Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
974 Posts
I would feel comfortable towing up to 1000lbs with pretty much any car. The eclipse is like 3300lbs so that is less than a third the weight of the car. I know a guy that pulls a motorcycle with a honda fit and those things are much lighter than an eclipse.

That said, I would decrease my speeds and lengthen my following distances to account for the substantially longer stopping distance that comes with towing. I would also make sure to wire up a proper connector for trailer lights and to get a proper height hitch adapter to level out the trailer. Tongue weight will be important. The height of the hitch and the proper loading of the trailer is important to make sure you don't put too much or too little weight on the car while driving. Proper static tongue weight is important to reduce trailer sway that can cause you to lose control. Proper weight transfer during braking is especially important too.

Now, launching might be an issue on steeper launches. Because the car is FWD, I wouldn't launch on steep or dirty launches. You might be able to get the jet ski in, but if the ramp is too steep or slippery, you might not get it back out.

I'd also feel much more comfortable towing with a V6 with a manual transmission. Compression braking is very useful for controlling speed down hills. An automatic would worry me because I'm not sure how much abuse it'll take under the extra load. The extra torque and power of the V6 would help going up hills. Also, the four-wheel disk brakes would be extra piece of mind.

I wouldn't tow with a car that's been lowered and I would do a complete and thorough inspection of the brakes and suspension before towing. All suspension components need to be tight and within serviceable limits. No loose bushings or joints. Make sure the alignment is good.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,972 Posts
I'm going to add that 3G was not designed for towing. As buddd said you might get away with it because the general light weight of the Jet ski and it's trailer. However, you have to really put some thought into where are you going to attach the hitch. You won't be able to do a chassis style hitch because the muffler is in the way. Ultimately that means you need to go to the frame of the bumper. And you are going to have to reinforce said bumper. I hope the boat launch is in your neighborhood. For your safety and for the safety of those that drive behind you, you cannot get up to highway speeds. Your trailer hitch attachment needs to be done right!

·
974 Posts
I think curt makes one that attaches to multiple spots on the body, including the bumper mounts. Their car hitches usually have about six fastening points spread pretty widely. You'll have to drill holes, but I'd rather that and have it feel solid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a hitch for mine years ago. It is still new in the box in my garage. Let me know if you want it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm going to add that 3G was not designed for towing. As buddd said you might get away with it because the general light weight of the Jet ski and it's trailer. However, you have to really put some thought into where are you going to attach the hitch. You won't be able to do a chassis style hitch because the muffler is in the way. Ultimately that means you need to go to the frame of the bumper. And you are going to have to reinforce said bumper. I hope the boat launch is in your neighborhood. For your safety and for the safety of those that drive behind you, you cannot get up to highway speeds. Your trailer hitch attachment needs to be done right!
Good thing you mentioned it. Going to work on buddy's 3G after we finished installing the brake kit and tis wheels on his current Jeep project. He plans to haul his ATV with it and the trailer he got seems a little bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts