Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing some winter planning, one of the changes I plan to make is a new installation of guages for various readouts. I plan to go with the Autometer Cobalt Series Guages (doing the whole blue light inside thing). But wanted to get some feed back on some guage choices that are deemed msot important.

The plan is to replace the 2 guage pod with a 3 guage pod (A-Piller) and get a Clock pod 3 guage holder (seems impossible to find).

I was thinking going with all electric guages, rather than mechanical. For safety and easier installations.

A-Piller

Boost / Vacuum
AEM UEGO WideBand
Pyrometer (either) 0-1600 or 0-2000

Clock Pod

Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
AND either or Oil Temp or (once new fuel cell and system go in Fuel Level)

Now which EGT do you think will be need the 0-1600F or the 0-2000F ?

Do you think any of these guages are not needed?

Which other guages I should get?

Note: Volts are displayed on the Greddy Turbo Timer already & Water temp is show from already installed stock guage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like you got a good plan. You pretty much named off every important guage. I dont know which EGT guage to get because I havent gotten one myself yet. If you do find a clock pod guage holder, let us know. I been looking too. But if you cant, might just have to do something custom, thats what I might end up doing.

·
Vortech > VTEC
1,450 Posts
I have 3 gauges in an A pillar.

Oil pressure
Boost
AEM wideband.

At the moment, that seems like plenty.

My fuel pressure is under the hood, therefore not needed inside. With a wideband, I don't see a need for EGT. Don't see a need for oil temp either. No need to spend the money or waste the time doing it.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
If you have a fully pressurized setup (non electronic) I think you should have a in cabin electronic fuel gauge.

If you ever rebuild your engine, it's good to have a oil pressure gauge in a place that does not have to be visible for a little insurance.

Oil temp is important for racing.

Water temp is important for racing your car and is more useful with the Eclipse due to it's front bumper design.

Boost, definitely.

Wideband, without a doubt the best method of measuring your Air/Fuel mix, not those crap A/F blinky light gauges that tap into your narrowband sensors.

Exhaust Gas Temp, comes in handy if you tune your own car and are pushing it to the limits.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tearstone said:
The only gauges I use are EGT and boost.

Have you purchased your Autometers yet?
Not yet, I'm still doing research I don't want to rush into much. Didn't purchase anything yet, I'm still first looking for a clock pod guage holder.

I have a Fuel Pressure Guage inside the engine bay, however it would be nice to have it insdie the car to monitor all the vitals.

I was thinking of getting water temp and oil temp and just maybe putting them in the vents. (maybe the two front center ones)

It would be nice to get a Zetronix ZT-2 since it monitors like 4-5 of those guages, but it dosen't work with the Emanage Ultiamte :( maybe the DSM guys will come out wit ha revision before the spring, that will allow with to work wit hteh Emanage.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
I am running a boost, UEGO, and EGT in the pillar then i run my 2 "save my ass" guages of fuel pressure and oil pressure tucked away in the bottom of the center console.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Any idea which EGT sensor to go with?

0-1600F or 0-2000F?
since i wouldnt push it past 1500 anyway i the 1600 would be fine if there is a price difference. i run the greddy egt and its in gay Centigrade but has a good range upto 2000ish F

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheFranchise said:
I am running a boost, UEGO, and EGT in the pillar then i run my 2 "save my ass" guages of fuel pressure and oil pressure tucked away in the bottom of the center console.
Yeah I'm figuring those save my ass guages will be important later down the line. I'm really skeptical of having the SES light go on to tell me my problems, if they should happen.

I wonder if Autometer or any company makes a holder that fits in the DIN space, just above/below a cd player. That way I won't have to destroy the vents.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
u can fit 2 52mm guages in the space at the bottom of the center console so u dont have to rice out your air vents if you want a clean install. i'll post some pics in a sec of mine

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheFranchise said:
u can fit 2 52mm guages in the space at the bottom of the center console so u dont have to rice out your air vents if you want a clean install. i'll post some pics in a sec of mine
Awesome, :twothumb:

If something maybe I could install two mounting cup holders for the other guages. Around the sterring wheel area maybe.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
It would be nice to get a Zetronix ZT-2 since it monitors like 4-5 of those guages, but it dosen't work with the Emanage Ultiamte :( maybe the DSM guys will come out wit ha revision before the spring, that will allow with to work wit hteh Emanage.
The Zeitronix definitely nice. But on that note about the Ultimate, I think the Ultimate simply wants to use just a sensor itself, not get piped through another unit then to the sensor.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tearstone said:
The Zeitronix definitely nice. But on that note about the Ultimate, I think the Ultimate simply wants to use just a sensor itself, not get piped through another unit then to the sensor.
I think you are right on that. But no one has ever tested it. They always pipe the info from the ZT-2 read out to the Emanage Ultimate. If you a wire straight from the sensor itself or tapping that sensor wire from the O2 then running it straight to the Emanage Ultiamte, I bet that would work for sure.

Since the AEM UEGO and ZT-2 both use a Bosch O2 WB sensor, yet the Ultiamte works with the AEM, but not the ZT-2.

I want someone to try this out, yet no one has yet. It would be easier than getting 7-8 guages for sure.

I would have Boost, Lamda, EGT, TPS, A/F right there. Then, get Oil Pressure & Temp and get Fuel Pressure and mount them on the A-Piller.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Do you have the two in the cubby hole mounted in guage holders?
nope. no need. use a 18" black zip tie, tap 2 holes in the console and loop the tie thru the holes, around the guage, snug it and its completly seemless.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts