Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, Thursday the car was running fine for the day - drove it for a while, but had stalled out a couple of times. Let it sit for a bit and was able to continue. Friday, one of the hose couplings (from turbo compressor to IC piping) worked itself loose but I was able to fix that. However, now I can't seem to get her going for long. What else can I check?

I checked my e-manage wiring and everything looks okay. Pulled #4 spark plug and it was covered in black carbon deposits, as if running rich. Suggestions? The plugs I am running are NGK Iridium BKR7EIX.

Tonight I am going to disconnect the battery and try to reset the ECU again and see what happens.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
hey man. when i pulled my plugs i noticed that my 4th cylinder plug was very black. please go get that thing dyno tuned asap. i was going to get mine done after i installed my new spring and now its to late. I also noticed when i was turning into a parking spot that my car wanted to shut off on me to and it did a few times.

·
Sebring 6G72
518 Posts
you need to be running BCPR7ES or BKR7ES

other than that you would have to check your sensors... do you have any codes?

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
the Iridiums # they have seem correct. However i wouldnt run an iridium plug on a new FI car until i know the thing is running properly cause they dont melt nearly as fast when temps get out of control as the ole trusty coppers do

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only codes so far have been P1400

Dont have my fuel pressure sensor installed yet.

AFR at idle is around 15-17 after warming up, goes to about 13ish when adding throttle. Have not taken it up to WOT yet.

I'll have to check the logs I recorded for what my fuel trims are - what should I be looking for?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'll have to pull the rest, but just wanted to pull #4 first as a sample. I'm going to check for boost leaks again to make sure nothing else worked itself loose.

I drove it around the block and here's the current symptoms:
Starts and idles fine. went around the block, barely touching the throttle. Slowly adding throttle up to spool the turbo (boost around 1-2psi), release throttle and can hear the BOV. Engine starts to stutter and dies right after. Attempted restarts fail to idle. I'm thinking boost leak somewhere.

I've been thinking about replaceing the worm drive hose clamps with t-bolt clamps that I hear the DSMers use.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
WanderingPinoy said:
I've been thinking about replaceing the worm drive hose clamps with t-bolt clamps that I hear the DSMers use.
That should not be necessary as the worm drive hose works fine as long as you use a 8mm socket wrench to tighten them down (not to the point you are skipping threads). Even if you use a flat head you will be fine since every pipe is bead rolled, I'm just custom to using 1/4" 8mm myself and tugging on every connection to insure a good fit.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: After the stalling and not being able to start, pushed her to a parking stall and let her sit for about an hour. Was able to get her started and idles okay, and drove her back home to the garage a few feet away. It seems consistent now that I can get her started, but when she goes into a bit of boost the stalling occurs. Wait a bit then she can run again. Ideas?

I am wondering if there is something I overlooked during the install, especially since no one else has touched the car but myself.

·
Got Boost? Me either
5,789 Posts
could the recirculating hose come loose? that could cause the stalling problems after boost.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TheFranchise said:
whats your idle vaccum?
17-18

Also pulled #2 and #6 plugs, and were also covered in black carbon, but don't appear damaged.

I ordered the Zex plugs to see if that will help my situation.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
WanderingPinoy said:
17-18

Also pulled #2 and #6 plugs, and were also covered in black carbon, but don't appear damaged.

I ordered the Zex plugs to see if that will help my situation.
plugs dont fix tuning problems; only mask them until they either wear or the motor does. if zex plugs where the holy grail of tuning, every race car would have em

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The whole end was basically covered in black carbon deposits.

And no, I don't expect the Zex plugs to magically fix my problem - I just wanted to try it with copper plugs that are also correctly gapped to begin with, so I might as well go with those as all the local auto stores of course don't carry the parts I need.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
WanderingPinoy said:
The whole end was basically covered in black carbon deposits.

And no, I don't expect the Zex plugs to magically fix my problem - I just wanted to try it with copper plugs that are also correctly gapped to begin with, so I might as well go with those as all the local auto stores of course don't carry the parts I need.
It's not unusual for the plug to be a little on the black side, but the porcelean is what really tells the tale. If it's white as a bleached sock, then that's a problem. If it's a nice golden brown, then it's spot on.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
Your problem sounds like there is a leak in your intake piping. When I used to blow off the pipe connecting to my TB back in the day, the car would run exactly as described. If I stayed out of boost it was fine, but it I tried to boost it the car bogged horribly and stalled.

Are you positive all the piping is secure?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts