Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, my apologies Sam, you have such strict rules about where to post thrown all over the place, that yes on my very first one I got it wrong. I'm sure you'll find the decency in you to forgive me...

I know there are a lot of threads discussing how dim halos on projector headlights are, and if I missed something let me know, but i've been really trying hard to figure out a solution, and I had this idea:
on ebay, they sell led strip lights, a chain of led's. Is it in any way possible to stick that strip inside behind the halo reflector, so meaning into the hole where the bulb should go, and push it all the way around, so behind the reflector there is a whole chain of led's rather than just the typical 4 bulbs?

if that is crazy, can someone let me know if buying the cheapest regular led lightbulbs ( they emit 3 lumens at superbrightled) will be brighter than putting in incandesent clear ones? or would I use the smd led's that emit 20 or so lumens to see any difference?

thanks

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
There is a company in the vendor section who specifically redesign the inside housing of any projector light you purchase. The options are endless - so to ask whether or not you can do it really is only a test of your own skill level. So if you have never done it before, then it will be a instant learning curve and you should obviously test on a spare set of lights and not ones directly off your car.

If you don't feel you have the tools, equipment, patience, technical know-how or anything else, then pay someone to do it for you. But to ask whether or not something can be done cosmetically to a part is a ridiculous question, and doesn't matter if you're a n00b to this messageboard or to the car, its pretty much a n00b question to life itself.

Best of luck.

·
Head Swap Baby!!!
454 Posts
just to follow up what hijacker said the company is called cin city and they do have endless options but they do charge alot (or atleast more than I am willing to pay for a street car) but they were very willing to talk to you so look up their site and start chating with them.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
That's erroneous. Everything is relative when it comes to custom automotive work. It's really off-putting to see phrases like that. Nic and crew did my headlights and for what they did to them; I thought it was reasonably priced.
:agreed: They have been nothing but professional with me and have really worked with me on all aspects. Not only that, but it's quality work.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
just to follow up what hijacker said the company is called cin city and they do have endless options but they do charge alot (or atleast more than I am willing to pay for a street car) but they were very willing to talk to you so look up their site and start chating with them.
That's erroneous. Everything is relative when it comes to custom automotive work. It's really off-putting to see phrases like that. Nic and crew did my headlights and for what they did to them; I thought it was reasonably priced.
I agree (and of course I would). True custom work to be unique and have a one of a kind item, will cost significantly more than a mass produced item, since now we're talking about direct labor costs. Figure 6hrs of labor at $80/hr, is $480, + the cost of the base housing + costs of misc. parts and shipping, I would assume a WILD guess that custom headlights for the 3G would be in the tune of $750-$900.

Compared to a $200 set of COTS (commercial off the shelf) headlights, that's a significant difference. But if you compare the custom price to a true set of projector headlights from OEM on another vehicle, you're on par - or probably still under cost.

Price is relevant to WTF someone wants.

·
Head Swap Baby!!!
454 Posts
thats why i said or atleast more than i was willing to pay for a street car. I have no qualms with the quality or awsomeness of the work, i think they would be awsome for a show car, but i didn't have the kind of money they charged to spare on headlights. If i did, I definately would have got a pair. They were asking like 600 to paint the housings so i have no idea what the other stuff would cost

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
thats why i said or atleast more than i was willing to pay for a street car. I have no qualms with the quality or awsomeness of the work, i think they would be awsome for a show car, but i didn't have the kind of money they charged to spare on headlights. If i did, I definately would have got a pair. They were asking like 600 to paint the housings so i have no idea what the other stuff would cost
You do realize that almost everyone pays a different price in relation to what they had done. It's almost an injustice to state how much your particular quote was because everything is different. You know? You are throwing your personal experience as a blanket statement to us with relation to your feelings about cost; which doesn't work here. If we were talking about hopping on Flea Bay and snapping up some brake lights, sure, but we aren't.

·
Head Swap Baby!!!
454 Posts
You do realize that almost everyone pays a different price in relation to what they had done. It's almost an injustice to state how much your particular quote was because everything is different. You know? You are throwing your personal experience as a blanket statement to us with relation to your feelings about cost; which doesn't work here. If we were talking about hopping on Flea Bay and snapping up some brake lights, sure, but we aren't.
I guess i will never learn, once Sam has spoken, you can't redeem yourself no matter how hard you try:) the only reason i brought up $600 for painting housings is cause Nic told me that was the least expensive work they offered and I assume that price would be fairly similar for all 3g headlights. but then again, why am i explaining my self just to get blasted again.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I remember Cin city tried to sell a pair of kickass looking 3G headlights here for $450 or so, and everyone started complaining "That's so expensive!" :rant: Pathetic. Custom made headlights for only 2x the price of headlights being produced in Taiwan at the rate of 3 units/minute :noplease:

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
I guess i will never learn, once Sam has spoken, you can't redeem yourself no matter how hard you try:) the only reason i brought up $600 for painting housings is cause Nic told me that was the least expensive work they offered and I assume that price would be fairly similar for all 3g headlights. but then again, why am i explaining my self just to get blasted again.
"Assume" is the key word.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. Yeah I guess I was just wondering if I could do it myself since I've only started to work on the car and I really enjoy it, the process as much as the finished product, so I will take the advice and not try disassembling the headlights I've got, maybe try some less invasive options.

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts