Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lurker
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've searched like all five pages regarding motor mounts, but none go into how to remove the tranny mount. I've gotten passed taking off the four bolts and studs and the one going through the insert itself. But I cannot remove the mount from the car.

Do I have to drop the subframe or am I missing something else here?

It is for an '03 GT.

·
Registered
665 Posts
You can drop the tranny but I found it easier to pull the studs out of the mount. With the tranny supported, loosen all four nuts. Take one nut off. Take this nut and put it on one of the other studs. Tighten the two nuts together using two wrenches. With the lower nut, you can remove the entire stud. Once the stud is out, use the two wrenches again to remove the nut and repeat the process for the other three nuts.
If this is too confusing, check out deyeme racings website. I got the instructions from them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
So I've searched like all five pages regarding motor mounts, but none go into how to remove the tranny mount. I've gotten passed taking off the four bolts and studs and the one going through the insert itself. But I cannot remove the mount from the car.

Do I have to drop the subframe or am I missing something else here?

It is for an '03 GT.
I don't know if it is the same for the v6 as the 4 cyl.

I had to jack up the front of the car. Then use another jack to support the tranny. After the tranny is supported then I took the center bolt off of the front and the back motor mounts. Then you have to lower the jack that is supporting the tranny until you can get the mount out.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
You can drop the tranny but I found it easier to pull the studs out of the mount. With the tranny supported, loosen all four nuts. Take one nut off. Take this nut and put it on one of the other studs. Tighten the two nuts together using two wrenches. With the lower nut, you can remove the entire stud. Once the stud is out, use the two wrenches again to remove the nut and repeat the process for the other three nuts.
If this is too confusing, check out deyeme racings website. I got the instructions from them.
:agreed: that's how mine worked.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not really removing the studs, but the clearance between the frame and the tranny not allowing you to slide the mount out.

However, after an hour of toying around and looking at how to create a gap, we decided to just unbolt the center member.

We jacked the car up and supported it with stands. Then right in the center of the center member, placed the jack to support the engine (it already has a plastic platform on it so we did not have to use wood blocks to level it or anything). I unbolted the rear two bolts on the center member, then the front ones but did not take them off. After this was done, we just lowered the jack, dropping the tranny and engine enough to create a clearing and slide the mount out.

Was not too hard so I apologize about making a thread about it, haha.

The only bitch again, was to get the insert out with a chisel and hammer since the machine shop was closed by the time we removed the mount.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts