Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't mean to beat a dead horse. I've done a search for Turbo kits. and found 1. which is $4,799. Just curious if that is like the only one, or if there are any around $2,500. or if I should wake up and face reality?

· Resident Asshole
5,952 Posts
jjohnston said:
Ok, I don't mean to beat a dead horse. I've done a search for Turbo kits. and found 1. which is $4,799. Just curious if that is like the only one, or if there are any around $2,500. or if I should wake up and face reality?
unfortunately there aren't many options when it comes to turbo'ing this car. the best option out there right now is the tearstone kit. it definantly isn't cheap but fi and cheap dont mix

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats the kit I looked at. It really looks like a nice Kit. I just don't have that kind of money. I need to finish my interior work first, then I can start the under the hood stuff. I was hoping to get both done this summer.

· Patriot Performance
3,358 Posts
jjohnston said:
Yeah, thats the kit I looked at. It really looks like a nice Kit. I just don't have that kind of money. I need to finish my interior work first, then I can start the under the hood stuff. I was hoping to get both done this summer.
If you don't have the money for even the kit, do yourself a favor and save for it. Don't try to rush it, spend the money to build an engine with the supporting modification for FI. Do it once, do it right, and enjoy it. Don't try to go the cheap route you will only end up spending more than you would have if it was done the expensive way the first time ;)

· Frank
3,893 Posts
Remember to factor in maintenance and such involved with a turbo kit, like worn out clutches for example. Also, you might want to look into an LSD, which is going to run about a grand. Motor mounts will also be a must, which are like $200 for all four from Deyeme Racing.

It's obviously going to be a big committment of time and money, but it definitely will be worth it. And if you're going FI, I would highly reccommend the Tearstone Kit

· Patriot Performance
3,358 Posts
Regulator said:
Remember to factor in maintenance and such involved with a turbo kit, like worn out clutches for example. Also, you might want to look into an LSD, which is going to run about a grand. Motor mounts will also be a must, which are like $200 for all four from Deyeme Racing.
Yes, This is what I mean by supporting modifications. You can't expect to double the output of an engine and stay with the stock motor mounts, clutch or non LSD transmission. Upgrade these items while you have things apart. Otherwise you will find yourself tearin into your engine to fix these and having to deal with the extra time of the turbo kit in the way. When you have to pay a shop to do things like that, the price goes up at a fast pace.

· Kampfbereit
17,633 Posts
Stratus_R/T said:
Yes, This is what I mean by supporting modifications. You can't expect to double the output of an engine and stay with the stock motor mounts, clutch or non LSD transmission. Upgrade these items while you have things apart. Otherwise you will find yourself tearin into your engine to fix these and having to deal with the extra time of the turbo kit in the way. When you have to pay a shop to do things like that, the price goes up at a fast pace.
With this car, you can't expect the stock mounts to hold up to stock power. This past weekend I had a guy come over and every single one of his mounts was severely busted and falling out of the core, and his car is bone stock except for an intake.

· Patriot Performance
3,358 Posts
Tearstone said:
With this car, you can't expect the stock mounts to hold up to stock power. This past weekend I had a guy come over and every single one of his mounts was severely busted and falling out of the core, and his car is bone stock except for an intake.
I have no idea how some guys seem to tear out thier stock mounts so often. I'm pretty hard on my car, but at 50,000 the stock mounts are in great shape. I really seem to think some guys just beat the shit out of thier car and then think its the cars fault. I guess I'm just too nice to my car :p

· Kampfbereit
17,633 Posts
Stratus_R/T said:
I have no idea how some guys seem to tear out thier stock mounts so often. I'm pretty hard on my car, but at 50,000 the stock mounts are in great shape. I really seem to think some guys just beat the shit out of thier car and then think its the cars fault. I guess I'm just too nice to my car :p
Could be! On Rulez car, his front motor mount was in the shape of an oval when we took it out a few years ago when we were N/A. Then when we changed out his clutch he already tore his solid rear motor mount. :eek:

Have you taken the springs off your car yet? They are like twice the height of 3G springs. Insanity I tell you! You can't even use those cheapy spring compressors on them because you run out of thread when trying to undo them.

· Zed oh six
6,209 Posts
Tearstone said:
Could be! On Rulez car, his front motor mount was in the shape of an oval when we took it out a few years ago when we were N/A. Then when we changed out his clutch he already tore his solid rear motor mount. :eek:
Thats because I had a torque beast even in NA form :lol:

But yeah, I dont know how I tore up that rear solid mount.

· Patriot Performance
3,358 Posts
Tearstone said:

Have you taken the springs off your car yet? They are like twice the height of 3G springs. Insanity I tell you! You can't even use those cheapy spring compressors on them because you run out of thread when trying to undo them.
Yeah when you change over to a stiffer slutch your going to be much harder on the mounts. I'm still running a stock clutch however, even with a 75 shot for the past year. I can't seem to break anything. I wanna build an engine but I gota break the old one first :yesway: .

Oh yeah I have changed my springs. We did a complete TEIN SS-P suspension, urethane bushings, ST sway bar. Also my own custom adjustable endlinks that I will hopefully have out here soon to sell. They are stainless steel ;) beats the shit outa the stock ones. There are a few pics of my car floating around here somewhere Russ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.