and are being sold super cheap. I found a GSX for 1250 on craigslist with a bad shortblock...

So what can we use from this? I don't know a whole lot about the 4cyl parts nor do I have the extra money to experiment. Unfortunately the 3g wheelbase is 2 inches longer then that of the 2g and 4+ longer then that of the 1g. The 1g is also dramatically thinner, but the 2g is roughly the same width. The 2g's the best bet not only because its closest suspension but also because all 2g's (I'm only talking GSX's) came with the 4 bolt rear end, which anyone with a v6 on boost would want.

As for bolting up I know some mild welding and drilling is involved as it was on the 3g GS as well. The biggest question isn't getting the rear end to fit, its getting the tranny and transfer case to line up.
Does it line up?
How can we make it line up if it doesn't?
Is there any way to switch the engine's side of the engine bay?

·
Flip! What the zip?!
1,179 Posts
If most of the posts you found were Pharms, then you should know he's not giving up much information. He's said that he's close, but I doubt he has time to work on it. There was one other guy working on it...I doubt he finished, we haven't heard from him.

·
passport applied for
2,437 Posts
i'm very new to anything but old school american muscle,but,i would think trying to bolt a v6 to the already 2g 4cyl. awd would seem like the easiest way.
why wouldn't they match? no room in engine bay, i'm lost!!good luck on trying.

·
Flip! What the zip?!
1,179 Posts
i'm very new to anything but old school american muscle,but,i would think trying to bolt a v6 to the already 2g 4cyl. awd would seem like the easiest way.
why wouldn't they match? no room in engine bay, i'm lost!!good luck on trying.
It wouldn't be an AWD 3G GT/GTS then would it? I don't think the 6G72 would bolt up to the 2G tranny anyway.

·
MIVEC?
1,397 Posts
In the US the Mitsubishi endeavor tranny and drivetrain. But its an automatic. Or if you can get parts from overseas the magna/diamante drivetrain is the best bet.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, but where can we get magna/diamante AWD parts? RPW doesn't sell anything for that drivetrain, not that that'd be cost worthy...

·
BHM - Owner
537 Posts
Just a thought, and may not be a possibility unless an adapter plate is made (something similar to the Ford Cummins conversion plates offered)...

Buuut, My mother happens to own a 2004 Dodge caravan AWD model which sparked my interest. Trans mounts on the driver side same as it does for us...just a thought though. I mean it is a 3.8L V6 hooked up to it even, some driveline components would lkely need to be altered, but perhaps looking into the 2001-2004 Caravan AWD is a viable option?

·
Waiting to get blown
473 Posts
So what can we use from the AWD 4cyl? Evo parts are overpriced so I'm looking at DSM's. DSM parts are wonderfully cheap and up here in MN GSX's are rusting through the fenders and are being sold super cheap. I found a GSX for 1250 on craigslist with a bad shortblock...

So what can we use from this? I don't know a whole lot about the 4cyl parts nor do I have the extra money to experiment. Unfortunately the 3g wheelbase is 2 inches longer then that of the 2g and 4+ longer then that of the 1g. The 1g is also dramatically thinner, but the 2g is roughly the same width. The 2g's the best bet not only because its closest suspension but also because all 2g's (I'm only talking GSX's) came with the 4 bolt rear end, which anyone with a v6 on boost would want.

As for bolting up I know some mild welding and drilling is involved as it was on the 3g GS as well. The biggest question isn't getting the rear end to fit, its getting the tranny and transfer case to line up.
Does it line up?
How can we make it line up if it doesn't?
Is there any way to switch the engine's side of the engine bay?
This thread would probably be a good place to look for the swap info since it has already been done, granted, not with the v6, but it has been done on a 3g. So we know what fits, but what would it take to work with the v6 I guess would be the question.

Here's his list of parts from the first page:
2G rear subframe
2G Control Arms
2G Rear Axles
2G Gas tank
2G Diff Plate
2G Diff Hub
2G E-brakes
Evo 8 Trany
Evo 8 Transfer case
Evo 8 Drive Shaft
Evo 8 Front Axles
Evo 8 Front Knuckles
Evo 8 Rear Diff
Evo 8 Oil pan
Evo 8 Starter
Evo 8 Brakes
Evo 8 FlyWheel, ACT
Evo 8 Clutch, ACT
Evo 8 Clutch Slave

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
This thread would probably be a good place to look for the swap info since it has already been done, granted, not with the v6, but it has been done on a 3g. So we know what fits, but what would it take to work with the v6 I guess would be the question.

Here's his list of parts from the first page:
2G rear subframe
2G Control Arms
2G Rear Axles
2G Gas tank
2G Diff Plate
2G Diff Hub
2G E-brakes
Evo 8 Trany
Evo 8 Transfer case
Evo 8 Drive Shaft
Evo 8 Front Axles
Evo 8 Front Knuckles
Evo 8 Rear Diff
Evo 8 Oil pan
Evo 8 Starter
Evo 8 Brakes
Evo 8 FlyWheel, ACT
Evo 8 Clutch, ACT
Evo 8 Clutch Slave
Thanks, but we already know of this conversion on an I4. I've looked at this thread many times before, just recently as last night even. I'm sure some of those 2G parts would work on a V6 but the Evo 8 stuff I don't think so. The tranny itself is the real issue.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Just a thought, and may not be a possibility unless an adapter plate is made (something similar to the Ford Cummins conversion plates offered)...

Buuut, My mother happens to own a 2004 Dodge caravan AWD model which sparked my interest. Trans mounts on the driver side same as it does for us...just a thought though. I mean it is a 3.8L V6 hooked up to it even, some driveline components would lkely need to be altered, but perhaps looking into the 2001-2004 Caravan AWD is a viable option?
Now this sounds interesting, but here's the million dollar question. Does that caravan tranny come in 5 speed manual form?

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
No. Did I win a million? Actually, it might somewhere in the world, not in the US, though.
If you said yes then you might have.:lol:

·
BHM - Owner
537 Posts
the caravan though does not use a mitsubishi engine at all. its a pushrod V6.
True, though a trans-engine adapter plate is an option to mate the two up even. Given the only current optons is from overseas (which would work but availability and price is difficult to consider the option), then it becomes time to look at other possibilities stateside.

Even if you got the parts from overseas, there is still a lot of work to be done in order for it to go in, with that said anything for this platform will require modified parts, and fabrication to make this happen.

·
2011's are gay
4,791 Posts
what about for the sporty guys? Would the caravan tranny work?
is the caravan a sporty?....doubt it

True, though a trans-engine adapter plate is an option to mate the two up even. Given the only current optons is from overseas (which would work but availability and price is difficult to consider the option), then it becomes time to look at other possibilities stateside.

Even if you got the parts from overseas, there is still a lot of work to be done in order for it to go in, with that said anything for this platform will require modified parts, and fabrication to make this happen.
i don't understand how these adapter plates work. do they act as a spacer and wouldn't that throw off fitment and all that kind of stuff, and how would the torque converter/clutch fit in there properly with the larger gap?

1 - 20 of 346 Posts