Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

301 - 320 of 345 Posts

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
I have had a couple of discussions privately with Greg and read the thread. I might not own the parts personally but have seen the parts and devised that cutting the 2 bell halves in half and welding them together would make the Evo 5 spd bolt up to the 6g7x series engines. I am in a transmission shop and I have personally had my hands on the 04 Evo trans and a 02 3g 5spd so I know what parts are interchangeable. As for the secrets, I ran some options of AWD past Greg 2+ years ago about viable parts and told me to keep my answers to myself for the time being. Being in a transmission shop, I have a pretty good knowlege base at my disposal. Not to mention the vendors from all over the country supplying damn near every part for every transmission. I wasn't trying to offend anyone here. I was simply stating that there had not been a post stating what was done. And it was that your "source" was the only source that could cut 2 halves in half and TIG them together. I was simply stating that I could do it, with the parts in hand. As for your comments on building the awd. I would be happy to if I could find the parts needed at a reasonable price in a reasonably close proximity. You guys get your undies all bound up because I understand what the hell was done even though there is not any posts or pics of this finished product. Don't get me wrong, I don't have one myself nor do I have the thousands of dollars to blow like Charles has to get the parts. I do build my own stuff. If I don't know something or come across a problem, I go find the answer.
I'll take it that when you said "being in a transmission shop" means you work in one, that's cool. If that's the case then you should've seen every part I've bought many times before I bought them. However I showed the pictures here for those who don't work in a tranny shop and don't know what the parts look like but more importantly I showed them because I document everything and to put an end to all the talk that was going on at that time. Someone needed to finally step up so I decided to do so. About cutting the bellhousings in half, hmmmm well I'll let you think that. No offense taken, your post just made me scratch my head. As far as what's been done, well nothing major has been done since I had the bellhousing made. That's why these bumps are a headscratcher, if something new comes up Greg or myself will post it. I never said my source was the only one that could do it, that would be crazy. I know this though, he did do it and he didn't mess up having to go through more than one bellhousing to do it. You think you could do it, then by all means do so, I could guarantee you you will have to go through more than one maybe even two to three bellhousings to get it right. The way you're thinking about going at it isn't good. My undies aren't in a bunch and trust me you don't understand what the hell was done. You think you do and the reason there isn't any post of the finished product is because the product which is my 3G is not finished. If it was Greg and I would've said so which brings me to the point of this whole matter and I'm just going to tell it like it is:

If you or anyone else want to see this conversion done so bad and can't wait until my car is done then by all means go ahead and do it then. I'm not in a race or competition with anyone here. All this talk about I know what to do, I know what was done, I've done my research, blah blah blah but the parts aren't close and I don't have the money is excuse talk. Having the money is the key to the whole deal so if you don't have that then you have nothing and therefore nothing to say on the matter quite honestly.

And for the record, the gts 5 speed and the evo are identical internally, obviously minus the transfer case. I'm in the same boat though, no cash to support the journey.
My second paragraph applies here also.

And that is exactly why I asked Charles to NOT post pictures of the modified bell housing because you are incorrect. Nuff said.

Actually, they aren't identical internally. There are several KEY differences internally. How do I know? I only have like 5 EVO trans at my shop and have rebuilt who knows how many. Go buy your parts because your research = fail.

Oh and the 8G Galant VR4 subframe will not work BTW. But hey, what the fuck do I know?
:)

The impatience is getting really rediculous.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
And that is exactly why I asked Charles to NOT post pictures of the modified bell housing because you are incorrect. Nuff said.

Actually, they aren't identical internally. There are several KEY differences internally. How do I know? I only have like 5 EVO trans at my shop and have rebuilt who knows how many. Go buy your parts because your research = fail.

Oh and the 8G Galant VR4 subframe will not work BTW. But hey, what the fuck do I know?
:lol:

Hmmm bout to go read some of these pages.

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
Sorry, but I am not going to spend $2000 for a transmission when I only have $1400 into my whole car. I just can't justify it. AWD would be cool and if I acumulate enough parts through our salvage part of the business, then I would do it. Yes I work in a shop that not only rebuilds transmissions, we do all auto work; paint, body, mechanical, electrical, and now salvage. It is great that you guys have the blind ambition to do it. Thank you for sharing some of your work. I was just explaining how it sounded like it was done. If you did it different, thats cool. I figured the way I said is prolly one of the strongest ways to put 2 pieces of cast aluminum together. And for the average Joe reading this, is prolly going to have it done this way. We tig weld transmissions all the time. We come across lots with broken mounts and cracked cases.
Also to put this out there too. The Dodge Caravan awd trans that someone brought up wouldn't work well. Completely different trans with a sh!tty differential that is known to spit the spider pin out and through the bell housing. Welded a few of those 604 cases up along with tacking the pins in EVERY one of them. Your car is only as strong as the weakest link. Don't make it your transmission. Thats a whole different story anyways.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Club3g, bunch of broke ass biznitches dreaming all day long about what they could do... If only they won the lottery :lol:

<3

Once we show the world how the bell housing was done, everyone is going to be like oh wow that makes way more sense than cutting 2 bell housings in 1/2 and welding them together.

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
Thanks for your input Resident Asshole, I mean Greg. Have fun. Luckily I don't have to dream all day. I have school and a family to take up most of my busy day. Along with a house to remodel and working part time, now 2 1/2 days a week at the shop. Quite thinking you know everyone. There is alot of ways to build the damn transmission. I really don't give a damn at this point. You could build it out of clay for all I care. I was throwing out into the air a viable way to do it. You guys didn't say how you did it so I guessed. If you CnCed one, great. If you cut the bell off and fabbed a new one, great. Some of us here read and ask questions to learn. If you guys want to blow 5 grand on a transmission, have at it. Have fun. Post updates when you feel like it. Don't get pissy when we ask you questions or make speculations about what you did. Tell us or show us, or don't post at all.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Thanks for your input Resident Asshole, I mean Greg. Have fun. Luckily I don't have to dream all day. I have school and a family to take up most of my busy day. Along with a house to remodel and working part time, now 2 1/2 days a week at the shop. Quite thinking you know everyone. There is alot of ways to build the damn transmission. I really don't give a damn at this point. You could build it out of clay for all I care. I was throwing out into the air a viable way to do it. You guys didn't say how you did it so I guessed. If you CnCed one, great. If you cut the bell off and fabbed a new one, great. Some of us here read and ask questions to learn. If you guys want to blow 5 grand on a transmission, have at it. Have fun. Post updates when you feel like it. Don't get pissy when we ask you questions or make speculations about what you did. Tell us or show us, or don't post at all.
I'm gonna respond to this since you said "you guys" and clear SOME things up.

You say you have all this other stuff going on, that's fine. Greg's primary income is building cars and I do what I do and that's another story. "There is a lot of ways to build the damn transmission. I really don't give a damn at this point. You could build it out of clay for all I care". Sounds like you're a little upset. For what though, because you don't know what was done? Now you don't care or give a damn. You did a 75 swap correct, why? You could've easily stuck with the same size engine that came in your car but you didn't. You post on here your battles with other cars so it sounds like you care enough.

Who blew $5,000 on a transmission? If you read my build thread which is outlined for the lazy I posted how much I spent on each part - the EVO transfercase and EVO bellhousing - you wouldn't have said an ignorant statement like that. Including the 2G rear which price paid is also posted and to get the bellhousing made which is the only thing I didn't post is just over half that. Then again so what if I were to spend $5,000 or $10,000 on it. I'll spend what I have to. I have no children, I'm single, literally own my house and all my cars and I'm debt free with plenty of money to "blow" as you say. It always amazes me how people who claim they don't care who also don't have the money want to make slick comments about those who do who do care, show and prove that have the money.

Another thing I'll add since you want to go at Greg, Greg didn't have any part in making this bellhousing other than supplying a V6 block. To this day Greg and the guy who made the bellhousing have never met. They've talked on the phone, that's it. Greg didn't find the guy, I did. I hit the streets and burned the phone lines up which eventually led to the bellhousing being made. All that is documented in this very thread as well. You want to know what was done and see pics, when the conversion is finished then you'll get the knowledge you seek. And we'll post when we want to do, but you don't see us posting because there is nothing to post. This thread hasn't been bumped in months with anything relevant plus I put a post in bright yellow letters in the beginning of my build thread the status of the build, you think that would stop the question "any updates?" and any other speculation. Nope, not on this forum. Reading is taboo here so if we get "pissy" now you know why. You started throwing the word "secret" around and then this other guy wants to jump in with his little slick "Oops....." comment. Like I can't tell slick talk when I see it. I'm born, raised and live in the slick talk capital of the world and can speak it at the flip of a switch.

As I said before if you or anyone else is not happy at the snails pace Greg and I are moving at with my car and this conversion then by all means go ahead and do it yourself. Everybody seems to know so much but then of course the big excuse is always the lack of funds and the next excuse is outside life. I make no excuses, I did my part and then some. Greg got his mess going on, I understand that and I'm going to stick by him to the end. So if I could wait then I don't understand why the rest of you can't wait. If you can't wait then go out and do it otherwise enjoy the show.

·
Aple juic is my beer
8,831 Posts
:clap::worship:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Who the fuck do you think you are? Do you think you are different from anyone else? I work 12 - 16 hour days at my shop. I have a fiance and a baby on the way. I have a house that I'm remodeling too. I don't have to know everyone, I simply have to know life.

What you simply fail to understand is what we went through to get this bell housing made. You think it's as simple as cutting it in 1/2 and welding it up. It's not. Don't you think that I attempted to get this thing done before Charles picked up the gauntlet? I drove the bell housings around to 5 different fabrication machine shops in my area and got turned down by all. I'm talking about big name shops w/ CNC equipment. No one wanted to take on the challenge because of how precise the work had to be. Finally Charles found a cat that not only knew exactly what we wanted to do, he ended up providing us with a much simpler and more elegant solution.

Are there secrets? Hell yeah. Why? Because I'm tired of getting beat to the punch for whatever reason. Who figured out exactly how to swap in a non MIVEC 3.8L? ME. PharmEcis. Greg Almeida. No one had the balls to even buy an engine until I did and figured out exactly what needed to be done. I made the mistake of posting this online and low and behold you saw my posts and purchased a motor. Since I was waiting on an upgraded clutch for my client, you actually ended up with a running car before me. HOWEVER, THE FOUNDER OF THE 3.8L SWAPS IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE ME. That also includes the 3.8L MIVEC engine. NO ONE DARED to purchase that motor UNTIL I did. I figured that swap out too. David came along and shut me up because he had an idea that worked out fantastic to be able to run it with the stock 3G ignition so the stock computer would work. Again, I was beat to a running car BECAUSE I TOOK THE INFORMATION I LEARNED AND POSTED IT ONLINE BEFORE I COMPLETED WHAT I STARTED.

So... Are there secrets? YOU ARE DAMN STRAIGHT THERE ARE SECRETS. However, have we put the majority of the meat and potatoes on the table? ABSOLUTELY. Anyone with the drive, motivation and MOST IMPORTANTLY THE POCKETS DEEP ENOUGH TO FUND THE PROJECT AS NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE STATES THIS CANNOT BE DONE ON THE CHEAP SALVAGING PARTS FROM THIS OR THAT, can build upon what Charles and I have outlined on this forum and then can attempt to figure out the small but oh so important items that we have left out from disclosing (our little secrets...).

Now, please get the fuck off my balls. All of you 3.8L guys are followers in one way or another of ME. EGO? Damn straight. Why? Because I know who I am and what I have done for this platform. I might be a royal asshole at times but it's because I got asshats like you questioning what I do or why I do it. Just sit back, relax, STFU and enjoy the ride. Charles and I sure are.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ALL HAIL greg, the mighty 3g god. We ask questions, and try to figure out other ways of doing things just to be told that we are asshats and followers. Who the fuck do you think you are? Ego? I wouldnt call that an ego, I'd call that jealousy issues or some other shit. If you want to claim you are the first for this, BUT, and first for that, BUT.....that's cool. Whatever helps you sleep at night sir.

Anyways, just for shits and giggles....

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
:facepalm: I thought I had excuses. :p
You know sometimes you 2 need someone like me to twist the knife a little to get you guys wound up and motivated. Take a chill pill. Now focus your frustration on your work.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
:facepalm: I thought I had excuses. :p
You know sometimes you 2 need someone like me to twist the knife a little to get you guys wound up and motivated. Take a chill pill. Now focus your frustration on your work.
Frustrations? Charles and I get royally good laughs out of this. No one needs any motivation. We are plenty motivated. However, things are a process and they must follow a certain path.

Seriously, no one on this end is getting wound up. After I posted my diatribe I told Charles that he had to go read me putting down the hammer. We had good laughs over coffee yesterday morning.

You guys seem to be the ones with your panties in a bunch. We know who we are and what we do. I work magic every day.

·
31,349 Posts
:agreed: Home work is key young one, like asking how to work a new radio before reading the manual.

·
Aple juic is my beer
8,831 Posts
alright i got a turbo kit off a vr4 but the turbo manifold wont fit do u know where i can get one?
:scratch:

This relates to AWD conversion? Who'da thunk it.

·
Noob here
29 Posts
lmao, um no comments?....Well he said its a custom universal tranferplate with brackets made for the mounts...Pretty awesome. lol thought there would be more joy for a 6g75m mounted to a awd 5speed.

301 - 320 of 345 Posts