Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant level is good. My 2002 V6 Eclipse Auto with 130k miles on it is leaking oil badly. Going to have my brother change the oil pan gasket because I know that is leaking. Mechanic said I had an oil pan gasket leak, a valve cover gasket leak and a head gasket leak.

If there is a head gasket leak, shouldn't the oil not be only black, Should there be white smoke coming out of the tail pipe or having refill my coolant?

The second step was to replace the valve cover gasket and retorque the head gasket bolts in case they're a little loose and causing a leak. Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The majority of my leaks have actually just come from the drain plug washer getting worn out. So always replace that every few oil changes. I've had a mechanic misdiagnose my head gasket as leaking before. I would try the easier fixes first and see where you're at with the oil leak.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil pan gasket is replaced along with the plug and plug gasket. Still leaking, but I believe not as bad. It was noticed the valve cover bolts were not tight, at least a couple of them. But next seals to be replaced will be the valve cover ones. If it's still leaking good after that, then I guess I will get the head gasket replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the leak is still pretty big. My suspicion is maybe a crack in the engine block. I might just have to buy an used car.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Clean the leaking area down really good and track down the leak before you go out an buy a whole other car. Get in there with some degreaser and hot water and get it clean. Then drive around a bit and check to see where the oil is coming from. My first guess would be valve cover gaskets if they haven't been changed. They harden and leak oil. Jumping immediately to a head gasket or a cracked block is getting way ahead of yourself.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm taking it to another mechanic that is really good and has good rates. I will see what their analysis is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Having someone fix it for you is going to cost much more money than is worth throwing at an 18 year old mitsubishi. Seems like a great opportunity to learn how to work on it yourself. Maybe your brother can help you since he seems to know at least a little about working on cars. Valve cover gaskets aren't difficult, just time consuming and labor time is what makes paying for repairs so expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts