Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3G 03 Eclipse GT and I have a set of 05 GTS CAMS from a 3g, just wondering, if I were to switch out the GT cams for the GTS CAMS, do I have to tune it And IF SO please explain why ?!?!?!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Because a cam changes the way an engine runs?

I believe GT cams are more aggressive than GTS though. Anyone that knows the specs off-hand can clarify. I noticed gains when using GT cams in a GTS engine but not GTS cams in a GT engine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Because a cam changes the way an engine runs?

I believe GT cams are more aggressive than GTS though. Anyone that knows the specs off-hand can clarify. I noticed gains when using GT cams in a GTS engine but not GTS cams in a GT engine.
The GTS has a bit more duration on the exhaust(4* more, 248 vs 252) but the intake have the same duration but different opening and closing. This allows for slightly broader power range: a little more torque in the beginning and push the peak HP back a little. Seems to work best with a GTS IM or Diamante IM & higher compression. Valve lift is the same for both cams

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting information, I read on a post that the GTS cams are actually a tad bit aggressive than the GT cams..! What do you mean push peak hp ? And if I were to experiment with this what would I need to tune ? The timing ? Or what ? I appreciate you guys feed back I might look into the 75 mivec swap, I don't like turbos my pops always told me if it doesn't come turbo don't turbo it, you run into issues later, lol he's old school...7/10 true tho 😂

·
Registered
504 Posts
A tune is always beneficial...peak HP stock GTS vs GT is about 250rpm difference(5500 for GT vs 5750 for GTS). Actually the Ralliart Magna and 380 cams are the most aggressive stock cams for the non-MIVEC 6g7x SOHC, Unfortunately they are too expensive to ship.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,982 Posts
When I finally refreshed the performance engine I bought from Pharmacies, it came equipped with GT heads/cams. I then had to rebuild that engine, so I brought in my GTS heads and asked the engine builder to compare the cams. He said the GTS cams would be better for my application. I wish I asked him to elaborate more, but that’s what he told me.

As mentioned in the other posts, the differences are fairly minor.... but the GTS cams were also designed for the higher compression and the variable induction. By just slapping those into your GT engine with a non-variable induction etc., you are likely to lose power. Tuning will be necessary to compensate. If you’ve looked at GT versus GTS fuel maps and ignition maps, you can see the differences between those stock tunes. Your cams are a huge variable in the calculus of those maps. And that’s why you’ve got to get a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
504 Posts
Usually mod for mod the GTS engine will make about 10hp more than the GT, it's the higher compression that makes a difference.

·
Here for the drama
151 Posts
Here’s some ancient info for you to spend some time on reading to understand what you’re trying to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts