Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Eclipse GT with HID headlights installed. I am noticing a strange issue with the headlights that I cannot seem to figure out (I am not very experienced with cars in general to be fair). When I have my low beams on, it is clear that my right headlight is much brighter than my left. However, when I have my high beams on, the left headlight is noticeably brighter than the right. It is almost to the point where it seems as if the right headlight is not even on when I have the high beams on. I have searched around but I have no idea how to word this issue without typing a paragraph as I have here. The high beams are not as big of an issue, but I am having difficulty seeing at times with the left headlight being so dim when I am using my low beams. I would appreciate some suggestions but please keep in mind that my knowledge in this area is relatively limited. Thank you in advanced.

·
6,548 Posts
Need pictures of what you've done, in what headlights. Esp. of how you wired your ballasts to get power. Wrong section, by the way. A mod will move it for you, so don't worry.

:coffee:

·
54,338 Posts
Sounds like a power or ground issue, likely stemming from burned terminals at the headlight bulb connector itself. Common issue. If that is the case then go on eBay and buy a pair of high heat ceramic connectors and wire those in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the DDM tuning 35 watt hid kit installed in my stock housing. its the high/low kit though so it only connects to the one power connector on the driver's side (closest to my battery where the kit also attaches). the kit connects to the battery, then stems off in two directions for each headlight. each stem has a ballast obviously with connectors for the original plug plus an individual connector that controls the high beams. i can get pictures tomorrow if they are necessary. how can i tell if the issue is the connector?

·
6,548 Posts
First, HIDs in stockers are a huge no-no. BUT, I'm thinking that one might be wired backward (when you have low beams on 1 HID bulb is on, on one side with the halogen on the other side, and when on high beam the roles are swapped).

One thing you should do is verify which bulbs are actually coming on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jstewart,
i dont have any halogens in my housings, i have a single bulb for my high and low beams. and i apologize for my lack of experience with the forum norms, these are my first posts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and i understand that hids in stock housing are generally not suggested and i have been considering purchasing projector headlights but i am unsure if i would be capable of installing them myself. if anybody knows of any projector housings that are simple plug and play or otherwise easy to install i would appreciate the suggestions.

·
54,338 Posts
Very easy to install, literally a couple of bolts. You'll need a harness and a different low beam bulb, there's how-to's here. Light output is better and you'll blind less people. If you want to go full on pimp status, jstewart there can make you custom lights you just plug right into the car which will light the road like OEM HID on an Infiniti.

·
6,548 Posts
Yeah, saw you had the telescopic bulbs from the how-to you posted. Still, there could be an issue in one of them being wired backwards. (causing one to be in high beam mode when the other is not)

All aftermarket housings have a normal H4 connector for the stock wiring, you don't have to plug any accessory lights in. I recommend depos, It's literally the H4 connector, those 3 10mm bolts up top and one metal nipple on the bottom of the light holding it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much would those cost? i am very interested in upgrading to something like that. if you could possibly give me more information about it i would appreciate it. and i have taken every precaution possible to avoid blinding people. the bulbs have shields on them and i adjusted them as best as i could with a friend driving in front of me to make sure they were aimed properly. there is still a bit of scatter though.

·
54,338 Posts
Yeah, saw you had the telescopic bulbs from the how-to you posted. Still, there could be an issue in one of them being wired backwards. (causing one to be in high beam mode when the other is not)

All aftermarket housings have a normal H4 connector for the stock wiring, you don't have to plug any accessory lights in. I recommend depos, It's literally the H4 connector, those 3 10mm bolts up top and one metal nipple on the bottom of the light holding it in.
Won't he need that harness to keep the lows on when the high beams are turned on though?

·
6,548 Posts
I'm not too sure how those telescopic bulbs work, all I know is they have something like a magnet inside of the base. (Never paid much attention to these kits) I'm assuming that those do require a simultaneous power signal to be sent to the telescoping function in order for it to engage properly. I'm also assuming that his kit came with that harness.

Him describing his problem in this way, "When I have my low beams on, it is clear that my right headlight is much brighter than my left. However, when I have my high beams on, the left headlight is noticeably brighter than the right", leads me to believe there's an issue with the wiring telling his... Right-side headlight when to be "high beam", as he put it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts