Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the last one of them. :woot:
Let me know how it works for you. As far as I know It looks like it works pretty good on those rotary engines.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Let me know how it works for you. As far as I know It looks like it works pretty good on those rotary engines.
Well all it does it retards a certain amount of degrees when the sensor reads knock, looks like a simple hook up and control. We will see how it goes.

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, After talking to a couple of tuning professionals. I decided not to install knock control in my car. I was told that high HP engines or fully modified engines (forged internals,etc) are too noisy specially at higher rpms and the knock sensor will be giving false readings. The shop working on my car has a 10sec civic hatch using a AEM EMS and the guys had to turn off the knock control because it was giving them false readings.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Yeah, After talking to a couple of tuning professionals. I decided not to install knock control in my car. I was told that high HP engines or fully modified engines (forged internals,etc) are too noisy specially at higher rpms and the knock sensor will be giving false readings. The shop working on my car has a 10sec civic hatch using a AEM EMS and the guys had to turn off the knock control because it was giving them false readings.
I doubt it would give false readings really in our cars. Our cars aren't high horsepower nor do they produce massive amounts of distortion. I think having some knock control would be benefical, not needed. But good to protect your motor from more damage.

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They told me that knock control works good on stock engines. Once you have a modified engine with forge internals, the noise freq. changes and the knock control won't be as accurate. Your car has around 450whp and I'm hoping to be in the 500's. I know that these are not really high HP numbers but my buddies 540whp civic had problems like this . As long as you have a good tune and you don't put cheap gas in your car you should be fine.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I guess we shall see how it works. I doubt there will be problems as long as you use good shielded wiring from the sensor itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts