Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2003 mitsubishi eclipse GTS which i have been deciding what to do with i kind of want to swap the engine to a GT engine and run a boosted build following this video:
would an engne swap from the GTS V6 to the GT V6 be possible to then follow the build in this video?

·
USN
1,043 Posts
Could you? Sure. Should you? Not really. The 3.0L isn't the best option. My understanding is the GT/GTS share the same engine block, but there are a few differences to push out a few more horse power. Swapping is the better way to go, but you want the 3.5L or better, 3.8L, to go in it. Either way, it will take quite a bit of work and money to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
these post kind of hurt my head... its the same motor with slightly different set up. kinda like a Iphone 12 vs an Iphone 13 lol its the same... but different. But if you are doing a motor swap to do a boost build you might as well drop in a better motor.. a 3.5 or 3.8 will do better.

what are your power goals for the car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
these post kind of hurt my head... its the same motor with slightly different set up. kinda like a Iphone 12 vs an Iphone 13 lol its the same... but different. But if you are doing a motor swap to do a boost build you might as well drop in a better motor.. a 3.5 or 3.8 will do better.

what are your power goals for the car
interesting.. sorry if the post seems annoying im still learning and have a LONG way to go as far as learning more about cars and i just wanted to push out as much horse power into the car as i could without blowing it up

·
Registered
776 Posts
So I watched at least more than half of that video. I would suggest you follow the other guys advice about just swapping the engine. What that guy did is a buttload of work and is on the bleeding edge of failing most times. The ECU is usually where you get screwed most of the time when it comes to putting a turbo on the V-6, at least that's how it was back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
The best way to go would be the 3.8 that already has the most power then add the turbo...Keep in mind that you will also need the wiring harness and the ECU from the donor car. There are a few write-ups on this project and from what I read I do not envy you at all. This is a big project... Best of luck.....

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
The best way to go would be the 3.8 that already has the most power then add the turbo...Keep in mind that you will also need the wiring harness and the ECU from the donor car. There are a few write-ups on this project and from what I read I do not envy you at all. This is a big project... Best of luck.....
you do not need a wire harness nor ECU, the wiring and ECU in the 3g stays...

the 3.8 is pretty much a drop in motor. its getting it up and running is where you need to change out parts and get the ECU in the car tuned

Reactions: Widgmaster

·
Registered
2003 Eclipse GT 5 Speed
2 Posts
I bought a 2003 mitsubishi eclipse GTS which i have been deciding what to do with i kind of want to swap the engine to a GT engine and run a boosted build following this video:
would an engne swap from the GTS V6 to the GT V6 be possible to then follow the build in this video?
Yes, it is indeed possible but why would you want to swap out a 3.0L for a slightly different 3.0L when you can do a 3.5L swap and get an extra amount of power and the fact it will literally drop right in because its been literally designed the same as the 3.0L to where everything is plug n' play? Seriously, I'd look into 6G74 swapping your car as it's also easier than swapping in a 6G75 MIVEC and you can find more of them for cheaper price at that at your local junkyard through Carpart since the 3.8L is a hot ticket swap right now considering everyone wants to swap one in now on their cars for how good they are. You may not have as much power from the jump with the 6G74 3.5L versus the 6G75 MIVEC yeah, but for something you don't need an adapter plate for among other things and it doesn't require extra stuff to fit should be a good start for someone who is new to this stuff if you ask me!

There is also a swap video for how to do it but you may need to slow it down and really take note if you're serious about something like that!

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
835 Posts
Thank you for correcting my statement ...I thought I read somewhere that a harness and ECU were needed...
you do not need a wire harness nor ECU, the wiring and ECU in the 3g stays...

the 3.8 is pretty much a drop in motor. its getting it up and running is where you need to change out parts and get the ECU in the car tuned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts