Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely stock, 03 Eclipse Spyder gts with the infinity sound system with the amp under the passenger seat and all that good shit. I wanna upgrade my head unit to possibly a touch screen with Android auto. Or at the very least. Bluetooth connectivity... I'm not very good with audio systems. But I can't afford to pay a professional. I've done a head unit install before in a different car. But I don't know how different it's gonna be with the factory amp and what not... So are there any special components or a certain type of head unit I should buy... Are there any tips anyone can give me? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Best thing you can do is get rid of the factory amp on the floor. Even a cheap, modern head unit will have a superior internal amplifier. There's an amp bypass harness you can get on eBay for cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metra-Car-Radio-Stereo-Amp-Bypass-Wiring-Harness-for-1992-2005-Dodge-Mitsubishi/401307392085?epid=1622228237&hash=item5d6fc8d855:g:q2MAAOSwsptb7c9X

The harness simply extends the wiring at the amplifier plug so you can pull the shitty stock amp and run the wires up to a regular head unit. It's very straight forward.

·
Registered
669 Posts
You can also get an inexpensive (<$190), compact 4-channel amp and go even better than any head unit. Most are about 45W RMS as opposed to half that from a head unit. I think Alpine makes an affordable one that would probably fit in the stock location (with different mounting holes). Run whatever extra wires you need and enjoy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought if you change amps though, you would lose the center channel speaker though. The only thing I've ever done to my set-up is add that infinity sub to the trunk and change the center channel speaker when the old one went bad. It's been a long time since I've read stuff about audio for our cars though. I do know that that metra part was important for changing the head unit though.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Meh. Plenty of cars don't have a center channel and they sound great. If it's between a sweeter amp and keeping the center channel, I'd get rid of the center channel. Agreed that a more fortified bass end would make a big difference though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts