Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having these headers installed and the shop called and told me there is no use for a high flow catalytic converter which I bought. That my Eclipse (GT 2002) has 3 pre-cats I believe he said and the headers get rid of all of them and that I'm going to get this check engine warning light etc. There is something not right here. Doesn't the hight flow cat I bought take care of this warning light?? What am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
you must have a section of the downpipe cut and then have your new cat welded on. then the shop is also going to have to relocate 2 of the downstrem o2 bungs behind the cat.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm having these headers installed and the shop called and told me there is no use for a high flow catalytic converter which I bought. That my Eclipse (GT 2002) has 3 pre-cats I believe he said and the headers get rid of all of them and that I'm going to get this check engine warning light etc. There is something not right here. Doesn't the hight flow cat I bought take care of this warning light?? What am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Just throw them on and take the bulb out for the check engine light.:lol: Atleast thats what I did.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, but what if I had a problem with the car? I would never know because the light is out. It's an option though so thanks. I get the feeling that most people have gotten o2 simulators or done the fouler trick.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
you must have a section of the downpipe cut and then have your new cat welded on. then the shop is also going to have to relocate 2 of the downstrem o2 bungs behind the cat.
This would be the right way to do it.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
which headers are these by the way?
I am wondering the same thing. I have the RPW shorties and had enough dead space to add a Cat. In order not to throw codes you either have to:

A. Cut a section past the collecter and install your cat, then install the 2 o2 sensors that were downstream of your precats behind the new main cat

or

B. Get an o2 simulator or fouler and hope that you dont throw a code.

These are the 2 options that would help eliminate the SES light coming on.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
:scratch: What kind of headers require welding in order to avoid SES :eek: That seems rather weak. I just bought $10 worth of spark plug antifoulers and I havent had any hader related SES codes since. I am using the RIPP 2005 models. I would NEVER remove the SES light bulb :nono:, especially if the anitfouler trick worked for you. Its a joke to install them. Take 10mins max under the car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The CEL is the last of my worries. Now I'm told that one of the headers will not even fit! Is this even possible? I bought them from CMF specifically for the eclipse v6 and Chase at CMF doesn't answer the phone. I don't need CMF bashing but just want to know what the hell is going on here. This is a friggin nightmare.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
:scratch: What kind of headers require welding in order to avoid SES :eek: That seems rather weak. I just bought $10 worth of spark plug antifoulers and I havent had any hader related SES codes since. I am using the RIPP 2005 models. I would NEVER remove the SES light bulb :nono:, especially if the anitfouler trick worked for you. Its a joke to install them. Take 10mins max under the car.
its been 3 1/2 years without the bulb at this point who cares.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shop said there was no provision for the egr system. That dongle on one of the headers is just completely missing.

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
there should be a egr adapter on one of the headers. that one goes on bank 1(rear bank). unless they're one of the previous sets made that dont acomodate the egr system, they should fit

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
definately no EGR dongle or whatever. Was told that I could "blank it off". Not sure exactly what that entails but hopefully it won't make the car go gagga? I don't know....

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
its been 3 1/2 years without the bulb at this point who cares.
Those of us worried about the health of our engines? :dunno: Personally, I don't like to just "throw parts on" and drive but thats just me.

definately no EGR dongle or whatever. Was told that I could "blank it off". Not sure exactly what that entails but hopefully it won't make the car go gagga? I don't know....
I think that involves blocking off the EGR outlet using a small metal plate. I recall hearing of a couple other guys here who did that. I dont think that is the ideal method but IIRC they said it was easy and cheap to do.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Go to your local auto parts store such as Murrays or Autozone and pick up a sheet of sheet metal, its cheap. Take off your EGR pipe and trace the flange onto the sheet metal with a permanent marker. Then cut out the sheet metal and just bolt it up to block it off. I would recommend using 2 cut outs so you have 2 layers of sheet metal just incase the first one ever gets damaged you have the second layer for backup.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Absofuckinglutely NOT!

DO NOT BLOCK OFF YOUR EGR PORT. It will trigger a code. Take your EGR tube and cut it and put a BREATHER FILTER over it. Leave the EGR port on the back of the manifold UNBLOCKED!

This car is NOT a DSM and it EXPECTS to see some vacuum variations when the EGR valve is opened. If it does not, it will pop codes all day long. Not having EGR hooked up to the manifold is fine, just put the breather on it and call it a day.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
DO NOT BLOCK OFF YOUR EGR PORT. It will trigger a code. Take your EGR tube and cut it and put a BREATHER FILTER over it.
This is what I did. No codes. No known issues.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Absofuckinglutely NOT!

DO NOT BLOCK OFF YOUR EGR PORT. It will trigger a code. Take your EGR tube and cut it and put a BREATHER FILTER over it. Leave the EGR port on the back of the manifold UNBLOCKED!

This car is NOT a DSM and it EXPECTS to see some vacuum variations when the EGR valve is opened. If it does not, it will pop codes all day long. Not having EGR hooked up to the manifold is fine, just put the breather on it and call it a day.
Yea that would be the right way to do it, I gotta stop mixing up my cars. :happysad:

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Those of us worried about the health of our engines? :dunno: Personally, I don't like to just "throw parts on" and drive but thats just me..
I see what your saying but I only have a downpipe, cat-back, and a CAI. I have alot of miles so I gues thats why personally im saying who cares. Dont get me wrong I take care of my motor as good as the next guy. All im saying if something major is going to happen its going to happen before your little light comes on.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts